News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What is the most I can savely overbore my 1969 440 block to (.060)?

Started by 1Bad70Charger, July 19, 2010, 11:27:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1Bad70Charger

Probably will end up rebuilding my 1969 440 engine this winter and what is the biggest overbore I can safely do I know .030 is the most common and is a no brainer.

As long as the block is sonic checked can I go out .060 as I want to get the most cubes out of this engine to build a 550HP 440, without having to stroke it.

What's the largest I can overbore the block and what cubic inch displacement  does this get me to with a stock 440 c crank?

Also, how does one get to a 470 c.i. engine that I commonly see with a 440 block?

I also see 451 ci 440 engines performing great and I would imagine that is with a .040 or .050 overbore to get to 451 cubes?

Thanks in advance!  :cheers:
48 year old Self Employed Trial Lawyer (I fight the ambulance chasers); 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner A12 Tribute Car, Built 505ci; Silver 2008 Hemi Dodge Challenger SRT8, Black 2006 Corvette Z06 427ci LS7-Keep God First, Family Second and Horsepower Third.  Interests:  God, Fast American Cars (old and new), Classic Muscle Cars, German Sheperds, Guns, Animals and the Great Outdoors (sick of Chicago).

firefighter3931

The sonic check will tell you how far you can take the block. A smaller .030 overbore is usually better for structural integrity and ring seal. The less flex you have in the cylinder walls the more power it will make.  :yesnod:

A .060 over 3.75 stroke 440 is 452 cubic inches

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Ghoste

The .060 overbore also pretty much makes it the last rebore for that block.

b5blue

John_Kunkel

Quote from: 1Bad70Charger on July 19, 2010, 11:27:00 PM
can I go out .060 as I want to get the most cubes out of this engine to build a 550HP 440, without having to stroke it.

The .060" overbore might possibly net you a loss of power compared to the .030" overbore due to the loss of ring seal Ron mentioned. Not worth it IMHO, stay with .030" or even .020" if possible.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

maxwellwedge

Some have hit water at .030 due to bad core shift so get it tested properly, bore only as much as you need to and use a new crank to get the cubes.  :2thumbs:

1Bad70Charger

Quote from: maxwellwedge on July 20, 2010, 07:22:11 PM
Some have hit water at .030 due to bad core shift so get it tested properly, bore only as much as you need to and use a new crank to get the cubes.  :2thumbs:

Looks like I won't be going over .030.  :2thumbs:
48 year old Self Employed Trial Lawyer (I fight the ambulance chasers); 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner A12 Tribute Car, Built 505ci; Silver 2008 Hemi Dodge Challenger SRT8, Black 2006 Corvette Z06 427ci LS7-Keep God First, Family Second and Horsepower Third.  Interests:  God, Fast American Cars (old and new), Classic Muscle Cars, German Sheperds, Guns, Animals and the Great Outdoors (sick of Chicago).

1Bad70Charger

six-tee-nine

Good thread.....

I bought a cheap bare 440 block that was rebuilt .30 over but the piston to wall clearance was set to smaal so the walls got scuffed. I was hoping to still use that block even if I have to get it bored up to .60 over for a mild 512 street stroker.
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

b5blue

Just check it for "core shift", I have had no issue's with .060 on my build. Be sure to have the exact spec. for your pistons bore requirements.  :yesnod:

maxwellwedge

As long as the core shift is good and the block checks out ok you can go 030+. I said earlier that some were so bad the people hit water at 030....so "call before you dig".

TylerCharger69

There is also the option of resleeving   If the cylinders clean up at .030  then thats fine...I wouldn't bore any more than necessary just to get more displacement.