News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Bellhousing bolts - sizes?

Started by doctorpimp, September 03, 2007, 07:41:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doctorpimp

1973 400...
I can't find my starter and bellhousing bolts.  I think I may have left them in an old oilpan that I gave away...

What grade/sizes/lengths do I need?  I'm not concerned with NOS original look  ;)

Thanks  :coolgleamA:
'73 Coupe, 470, Keisler 5spd, 3.55 SG; Petty Blue; Hideaway Headlights.

www.cardomain.com/ride/2119216

doctorpimp

Ok.  I went and measured them myself.  This is what I figure on:

3/8 course x 1.5" with washer, grade 8 - Qty 5

7/16 course x 2" with washer and lock washer - Qty 2

Am I right?  I'm going to the parts bin tomorrow...

Back N Black

Hey Paul,
Where are you working at now?  still at 2 svc Bn?  btw i don't know what size bolts you need.

later
Eldon

doctorpimp

Hey Eldon!
How are things?

PM sent  :icon_smile_big:

John_Kunkel

Below are the sizes for an automatic:

The top four bolts are 3/8"-16 X 1 1/4" long.

The bottom two bolts are 7/16"-14, the starter side is 2" long and the opposite side is 1 3/4" long.

The starter stud goes on the bottom, it is 7/16" X 2". The top of the starter takes a 7/16"-14 X 1 1/2".

All of the original bolts are the captive washer type and the length measurement is taken from the thread side of the washer to the end of the threads.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

doctorpimp

Thanks John!
That is exactly what I need!!!
:thumbs:

EccentricMagpies

I was searching on the site for the bolt size for a 74'  360 / 4spd bell housing.
would it be the same as the 400 that was posted here?

I don't know if my drive-train currently has the wrong length bolts or missing lock washers or what.
3 weeks ago, one bolt came loose by the oil filter and rubbed a hole in the filter.  That happened on a Sunday evening so I dropped it off at a local shop and borrowed a vehicle....  One would think they would have checked the other bolts.  Picked up the car and it's sat since this morning.... today I 'lost' the 2 bolts from the starter.  I was able to get one in without the capability to raise the car, which was enough to start it and get it home.

'74 Rallye 4spd (WH23L4) (1 of 94)
'74 Rallye Auto (WH23L4) (quad black)
'69 Swinger 340 - 4spd
'70 Duster 340 - 4spd

EccentricMagpies

hmmmmm...
actually reading some more posts... TOPIC: Vibration at highway speeds, what are the most likely culprits
I think this is related to the problem with the bellhousing bolts working themselves loose.

Same thing, I see, hwy/speeds ~70mph I get a lot of extra vibration.  I know the throwout is bad but i figured I could hold off on that till the winter comes.. but reading that bit about the '...tranny tailshaft housing bushings..'  I think I'll have a look

great stuff on here!!!
tx
'74 Rallye 4spd (WH23L4) (1 of 94)
'74 Rallye Auto (WH23L4) (quad black)
'69 Swinger 340 - 4spd
'70 Duster 340 - 4spd