News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Photos and recap last page(s)! 2011 DSAC WW/NBOA national meet

Started by pettybird, July 16, 2010, 04:40:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pettybird

Stainless Works confirmed we can stop by on Thursday.  The wheel place backed out (boo) and Summit confirmed.  For an evening activity, we'll be going to a local Home Days, where there will be cool stuff to do, shops to walk through, etc, and they're giving us parking on the town square.  Afterwards I'm hoping the Clydesdales will be back at my friend's farm (he'll know for certain) and we can stop by.

T shirts will be in solid colors only--the printer says they'll be nearly unreadable on tiedye.  We're thinking orange and black or orange and purple.  Any other suggestions?  I have to pull the trigger in the morning!

Mopurr

twinscrew698

Doug!!

Still off of work from my surgery, but if you need help moving those "Hemi" Cars let me know i can drive an Automatic no Problem!!

Or any of those Wing Cars!!! Ha Ha!!

pettybird

pettybird

tie dye is a no go.  my design is too 'tight' and you wouldn't be able to see it...

the shirts will be Petty Blue or Hemi Orange.  I also ordered a COUPLE sweatshirts in the following sizes:

orange:

1 small
1 med
2 lg
2 xl

blue:

2 lg
2xl

you'll need to speak up quickly for those!  shirts should be in by next Thursday.  If there are extras we'll bring them to Indy.

Aero426

learical1

Bruce

pettybird

Quote from: Aero426 on June 17, 2011, 12:47:50 PM
That must be the Sharon Porter special edition sweatshirt. 

ding ding ding

shirts are going to be $15 or 2/$25

pettybird

For those attending Tuesday:

The car show is at 6185 Enterprise parkway, Solon OH 44139.  This is about 8 minutes from the hotel.  If you're coming straight through, and not stopping at the hotel, your GPS will find the way.

If you're going to the hotel first, there are a couple of known cars leaving at 5:30 or thereabouts.  Quick directions to the show are:

Get back on interstate 271 South.  Take approx. 4 miles to the 271/422/480 split.  You'll want to be in one of the middle lanes, preferably the center right.  271 splits off first--don't get caught all the way left.  800ft after that 422 east branches off to the left--take that.  Get off at the first exit, Harper/Cochran rd.  Go right (you'll see Stouffer's frozen foods headquarters on your right) and continue to the second traffic light.  That's Aurora Rd--go left.  a 1/4 mile up is Enterprise parkway, and it's the first light.  Enterprise is about a 1/4 mile long--the car show is all the way at the end.  You'll see signs. 

Other than the oddball freeway split, the driving is MUCH simpler done than said.  If you get lost, or take a wrong turn at Albuquerque, give me a call 216.789.4053.  Mom will probably be hanging out at the hotel starting at 4:30 or so in the Petty car. 

We'll have maps and directions in your arrival packets for the rest of the show.

70Sbird

Doug and all,
I had to make the decision today, I'm not going to be able to make it.
I finished my engine this morning and still have a few issues to deal with, but I am also a believer in signs....
My boss approached me on Friday and asked if I could trade my vacation next week for later date as he needs me to fly to Orlando Wednesday through Friday, the same afternoon I received an invitation to my aunt's (raised me for most of my teen life) 40th wedding  anniversary surprise celebration on Saturday. that was enough for me. I'll have to wait until Indy now to see all of you fine folks.
If anyone needs a room, I still have a reservation at the Hilton for Tuesday through Saturday that I have not yet canceled. let me know soon if anyone needs it.
I'm pretty bummed as I was looking forward to the activities and the BE&A visit on Saturday.
Scott

Scott Faulkner

pettybird

well, you no good, dirty SOB. 

we did the same with the Duluth meet a couple years back--just a lot of whispers/signs saying 'stay home.'  If you can come this way at any other junction we'd be glad to show your our fair city!

we'll see if we can get your painted-minus-motor bird and my disassembled-yet motor-installed car at Indy  :lol:

pettybird

OH, THE PLACES
WE'LL
VISIT:

Tuesday:
Solon car show
6185 Enterprise Parkway
Solon OH 44139

Wednesday:
Crawford Auto-Aviation
Museum (et al)
10825 East Boulevard
Cleveland, OH 44106
(216) 721-5722
--all museums within
   walking distance

Whirlyball
5055 Richmond Rd # 2
Cleveland, OH 44146
(216) 591-0707

Thursday:
Stainless Works Exhaust
9899 E. Washington Street
Chagrin Falls, OH 44023
(800) 878-3635

Summit Racing Equipment
1200 Southeast Avenue
Tallmadege, OH 44278
(330) 630-0250

Brecksville Town Center
49 Public Square (approximately)
Brecksville, OH 44141

Maple Crest Farms
6298 Miller Rd
Brecksville, OH 44141

Friday:

Cleveland Browns Stadium:
1085 West 3rd Street
Cleveland, OH 44114
--rock hall, etc next door

R&H Motorcar Group
6441 Davis Industrial Pkwy
Solon OH 44139

Saturday:
Dove Manufacturing
27114 Royalton Road
Columbia Station, OH 44028

B/E&A Restoration Parts
8801 Norwalk Road
Litchfield, OH 44253

pettybird

Part one of the schedule and directions.  We'll have them printed out in your arrival packets, too.

SCHEDULE AND DIRECTIONS

Welcome to Cleveland, one and all! I, Doug Croxford, and my mother Carol will be your hosts. If you can't find us, or you're lost, broken down, in the middle on an existential quandary, etc. give us a call on our cell phones.  Doug's is 216.789.4053, and Carol's is 216.789.4047. 

You'll notice we're leaving later in the mornings than at many meets.  We're right on a main interstate corridor with LOTS of commuters, and leaving just a bit tardy means a whole load less traffic!

Our host hotel is at 3663 Park East Drive, Beachwood, OH 44122. Yes, you made it here, but plug it into your GPS anyway.  Their phone number is (216) 464-5950. We have a room set aside from Wednesday through Friday night, so bring your pictures, movies and more to share. Unfortunately we'll have to pack it up every night—they use it during the day as well. 

Tuesday is arrival time and the Solon Car Cruise. By 4:30, Carol will be at the hotel with the Petty 'bird and can lead the procession to the show. 

Directions are as follows:  Turn right out of the parking lot and return to Chagrin Road.  Turn right, and take interstate 271 SOUTH. Take for 2 miles to the 271/422/480 split. You'll want to be in one of the middle lanes, preferably the center right. 271 splits off first--don't get caught all the way left. 800ft after that 422 east branches off to the left--take that. Get off 3 miles later at the first exit, Harper/Cochran rd. Go right (you'll see Stouffer's frozen foods headquarters on your right) and continue to the second traffic light. That's Aurora Rd--go left. a 1/4 mile up is Enterprise parkway, and it's the first light. Enterprise is about a 1/4 mile long--the car show is all the way at the end. You'll see signs.  The return trip is simply the reverse—no trickery. 

Wednesday we're leaving the hotel at 9:15 AM. We'll be at our Cleveland's museum campus. There are four major attractions: The Cleveland Museum of Art, Museum of Natural History, Cleveland Botanical Center, and the Crawford Auto Aviation Museum. All four have cafeterias, and we'll just have lunch there. The museums open between 9 and 10 and close between 4 and 5.  The art museum is free, while the others have admission charges.  If you go to the Crawford, tell them you're with the Daytona Superbird Auto Club for a group rate discount.  Find either Doug or Carol if you're on the fence as to which ones to go to.  In a full day there you'll want to pick two...more is overwhelming and you'll be rushed. 

Directions are as follows:  Turn LEFT out of the parking lot and follow around until the road dead ends into Richmond Rd.  Go 1.5 miles to Shaker Rd. WEST.  It's a split road with a park in the middle, and you don't want to turn right at the first one.  Turn LEFT, and take 5.5 miles to East 161st st.  As a landmark, you'll be driving through Shaker Square ¾ of a mile before the turn.  Go RIGHT on 161st st.  The driving here gets a little tricky as the name changes to Martin Luther King Jr Blvd.  Take for 1.6 miles and WATCH:  to stay on MLK blvd you need to go RIGHT once it's merged with SR322.  Take that portion ½ mile to the traffic circle, and take the first RIGHT onto East Blvd.  Parking TBA, but it's a fairly busy area with lots of little lots, street parking, etc.

If you'd like to go straight back to the hotel, there are a number of changes, and you'll have to pay attention as the roads are anything but straight.  Go back on East Blvd to the traffic circle, and take stright through to E105th st.  Turn LEFT, and take south ¾ mile to Carnegie.  Take another LEFT, go 1/10 mile and turn RIGHT onto Stokes Blvd.  Go 8/10 mile to MLK Blvd, and go RIGHT.  ¾ of a mile later you're back to Shaker—take that LEFT, continuing for 5.5 miles.  Turn RIGHT on Richmond and take for nearly a mile.  Turn LEFT on Chagrin, and RIGHT onto Park East a ¼ mile later, the hotel's road. 

Alternate:  Doug will be leading a side trip to see the nearly completed B5 Superbird at the body shop.  It's supposed to be painted this week!  If you're feeling touristy, this is the way to go, as we'll be passing our international cultural gardens and driving under WPA-project underpasses.  Take East Blvd back to the traffic circle where you'll stay STRAIGHT through onto MLK Blvd EAST.  This is a lovely winding road with lots to see out the side windows.  Take for 2.3 miles to interstate 90 EAST.  Go 5.9 miles to E 222nd St.  The exit ramp is long, but when you get to 222nd turn RIGHT.  In .4 miles you'll get to a traffic light at Tungsten Rd:  Go RIGHT.  The body shop is at 21711, on the right.  Doug will be the first there so just look for a 'bird outside!

After we're done there, head back to 222nd street, and turn LEFT to go back to the freeway.  Take 90 EAST (via the marginal rd,) staying in the RIGHT lanes at the 90/2 split.  Go a total of 4.2 miles from 222nd st to the 271/90 merger, where you'll take 271 SOUTH.  Go nearly 10 miles back to Chagrin Rd, where you'll take a RIGHT.  Turn LEFT onto Park East. 

Wednesday night we will be battling at Whirlyball.  Our court rental is from 7-9PM.  Maybe you laid awake one night, thinking how cool it would be to shoot a whiffle ball at a basketball backboard with a Jai Lai stick in teams of five players...in dodgem cars. WISH GRANTED.  It's a blast, and there's a cash bar! The rental is $300 total, so participation will determine cost.  If the ranks look thin I can recruit some friends/coworkers to play as well.  We can make a stop off at the Winking Lizard Tavern just west on Miles before or afterwards—it's a big sports bar with hundreds of beers and some very good food. 

Directions are as follows:  We're only 3 miles from this one!  Turn LEFT out of the hotel parking lot and follow along to where it dead ends at Richmond Road.  Turn LEFT, and take for 2.4 miles.  You know you're close when you cross Miles Rd—look for the 3rd driveway or so on the left.  The entrance is set back from the street in the far corner of the building, which is obvious when you see the parking lot.  Return is the reverse!

Aero426

pettybird

the rest will be up tonight...still working on the last minute details!

hemigeno

I am genuinely bummed not to be able to make the show, Doug.  You've put a lot of effort into making all the arrangements, and I really hope everything goes smoothly.

One of these years I will not only have an aero car to bring, but will be able to fit it into the ol' schedule.  The family would enjoy an event such as yours or the one Larry & Stuart put on last year in Branson MUCH more than walking the show fields & swap meets at Carlisle.

Hope all you guys have a blast!!

:cheers:

moparstuart

Wish i was there brother  , get lots of pictures and say hello to all my wing friends and let them know we are really missing being there .  We had planned to leave friday and vacation and tour all the way there .  No canton or RR hall of fame for me  .

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Mopar John

I hope everyone has a uneventfull safe trip in! Doug ( Aero426 ) just posted in his newsletter about trailer tire pressures. This may be the first long distance haul for some of us and we need to check those tires. Also after what happened to Linda and I last year be sure to check the pressure in your spare also! If I hadn't had my cigarette lighter air compressor the spare wouldn't have got us to the next exit it was so low! I had fairly new tires and hadn't checked it in probably 2 or 3 years! Don't make the same mistake!
See you in Cleveland!
Mopar John

70Sbird

As Geno and Stuart said earlier, wish I was goin to be there!
Now the reality is setting in that I won't be going as I am preparring to leave for Florida.
:'(
Hope everyone has a great time and Now I'm looking forward to Indy even more.

Last call for the hotel room. I have a double room still reserved at the Hilton for Tuesday through Saturday night.
I'm going to cancel it by tomorrow in no one needs it.
Scott

Scott Faulkner

pettybird

missing the meet sucks, but it's really cool we're getting a second chance to get together this year!

pettybird

man, this is some long-winded drivel... 

Thursday day we'll be touring around, starting out at 9:15 AM.  First up is Stainless Works Exhaust.  These guys build killer systems, including one for B and E bodies!  You'll then have to make a decision as to where you'd like to go. 

Directions are as follows:

Go RIGHT out of the hotel parking lot, turning RIGHT onto Chagrin Rd.  1.6 Miles later you'll reach a traffic circle.  Take the SECOND RIGHT to stay on Chagrin.  11 Miles later Stainless Works will be on the RIGHT.  There's only one oddity on the route: Chagrin turns into Orange, and then Mill, then Cleveland Rd and then Washington Rd, but you won't leave it!  Watch the signs but don't be alarmed. 

After Stainless Works, we'll be splitting up—Carol's been to Summit more times than she can count, so she'll lead those interested to Aurora Farms Outlet Mall.  The rest of you motley lot are stuck with Doug, but at least you're having lunch at a cool carhop and going to Summit Racing.

To Aurora Farms:  Leave Stainless Works to your RIGHT.  Take for 8/10 mile to Munn Road, and go RIGHT.  Cross under the freeway, and take the second RIGHT onto Taylor May rd.  3.5 Miles later it dead ends into SR306-go LEFT.  4.7 miles later the complex will be on your LEFT.  Doug is a very happy person when presented with chocolate covered dried cherries from Harry & David. 

From Aurora Farms to the hotel:  Take SR306 RIGHT (north) for 6 miles, and get on SR422 WEST.  Drive   2.1 Miles later you'll be back at the Chagrin Rd exit—turn LEFT then LEFT onto Park East to get back to the hotel.

To Swenson's Drive In:  Exit Stainless Works LEFT, going 1.1 miles to Snyder Rd.  Go LEFT, taking Snyder for ¾ mile to get to Bainbridge.  Go RIGHT on Bainbridge for 1.6 miles to SR422.  Take WEST for 9.2 miles to the 271 merger, and take 271 SOUTH.  Travel 8.6 miles to SR8 SOUTH.  13.4 Miles later, exit at Howe Ave.  At the traffic light, go RIGHT for a half mile, and Swenson's will be on your LEFT.  The food is great, of course, but the real kicker is that the kids taking your orders MUST RUN AT ALL TIMES. You'll have to see it! Order breaded mushrooms with your burgers!

To Summit:   Take a RIGHT out of the parking lot and return to SR8.  Continue SOUTH for 3.5 miles, exiting onto I76 EAST.  Take for 5.5 miles, to SR532.  Go LEFT at the exit ramp, and Summit is very conspicuously on your LEFT. 

From Summit to the hotel:  Return to I76, going WEST.  Drive back the 5.5 miles to SR8, and go NORTH.  16.5 Miles later merge onto I271 NORTH, and take 12.5 miles back to Chagrin Rd exit. 

Thursday night is Brecksville Home Days, if you're not too worn out from the day's events.  It's a cute town center with lots of shops and things going on.  They'll save us parking if we're going. 

Get back to I271 SOUTH and take 480 WEST two miles later, exiting to the RIGHT.  Take for 7.7 miles to I77 SOUTH.  Take I77 for 7 miles to SR82.  Exit EAST, and continue to the town square, 1.6 miles later.  Returning is simply the opposite. 

Friday day is a trip downtown to the Cleveland lakefront. Our first stop is a tour of Cleveland Browns Stadium, complete with stops in the press box and the playing field.  The price is a measly five bucks, which about the net worth of the Browns themselves!  The big draw is the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum, as well as the adjacent Great Lakes Science Center. The first is a must-see in Cleveland and one of our brightest calling cards while the other is a hands-on, touch-and-play-with-everything type of museum.  This WILL fill your day, but there are a couple of options.  The William G Mather is a Great Lakes freighter-turned museum, and it's parked in front of the rock hall.  A couple blocks away from the USS Cod, one of the last surviving WWII submarines in the world.  One other quirky idea for Thursday or Friday--Cleveland is home to the house used in the movie "The Christmas Story," and it's been completely rebuilt to look like the movie. There's even a gift shop, so you KNOW it's a legit deal!

Get to Chagrin Rd, and take 271 SOUTH for 2.1 miles to the 271/480 merger.  Take 480 WEST (to the right) for 9 miles to SR176 NORTH.  Take for 3.5 miles, and stay LEFT to get onto 90 EAST.  Go two miles to E 9th st. NORTH.  Take for 1.5 miles directly to the Port Authority parking lot at the end of E 9th st. pier.  It's $8 to park, and we should be able to cluster together pretty effectively, and watch the cars from the attractions.  When you get off the freeway, you'll be driving right past Progressive Field where the 1st Place Cleveland Indians play...yep, sounds weird to us, too!  A little while later you'll pass St. John's Cathedral on the right, which is one of the oldest churches in Cleveland. 

Friday night will be the club(s) raffle and pizza party at R&H Motorcars. Check out www.motorcargroup.com to see our inventory and space. Bring your car show chairs--we don't have a lot of seating as it's a warehouse/dealership. ALSO, and new, will be a memorabilia/toy swap area--I have a couple toy vendor friends who are setting aside some cool stuff, and you are welcome to bring yours, too! This is more or less just so you can foist your doubles on some unsuspecting fool, all while they do the same to you! Price for selling is one decent item donated to the club raffle. Such a deal!

Basically, we're going back past the car show where we were at Tuesday.  Chagrin to 271 SOUTH, 422 EAST to Harper/Cochran, LEFT on Aurora.  Pass the car show's light and continue a total of 1.5 miles to Solon Rd.  Go RIGHT, and at the first light (within a couple hundred feet) go LEFT at the light at Davis Industrial Parkway.  R&H is the 3rd/4th driveways on the LEFT.  Going back is the reverse.

Saturday day will be at BE/A, leaving by about 10, where Mike Ross and staff will be our hosts for a picnic and look-see at his new place. He's done this in the past with a bunch of guys from Moparts, and he's combining that with our group! It's a cookout, beverages and more! He brings in more than 25-30 cars for the Moparts gathering, so it will be a great turnout! Since it's on the way I'm going to try and get the guys from Dove Performance to let us in on that Saturday morning. Mom and I went to Mike's last gathering in the winter, and there were more than 50 people there! If it's half as good in June as it was in the dead of winter, you're in for a treat!

Saturday's alternate (and really concurrent) event will be antiquing with mom about 10 miles away. She'll show you some severely overpacked shops, the cute town square of Medina, and the Root Candle headquarters and store. It's HUGE.

Since this is Saturday, we'll be fine on the roads.  Get to Chagrin Rd, and take 271 SOUTH for 2.1 miles to the 271/480 merger.  Take 480 WEST (to the right) for 27 miles, where 480 will end.  You'll find yourself at a split where you'll need to take SR10, to the LEFT.  Go 3 miles to SR83.  For some reason, this exit is screwy, and you're actually backtracking to SR83.  Turn LEFT off of the freeway, and drive for about ½ mile until the road ends.  Turn LEFT again, and you'll see signs for SR83, which is about a half mile away.  Turn RIGHT, and take SR83 for about 13 miles.  Yes, you're passing a prison.  And  yes, that's another one.  And another one.  On a positive note, there are a lot of VERY friendly and anxious hitchhikers...talk about a friendly place!  Your newfound friends and yourselves will then reach a traffic circle at SR18.  Follow it around to go EAST, and take that for about a mile.  B/E&A is on your LEFT.

Antiquing with Carol happens about 7 miles further EAST on SR18...she'll get you back safely! 

I know people will start leaving Saturday, and we'll be a while at BE/A, so there really isn't much planned for evening. There are a couple car shows directly on the way back to the motel, though, so it'd be easy enough to hit one.  We'll entertain until you're sick of our lousy hospitality!

That's the bulk of what you need to know, but we're going further. We'll be finding and posting interesting things to do on your way in. Coming from the west? Stop off in the Lake Erie islands just east of Toledo off 90. Coming from the east? Pittsburgh's got a lot of great things to do on 76/80. From the south? Columbus, Canton and more are a couple hours from here. From the north? Start swimming!

Aero426

pettybird