News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

GarageMahal and what I found up the street

Started by DrHemi, July 16, 2010, 02:09:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrHemi

These aren't really Mopar stories but I hope someone finds them as interesting as me.

So the other day, feeling kinda stalkerish, I followed the Rolls-Royce I knew was about a block away from my house. I'd never really seen the car up close and had met the guy once and he is one of my mom's patients so I pulled in after him and introduced myself and asked about the car. It's a long wheelbase Silver Shadow. Rare in that it doesn't have a divider window. Gorgeous car. He told me that George Foreman was in town and needed some money. So the guy asked how much for the Rolls and wrote him a check right there. I thought wow George Foreman's old Rolls. He said you think that's neat lemme open the garage. Inside is a 63 or 64 Silver Cloud III. Turns out it was the last car Winston Churchill had before he died. We get to talking about how Rolls-Royces just aren't as pretty anymore. He tells me to follow him. We go to a garage a little further back and he opens the door. One side is an early Corvair (with A/C) and the other side is a 99 Silver Dawn. I think I'm remembering these years and names right. Anyway. It was one of the last models still hand built. The previous owner was a guy in one of the Carolinas. He went into the dealership and designed the car how he wanted it with no budget. Talk about LOADED. This car was GORGEOUS. I was never a big fan of the more modern Rolls' until this one. All the trim was sterling silver. He even opted for the $40k burlwood option. On a sad note, the week after he received the car he went to his doctor and found he was eat up with cancer so the wife took the car back to the dealership. All the Rolls-Royces were a very pretty burgundy color. I think it's called Garnet. All are regularly driven and everything works. I come to find out he also has some cars in storage. Including a dual sidemount LaSalle. Some folks are just lucky. Next time I hope to get some pics and maybe find out about this storage place.

Onto GarageMahal. This is the garage of the brother (and father of a very lovely lady) of the guy that is building my Charger's engine. Luckily, the daughter is rather fond of me and took me on a tour of the garage. When you first walk in, to the left are two rooms and finally a paint booth (this had a 1967 Chevy Nova with a 350 and 4spd being changed from black to white in it). Going straight is a work area complete with lift and a couple spare flatheads laying around. Beyond this is the showroom. This is where I had to get the mop for my drool. When you first walk in you see a flamed 34 Ford Coupe. It has a Jericho transmission hooked up to a Boss 429. Sitting next to it is a spare Boss 429 engine. He also has one of the super rare Can-Am blocks. I'm not sure if that's the block in the picture. Next to it is a 36 Ford 3window. This has a Muncie 4 speed hooked up to a 350. The 350 was purchased in the 60s for something like $400 (they have the receipt) and it came out of I think an Impala that had around 10 miles on it (guess the guy wrecked it on the way home). Next to the 3window is a 32 Ford Roadster. Again with a 350 but this has an automatic. The Nova, 36, and 32 were built by the girl's grandfather. He built the 32 for his wife (very sweet). Behind all these is a 1936 Ford Phaeton. This one is stock and has the flathead V8. Upstairs runs the entire length of the garage. There are spare parts lining both sides. They have a sort of trapdoor elevator they use to put stuff up there. At the end of the room is another room filled with Schwinn bicycles. I was even more jealous when I found out the basement of the house was basically a Man Room. Complete with bar and kitchenette. It had a room with a pool table, sit down PacMan game, and a big screen TV. One whole wall was filled with toy cars (seems like every Redline Hot Wheel in every color) while the other wall had the gun cabinet. If this is what Heaven is like I am going to start behaving.

1938 Packard 120
1957 Studebaker Silver Hawk
1963 Ford Fairlane 500
1964 Ford Fairlane 500 (RIP due to code enforcement)
1970 Dodge Charger 500
1972 MG Midget
1987 Maserati BiTurbo Si

tan top

intresting collection of stuff ,  :yesnod:  thanks for sharing  :2thumbs:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

bakerhillpins

Aw man, Banana seat bicycles... We made those things into choppers by extending the forks like 3ft back in the day.  :lol:

Thanks for the memories.  :cheers:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

DrHemi

1938 Packard 120
1963 Ford Fairlane 500
1970 Dodge Charger 500
1972 MG Midget
1987 Maserati BiTurbo Si

bakerhillpins

One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Brock Samson

really enjoyed the pics especially the Boss 429 SemiHemi and the bikes and ford grills...   :2thumbs:

68X426

You found my bike! So that's where it landed after all these years. :D

Thanks for sharing, great stuff.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

FlatbackFanatic

Flatback Fanatic, Kurt  , MN

DrHemi

To think we put some Schwinns at the curb for garbage in the early 90s
1938 Packard 120
1963 Ford Fairlane 500
1970 Dodge Charger 500
1972 MG Midget
1987 Maserati BiTurbo Si