News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

CidE's 1968 440 Charger R/T build thread.

Started by CidE, July 21, 2010, 12:56:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CidE

Ok I posted some pictures in a thread and said I would post up my entire project till now. This car was rolled in 1980, sat in a field untill about 1995, where it was relocated to another field and sat under a tree until I picked it up in the summer of 2008.

Some background, My father and I have been restoring cars since I was old enough to pick up a wrench. We've restored several cars. At least 4 Chargers, A Road Runner, A Challenger, and a few other various cars over the years. My first car at 16 was a 318 68 Charger we found 3 cars up in a stack at a junk yard. The car was complete other than missing a driver side door. It even turned over with a battery and some gas. I drove that car through high school and into my mid 20's where I finally started a career and needed money to get a economical car for work, so I sold it. Now I'm older and wiser (disposable income) so I'm doing another one, with one exception.

Going into this project I knew I wasn't going to do a factory resto, so I planned to pick up a car accordingly. I originally was going to find a small block car that wasn't too desirable to convert and do what I wanted with, when I came across a car so bad off no one in their right mind would fix it. Thankfully for this car, I wasn't in my right mind. Some people probably would have just chopped this thing up, and I'm sad to admit I've probably parted out cars back in the day that weren't as bad off as this one was. Being a factory 440 car, I decided I would save it from what would probably be a gruesome fate. The following pictures are the last 2 years of sweat and blood.

From start to present.

The red car if you're curious, is my dads 68 Hemi R/T.

69bronzeT5

Glad to have you on the site! I don't know what else to say besides wow, what an introduction! Love the cars :cheers:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

six-tee-nine

Thanks for sharing, it's nice to see the site grow and welcome another expierienced guy aboard..... :cheers:
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

CidE

Fixed a couple broken links. Thanks for the welcome. I'll keep you guys posted as I go along. There's nothing to exciting happening right now, a lot of detail work cleaning everything up like new to go back into the car. My airbox is done and completely rebuilt, I don't seem to have a picture here though. We're putting both the cars together at the same time so we're pretty much doing two of everything. I'll be done rebuilding the wiper motors today which are now like new. Dash and grill are in the process, but I think I'm going to have my gauges sent out to get rebuilt if anyone wants to recommend someone who doesn't break the bank.

When I get to the T-56 install I'll make sure to document the process thoroughly.

bakerhillpins

:bow:

Like WOW. Looks great. Love the quiet flames in the paint!  :drool5:

:wave:

Welcome!
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

moparstuart

wanna sell that XS lic tag in the first picture  ?
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

CidE

Quote from: moparstuart on July 21, 2010, 01:39:22 PM
wanna sell that XS lic tag in the first picture  ?

Newp, it's original to the car and I plan on keeping it with it.

CidE

Quote from: bakerhillpins on July 21, 2010, 01:36:55 PM
:bow:

Like WOW. Looks great. Love the quiet flames in the paint!  :drool5:

:wave:

Welcome!

Thanks, I picked up the paint job at a charity auction. The guy does amazing custom work and I could have pretty much anything I wanted. I've never really been a big flames guy but I didn't want to waste the opportunity by doing something plain. The black actually has metallic red flake in it the same color as the flames and stripe, you can only see it in person and up close. I'm really happy with the way it turned out, the flames are just subtle enough, but in the sun they jump right out at you.

MRCHARGER

Wow! is exactly what I said when I got to the "painted cars" picture of this project. The flames look great! You have the coolest Dad on the planet. My Dad bought me a set of "Road Wheels" with BF Goodrich T/A's for my graduation gift but your Dad's 68 Hemi Charger....awesome.

CidE

Ok airbox / heater core before and after pictures. I think I hated rebuilding this thing the most out of anything so far.

And some bonus pictures.

What's this?  :icon_smile_wink:

69*F5*SE

tommymac

I love the flames being a Flame Guy.Nice find.

FastbackJon

"This was the dedication of the altar, in the day when it was anointed, by the princes of Israel: twelve chargers of silver, twelve silver bowls, twelve spoons of gold..." -- Numbers 7:84 KJV

Grim Jhaixus

And another rust bucket dodges the great junkheap in the sky. :coolgleamA:
"Scars" 1973 Base 318/904 Originally B5

Married on November 23rd, 2009
Fried all the electricals two weeks after purchase
Set on fire ~twice~
Overheated til it would diesel a full five minutes ~twice~

Never once didn't start, never stranded me, never once did not take me where I needed to go. Daily driver of 4+ years.

Currently undergoing 413/727 swap after I finally beat the 318 til it lost a headgasket. The kicker is the 318 still cranks and runs like nothing is wrong. I love my ca

Bob T

Welcome, great to see your 68 in progress, looks like on the way to being a winner now  :2thumbs:. and your Dads car needs a seperate thread  :icon_smile_cool:

Cheers Bob T
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

CidE

Quote from: Bob T on July 22, 2010, 04:18:11 AM
Welcome, great to see your 68 in progress, looks like on the way to being a winner now  :2thumbs:. and your Dads car needs a seperate thread  :icon_smile_cool:

Cheers Bob T

He did the body work on it like 10 years ago. There might be some pictures on film someone but whos knows where. Just consider this a dual build thread heh.

Picture of the day, wiper motors getting ready to go back together and other various thing's that came back from zinc.

tan top

nice work been going oh there  :yesnod:  thanks for posting the pictures !! keep them coming love looking at this kind of stuff  :popcrn: :2thumbs:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

WHITE AND RED 69

Great looking car.  :2thumbs:  What are the plans for motor, wheels, and suspension.
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

CidE

Quote from: WHITE AND RED 69 on July 22, 2010, 04:33:18 PM
Great looking car.  :2thumbs:  What are the plans for motor, wheels, and suspension.

Motor is still up in the air. I've got aluminum heads for it, but I've basically left it in the hands of my motor guy and told him how much money I want to spend. It'll have a cam and whatnot, but nothing crazy. As far as wheels go I've been looking at the American Racing Vintage 500 mag's, probably 17's. Nothing set in stone however and I could change my mind at any time. Suspension also really comes down to how much I want to spend. At the very least tubular A arms, front and rear sway bars, and whatever else I can fit into the budget. Economical suspension advice welcome.

68charger440R/T

1 of 33,514

thedodgeboys

If your looking at mostly stock stuff I would start with http://www.hotchkis.net/search.html?Make=13&Model=1251&SubmitForm=Search
And you can add parts as money allows you.  :Twocents:

CidE

Quote from: thedodgeboys on July 22, 2010, 07:36:57 PM
If your looking at mostly stock stuff I would start with http://www.hotchkis.net/search.html?Make=13&Model=1251&SubmitForm=Search
And you can add parts as money allows you.  :Twocents:

Shit man, time to start selling crack or something. I'd really like to just put up the 3k and have it over with. Oh well I guess I know where my next tax return is going.  :2thumbs:

Finn

1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

CidE

Still alive, been detailing stuff and waiting on parts. Mocked up the swing pedals for the clutch and brake, assembled the wiper motor and arms, and finished up some odds and ends on the rear end. E-brake pedal detailed and back in. Ordering a gas tank, sending unit, and tank pad tomorrow and will go right in when I get it. Did some undercoating under the ass end in preparation of putting the gas tank in.

Working on getting the bellhousing and adapter plate for the transmission so I can start cutting up the trans tunnel to accept the tranny. Once that's done I can put my ac box in as well as most of the interior pieces.

Did some paint work on the Hemi car, there were some areas on the inside that needed to get painted as well as a area in the rear window channel that needed to be fixed. Replaced the butt stripe due to a cat getting claw happy with the other one. Windshield wiper assembly ready to go in, as well as heater core.

I'll post up some pictures of the progress later this weekend or early next week.

CidE

CidE

Mocking up the replacement of the factory 6X9 in the dash.

drifter69

Als73charger

May I ask, approximately how much you purchased your car for? I am looking at a 68 in similar condition, but the guy wants $8K for it(non matching 440 and who knows what else). I am trying to figure out what to offer the guy, without getting burned.:shruggy: Al

CidE

Quote from: Als73charger on September 15, 2010, 12:22:03 PM
  May I ask, approximately how much you purchased your car for? I am looking at a 68 in similar condition, but the guy wants $8K for it(non matching 440 and who knows what else). I am trying to figure out what to offer the guy, without getting burned.:shruggy: Al

Well, I worked my deal out in trade, but from what I heard a complete R/T in that bad of shape could go for anywhere from 6-8k, so he's probably asking for the upper end of what it's worth.

Als73charger

Thanx for the info. I have some cash together, but nowhere near the 6K mark. Man these 2nd Gen cars are expensive. :brickwall:  Al

drifter69

I wish I could get through my project as fast as I just went through those pic's.  Nice job brother. :2thumbs:

Finn

1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L