News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How many quarts of oil for a 440 with a 6 qt. hemi pan?

Started by RECHRGD, July 20, 2010, 04:35:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RECHRGD

As some of you know, a couple of years ago I did a cam/head/valvetrain upgrade on my 440.  At the same time I installed a new 6 Qt. Hemi pan from Mancini Racing.  I've always put in just under 7 Qt's when changing oil and it would show about a Qt. above the 'full' mark on the stick.  There has always been more valvetrain noise than I liked that would be less or more at different times.  But, that has been thought to be brought on by the fast ramp of the cam combined with pro-magnum lifters and Crane Gold rocker arms.
This past weekend we went to a show about 120 miles away.  All seemed normal when going to the show.  On the way back the ticking noise was getting louder and I noticed the oil pressure dropping.  It normally runs between 60 to 70 pounds when going down the highway and it was now running below 40 pounds.  I pulled over to checked the oil and it was right at the full mark, which told me it was down a quart.  I dumped a quart in and the noise was still there but the pressure was looking better.  I went a couple of miles more and started up a long uphill grade.  As the car started going uphill the pressure fell to 30 pounds and I pulled over.  I didn't want to overfill the pan, so I put another 1/2 quart in and the engine quieted down.  The next several miles going uphill the pressure held at around 50 pounds and when I was back on level pavement it went to 60 pounds.  I then decided to put in the rest of 2nd quart and continued towards home.  Once we got off the highway and all the wind noise, I noticed that the ticking was completely gone!  So what is this telling me?  It seems I've been running less oil than the engine wants to see for a couple of years.  Should I be running 8 Qt's to keep the motor happy?  I did have one mechanic tell me a few years ago that stock 440s should take 7 Qts., but I was never able to confirm that and the shop manual says 5 +1 as I recall.   Confused as usual.   Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

John_Kunkel

Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Just 6T9 CHGR

I use 7qts total with my Hemi pan....I run Valvoline VR1 20w-50
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

RallyeMike

Regardless of the pan used, always check that the oil pickup is on the bottom of the pan. Are you sure that the right one was used AND the measurement checked?
The oil pickup needs to be on the very bottom of the pan or you could see what you are seeing during higher rpm driving.

Just one thought.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

RECHRGD

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on July 20, 2010, 08:22:55 PM
I use 7qts total with my Hemi pan....I run Valvoline VR1 20w-50

I use the same oil.

Quote from: RallyeMike on July 20, 2010, 08:37:03 PM
Regardless of the pan used, always check that the oil pickup is on the bottom of the pan. Are you sure that the right one was used AND the measurement checked?
The oil pickup needs to be on the very bottom of the pan or you could see what you are seeing during higher rpm driving.

Just one thought.

The pick up is at the bottom of the pan.
13.53 @ 105.32

A383Wing

I got a Hemi pan & pickup tube on my black 66 with 383.....holds 7 quarts total with oil filter

elacruze

Quote from: RECHRGD on July 20, 2010, 10:18:51 PM

The pick up is at the bottom of the pan.

If the pickup is at the bottom, the only possibility is that you have a vacuum leak which disables the pump draw below a certain level. Check the thread seal, and be certain there are no cracks around the pickup inlet.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.