News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Found a 68 charger...whats it worth?

Started by Arkgl01, December 20, 2005, 03:47:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arkgl01

Found a local 68 charger 383 car auto with console, was gold with nice black interior and now is painted charcol grey. Doesnt matter I plan on painting it black. The guy said it has been sitting for about a year in a barn but has just had the tranny rebuilt and ran GREAT before he put it up in the barn. He said it has the original 383 and tranny(matching numbers). He was wanting around $14,000.00 for it but we could talk, he also has a 440 sitting there ready for it he would be willing to sell it too. It does have some RUST on the fenders just some small bubbles.

So my question is..is this a DEAL? What should be the value of this car, I am going later this week to look at it and plan on having a check. Thanks for any Help.

Mark
69 440 RT matching.. mostly original!

Rolling_Thunder

withoug seeing it i say it is about average to high average...   
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

ChargerHound69

Arkgl01

thats what was afraid of.. I have seen the car a couple of years ago but didnt know chargers like I do now. I know it needs a paint job and those small rust bubbles ficed but the interior is real nice. I ask him as much as I could, but he said he is 50/50 on selling it so I dont want to walk away unless I do for good. He might not want to sell it if I take pictures and go back. what is a ruff guess on a fair-nice 68 charger?

any help would be appreciated... Mark

Rolling_Thunder

well its not an R/T....    base model with decent interior...   i got my car for $9,000     but then again it was a 318 --- i dont know
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

ChargerHound69

I am asking 14,000 for this one.  It is a 383 all original with the console.  It has all brand new white interior.  It is original paint.

Does it look like this one, better or worse??

PocketThunder

Quote from: Arkgl01 on December 20, 2005, 03:47:45 PM
Found a local 68 charger 383 car auto with console, was gold with nice black interior and now is painted charcol grey. Doesnt matter I plan on painting it black. The guy said it has been sitting for about a year in a barn but has just had the tranny rebuilt and ran GREAT before he put it up in the barn. He said it has the original 383 and tranny(matching numbers). He was wanting around $14,000.00 for it but we could talk, he also has a 440 sitting there ready for it he would be willing to sell it too. It does have some RUST on the fenders just some small bubbles.

So my question is..is this a DEAL? What should be the value of this car, I am going later this week to look at it and plan on having a check. Thanks for any Help.

Mark

Around $14,000 is in the ball park.  Bring $12,500 cash or a bank check + some hundreds in your pocket just in case with you and make the deal.  If he's 50/50 on selling, this might be your only chance to buy it.  So just like at the swap meet its, cash and carry...
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

chargervert

$14000,is kind of high, Without seeing the car,I would say$7500-$10000,sounds about right for a 383 non R/T in need of a moderate restoration.Theres always more to repair than meets the eye,once you get them apart!

Blown70

I agree that it could be high.  The reason I say that is I worked at a body shop long AGO.   Those small bubbles can turn inot a big chunk of missing metal.  Seriously.  So, with out seeing pictures or more pics like frame railse, torsion bar, area of the frame.  I am with these guys.

Again what PT said is good advice,  CASH talks well to me a I see $100's I have a hard time saying NO.....(when It comes to cars and parts)

Tom

bull

It's about $4k-$5k too high if you're going to have to do rust repair, body work and paint. If the body is good, the rust is very minimal and the paint is in good shape I'd offer the guy about $11k and go from there.

triple_green

I second what bull said. Professional paint and bodywork is going to run you $8-10K. So also how is it mechanically. You might have another $3K there. Then there is all of the small things.

3X
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

Arkgl01

It looked about like the one in the pic, the paint had a few spots but the rust a saw was very small, I really thought I had found a good deal, guess not that good. Mark

Blown70

Quote from: Arkgl01 on December 20, 2005, 05:30:15 PM
It looked about like the one in the pic, the paint had a few spots but the rust a saw was very small, I really thought I had found a good deal, guess not that good. Mark

Well mark you have to decide,  if you feel that is what you want then I say go for it.  Keep in mind you may have to wait to get what you want, if you really want this car then get it. 

Lets say you add add 6,000 to what he wants.  You could possibly find a DONE car for that.  If you look..  just a thought.

Tom

greenpigs

Right, proceed with caution..don't buy it because your afraid someone else will. Look the body over REAL well before buying this ride as it could well have some bigger issues than a few rust bubbles.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

ChargerHound69

Mine only has a small patch of rust on the roof.  The other areas are clean.  Most rust bubbles are holes, big holes, and then the piece falls apart, and you are left with a big chunk out of the car.

I would have to agree with everyone else.  Look the car over real good, and take cash.  Offer up what you yourself are willing to spend on the car.

Good luck.