News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 Steering Column Conversion

Started by RestoMod22, July 11, 2010, 08:13:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RestoMod22

Could you please post some information about converting a column shifter to a floor shifter? We have the metal base that is secured to the floorboard, the floor shifters and the links. Any pics, links, tips and other information would greatly be appreciated.

The main area of concern is could the charger reuse the same column or replace the assembly or is there a way to modify the column shifter.

DC_1

It's a different column. You need to replace the entire thing. Although I am sure some of the internal shaft parts might be the same the external housing has the gear selector on it so you need to have a non-column shift one anyway. The rest is fairly simple. You need the linkage for the shifter to the transmission and the brackets that need to be welded to the floor. The location of this is important if you plan on installing the factory console as well. And of course you need to drill the hole through the transmission tunnel for the shifter linkage.

Chatt69chgr

You can take these columns apart and remove the piece that the column shifter comes through and replace it with the piece that doesn't have the hole in it.  I believe there are two lengths of steering columns.  One length is for a manual steering box and the other is for a power steering box.  Lots of mopars use these same columns so a trip to the junkyard might yield the piece you need.

doctor4766

Due to lack of parts for these cars here in Oz, I simply removed the shifter, and hacksawed the PRND21 section off.
Then I carefully filed the column smooth and used body filler to fill in the hole where the shifter was.
I did make sure that no bondo went into the column itself though.
Once painted it looks factory to most people.
The best part is, I didn't even have to removed the column from the car.
I know some of the purists out there will scorn this method, but hey, it wasn't an R/T. Just a plain ole 318 car.
Gotta love a '69

RD

lol... that right there is some ingenuity!  got any pics after she is painted?  i am curious to see how she turned out for ya.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

doctor4766

Actually no I don't at the moment but if there's enough interest I'll get some over the weekend and post up.
It's really a simple thing to do if you aren't anal about authenticity.....
Gotta love a '69

DC_1

I'm interested in checking out your handy work, post them up!

doctor4766

Ok, will try get some pics posted tomoz
Gotta love a '69

doctor4766

Ok, so the flash on my camera has picked up where the shifter used to enter the column, but it's difficult to see when you look in the car.
I'll probably look at sorting that soon but as you can see, it's only a small patch of filler.
And it looks like my dash needs a good clean too
Gotta love a '69

70daytonaclone

I have done the same. poverty is the mother f'er of invention!  By the way the white faced gauges look fantastic! :cheers: