News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Actual engine temp

Started by Paul G, July 17, 2010, 07:07:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul G

I am finding with the summer heat in full swing my 72 is running very hot with the A/C on. By very hot, I mean the temp gauge in the car is going over 225 toward 250. I am starting to worry.

I took my digital laser thermometer out and took some temps of the engine while idling, A/C off. It will cool down a bit with the A/C off. The T-stat housing/water neck is reading 205, temp sending unit is reading 195, and the gauge in the car is at 220. I have Auto Meter gauges in the dash. 160 T-stat is brand new, a full bottle of Water Wetter in the radiator. And it is around 110 outside right now. Stock radiator with stock shroud and fan/clutch.

Could the dash gauge just be reading a little hotter than the actual engine temp?
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

1970Moparmann

You answered your own question.  The gauge should read where the temp sensor is.  If your engine was at 250, you would have had some serious results.  :yesnod:
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

histoy

Your Auto Meter gauge may not be compatible with the temp sending unit in the car.  I would check with their tech people. 

firefighter3931

Quote from: 1970Moparmann on July 17, 2010, 07:18:24 PM
You answered your own question.  The gauge should read where the temp sensor is.  If your engine was at 250, you would have had some serious results.  :yesnod:

Exactly....the guage is reading incorrect for some reason.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs