News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My transmission gave up

Started by Belgium R/T -68, July 12, 2010, 01:18:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Belgium R/T -68

Like I explained in my projectthread my new transmission gave up after the incredibal distance of 14 miles (yes, fourteen). It's a brand new TCI Streetfighter that came with a dynosheet but evidently they didn't test it long enough. :brickwall: It sounds like a blowerengine, whining and hardly moves the car unless it's a little bit downhill. the reverse still works which should indicate it's not the converter or am I wrong? I called their techline but would have got the same answer from my mother so that was a waste of time. Now, is there anything I can check before I pull it down to make sure it's crap? I drained the oil and you can see the result to the right compared to fresh oil to the left, it's even smell burned.

Per
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

tricky lugnuts

That fluid sure does look burned up, especially for 14 miles.  :P

Don't the TCI "streetfighter" transmissions come with any kind of warranty? If not, that's crap, dying after 14 miles like that. They probably killed it with their dyno run.  :eek2:

Can't help you with the teardown. I'm sure others more knowledgable will chime in. If it won't move and makes funny noises, I'd suspect a tear down and rebuild is your next move to get going again, especially if TCI is giving you the "don't look at us" treatment.

John_Kunkel

If the car won't move forward in Drive but it will with the shifter in (1) the sprag has failed. If it won't move forward in any selector position the rear clutch has failed.

The Belleville spring in the rear clutch doesn't like high line pressure which is pretty common in performance-built transmissions and, to make it worse, many transmission builders remove the accumulator spring and/or block the accumulator...both are real hard on the Belleville.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Belgium R/T -68

Pulled the oilpan and looking at the metal in there I would say something very serious happened
here? Maybe the converter was the initial cause and since it was in drive most of the time it was there it burned?

Per

GPULLER

My trans did the same thing a few years ago.  Car would only move if the shifter was in low, and a slight whine could be heard, I drove it a while that way because I had to, finally it wouldn't move at all.  After I pulled the trans a part I found the sprag was completely in pieces and the low-reverse bad was toast.  Lucky the thing didn't explode and cut my feet off.   Ended up getting a different case because of the junk sprag, and a different drum.

I'm no expert like John, but your situation sure sounds familiar, the trans has to come out to really see what is wrong.   You would think that TCI would stand behind it, send them a link to this site showing your restoration maybe that could prove that the trans hasn't done anything but sit.   :shruggy:

John...this trans should have a bolt in sprag?  If I understand correctly a bolt in sprag keeps the outer race from spinning, but can the rollers and springs still fail?

John_Kunkel

The bolt-in sprag only prevents cam rotation in the case, element failure is much more common and the bolt-in does nothing to prevent that.

That's why I asked if the car would move in 1st but not Drive, it makes pinpointing the problem easier. The amount of aluminum debris in the pan could be from either failure mode I described but it looks more like a failed Belleville, a failed sprag won't discolor the fluid..

If the trans has Reverse the converter isn't the problem.

NMike

before you talk to TCI, make sure you explain to them that you set up the kickdown properly (unless a manual valve body) :coolgleamA:

Belgium R/T -68

The kickdownwire was installed, maybe some adjusting needed but nothing that would be the cause of this.
Even if the converter isn't the problem it must propably also be full of metal? Not that easy to flush a converter like the coolerlines and radiator. :eek2:

John_Kunkel

There's no reason to assume the converter is full of debris if a Dacron filter was installed, if there was a screen instead of a filter....different story.

Challenger340

Last time I called TCI, to ask them "why", their "Super Street Fighter" Torque Convertor, BRAND NEW, was slipping 14% from Engine rpm to actual mph, behind a 550hp Engine in a 3700lb B Body,
here is what I was told;

"You can't do THAT, it's Waaay too much power for THAT Convertor"

Totally confused, I then asked, "then What IS the right Convertor"?

Reply;
"Oh Sir, you need one of our 8 Inch Custom Convertors for THAT much power"

I then promptly hung up the Phone and called "Turbo Action",
ordered their 10" Convertor, swapped it in place of the TCI, NO OTHER CHANGES, and just as quickly picked up 60ft time at the Track, 1.5 tenths quicker E.T., AND about 4 mph, with LESS RPM through the Traps !

NO names have been changed to protect any Innocents, just a true story.

IMO
I do NOT like TCI stuff.

I LIKE Turbo Action Stuff !
Costs more, but WAAAY Cheaper in the Long Haul :2thumbs:

Good Luck with the TCI Transmission.

Only wimps wear Bowties !

Belgium R/T -68

Sixpack-speedshop over here has stepped in to help me. :2thumbs: Unfortunately the TCI is
for the garbage but they will go thru my old one to make sure it can hold up for the stroker.
I will send back the broken parts to TCI together with the dynosheet, not that it will help me but if they are just a little bit serious maybe they can learn something and prevent that somebody else have the same bad luck as me.

Per

grdprx

lisiecki1

HOLY CRAP!  It took the whole flange with it!
Remember the average response time to a 911 call is over 4 minutes.

The average response time of a 357 magnum is 1400 FPS.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52527.0.html

John_Kunkel

This is one of those rare cases where a bolt-in sprag would have helped, at least the case might have been saved.

RD

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,70107.0.html

similar case with this one that was brought to me for a rebuild... but alas, the case is now a recycling candidate :D
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

GPULLER

Cant' believe that TCI didn't put a bolt in sprag from the get go.  Thought that was standard upgrade on a performance trans build.

John_Kunkel

I have pulled a couple of TCI transmissions apart and the only remarkable thing about them was how unremarkable they are.

chargergirl

One test and tune and she's shot...8 passes and time trials and that's the grinch TCI...garbage! Pulling everything tomorrow and getting the Turbo Action. The Belvedere didn't even make the 8th pass...she couldn't get up the hill...it's FL...is a small rise in the track to get into position and go round the timing tower. Limped back to the trailer and went home...even in low gear acted like she was in 3rd. Like a Jag in "limp home" mode.
Trust your Woobie!

lisiecki1

I was going to buy a TCI before I decided to go ahead and build my own....looks like I made the right decision.

I'm sorry to hear of these troubles Per, if I can help you out in any way please let me know.

Randy
Remember the average response time to a 911 call is over 4 minutes.

The average response time of a 357 magnum is 1400 FPS.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52527.0.html

six-tee-nine

I am soaked in disbelieve.......or whatever you call it.

That thing is brandnew. I know Per's car it aint even finished.....never roasted a tire in its new career! If TCI does nothing to refund or step up for their clients, then they dont belong to be in buisiness at all. This is total ripoff.

Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

Belgium R/T -68

Evidently the linepressure was set at max because the biggest piston has caused deformation on the retainer hold by a "clipring". Did that influence, who knows? :shruggy:

Koen, the warranty is only 90 days. A correct company would make some kind of compensation considering the mileage (14) but I doubt they will. At least I will inform them.

Per

tan top

Quote from: Belgium R/T -68 on July 30, 2010, 08:01:10 AM
Sixpack-speedshop over here has stepped in to help me. :2thumbs: Unfortunately the TCI is
for the garbage but they will go thru my old one to make sure it can hold up for the stroker.
I will send back the broken parts to TCI together with the dynosheet, not that it will help me but if they are just a little bit serious maybe they can learn something and prevent that somebody else have the same bad luck as me.

Per
i was always lead to believe TCI transmissions were good  ,    :o :icon_smile_blackeye: damn , what caused it i wonder :scratchchin:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

chargergirl

The TCI's aren't strong enough to carry the engines they claim they can...and they don't point that out when they sell them to you. It's just that simple! So we feel the pain...got to do the same thing!
Trust your Woobie!

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Belgium R/T -68 on August 03, 2010, 03:25:03 PM
Evidently the linepressure was set at max because the biggest piston has caused deformation on the retainer hold by a "clipring". Did that influence, who knows? :shruggy:

That has nothing to do with the case failure. That type of failure is usually associated with massive amounts of power or abuse (or both). A failure of that type with low miles after rebuild makes me think the case had a pre-existing crack that was missed by the builder.