News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

anyone used panel glue for anything other than roof skin ?

Started by charger_fan_4ever, July 15, 2010, 11:19:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charger_fan_4ever

Gearing up to have full AMD 1/4's installed in the near future. We are going to use the glue for the roof skin instal. Got me thinking about using it for the full 1/4's and then just using a punch on the door jambs and gutter to imitate the spotwelds. Probably just weld around the window channel.

Wondering what people have used the glue for other than roof skins.

Highbanked Hauler

As long as you have bare metal to bare metal contact with a good fit it can be used just about anywhere as long as you weld a few spots. On a quarter I would weld around the tail lights and the door jam other than that you should be good to go.  Being an old timer doing crash work it was a hard sell for me to bond panels rather than weld but like any new technology it works great.  With bonding you are almost completely seam sealed when you are done. I have used 3M and SEM and no complaints with either but bare metal is a must. :2thumbs:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

adauto

We used it on my gas tank/trunk floor  braces when we redid the trunk floor... 3 years ago! no probs!
Never too many! 70 Chally R/T Convert-70 GTX-68-69-74 Charger-68 Dart GTS

http://a-dauto.com/  http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Drop Top

I just installed both 1/4 skins on a 71 camero. I installed compeat floors on a 69 Charger about 3 weeks ago. All the panels on the Charger front to rear including the wheel wells are being changed out. I'm planning on useing it on as much as possable. When I do weld it will be the old school way of hammer (gas) welding. I've used it on many aplications. But I also weld in some places. I basicly use it on areas that tend to worp easy. Saves alot of time and materials. In turn it save my customers $$$. Like was stated above It took some selling to trust it. But after about 3 years of using it I belive.

charger_fan_4ever

I'm thinking now it would be a race to get the 1/4 on and clamped after laying the glue no ?

Drop Top

Just make shure you prefit the panel compleat with clamps and/or vice grips. Once it is fit and alined right, with a helper practice a few times before putting on the car. Make shure you practice with the clamps. (In sensitve areas I will use a paint stick between the clamp and the skin This inshures no little dents to deal with latter.) once your comfortable go ahead and put the glue on. Then clamp it down. You will have plenty of time to do it.

charger_fan_4ever

Wheels are turning now. No burn marks from the weld up at the roof joint when you peek in from the trunk. Imitate some spot weld marks and done.

Drop Top

Just a reminder I only use the adheasive where it is needed to help prevent worpage. Welding next to where the glue is will melt it out. I like it but I still weld in along the 1/4 to roof seam and the pench welds I have a spot welder I bought from Harbor Freight that I use where I can fit it into. Its actualy faster.

elitecustombody

Quote from: charger_fan_4ever on July 15, 2010, 06:27:33 PM
I'm thinking now it would be a race to get the 1/4 on and clamped after laying the glue no ?

There are few different curing speed adhesives available,slower for larger panels and faster for smaller ones, usually you have plenty of time , on average it's about 30-45 working time before the adhesive starts to get harder, and it won't just get hard in an instant,it takes usually 3-5 hours for it to set,or you can roll it out in the sun to speed up the curing process.

I agree with Highbanked Hauler, make sure you apply it on bare metal, I usually will apply a bead and spread it with a brush to make sure t completely cover all bare metal, then run another bead and clamp the panel down, that way you know you won't have any rust forming ,this is the best part about the bonding adhesive, because you won't have to worry about rust forming between the panels ,it completely seals it and gives the body even more rigidity and best of all ,no grinding and dressing the welds. However it is recommended to  do spot welds around taillight ,at the rocker and roof to quarter joint welded solid.

AMD-Auto Metal Direct  Distributor, email me for all your shetmetal needs

Stefan

stingger68

anyone have any pix of this being done. it's looking like by the time i get my body done i'll have replaced every panle from the doors back. i need all :popcrn: the info i can get lol..

65post

Previously owned Daytona XX29L9B423239 - f8 - white int. - power windows.

charger_fan_4ever

Quote from: stingger68 on July 17, 2010, 06:36:32 PM
anyone have any pix of this being done. it's looking like by the time i get my body done i'll have replaced every panle from the doors back. i need al :popcrn:l the info i can get lol..

I hear ya. I have full 1/4's roof skin,trunk floor,trunk extensions,tail panel,rear valance,corners,dutchman panel and lower plenum to go in in the next few months. Have put in a 1 piece amd floor,both door hinge pillars,upper and lower cowl, rear footwells. Rear seat pan was pretty good just have a section on the passengers side to change out from a donor. Front clip is solid. Piece under the battery change to change out from a donor. Small hole on the passengers side size of a quarter. I'm amazed that the frame rails,firewall,shock towers,rear inners are so solid. Still had original paint. It definitely rotted weird. I'm going to start a thread

think i'll follow in ridelikehell's footsteps and call the the thread
70 r/t resto not scared either
lol

b5blue

Wow I want to see this build...it will be like having an X Ray of a 70 Charger.  :2thumbs:

stingger68

bill440rt

READ THE MANUFACTURER'S TECH SHEETS ON WHERE THE ADHESIVE CAN/CANNOT BE USED!!!

I used 3M's panel bond adhesive in several areas on my '69. Trunk floor, wheelhouse, quarter, etc. I also used this in conjunction with welding.

DO NOT use panel bond adhesive on an exterior seam. It has a different expansion/contraction rate than steel and eventually you will see a ghost line. For example, I sectioned in a 1/4 panel skin (full 1/4's weren't out yet). All along the bottom by the trunk floor extension, wheelhouse, & rocker it was glued. Up the back, across the top, and down the door jamb it was WELDED.

The expansion/contraction issue may only be a cosmetic concern, but there are also safety concerns. The adhesive is supposed to be a stronger bond than welding, so care must be taken if you are attaching parts to frame rails (trunk floor, etc), rear body panels, etc. A trunk floor that is bonded may transfer collision energy different than one that is welded, etc.

READ THE TECH SHEETS!!!!
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

charger_fan_4ever

Thanks for all the info guys, defineatly some food for thought. One brother is doing all the welding and metal work, the other the body work and paint. One has been at it for 35 years and the other 27, so ultimately the decision will be up to them. To date they have used the panel bonding only on collision jobs were it was bonded from the factory. All the restorations they have done in the past any metal work was all done with a mig.

The roofskin is a for sure with panel bond, the rest I'll leave it up to them.

six-tee-nine

Take alot of pictures if you want. I've been asking myself if this would be usable as a hobby guy for quite a while now.

It seems faster than welding. But however I'm a complete rookie on the matter so that still scares me off a bit. However for the replacement of a trunk pan it seems like a very good solution....
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

elitecustombody

there are dozens of videos on youtube if anyone wants to see how this is done ,just do a search.

AMD-Auto Metal Direct  Distributor, email me for all your shetmetal needs

Stefan