News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How much paint can I expect to use?

Started by Patronus, July 08, 2010, 08:34:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patronus

I am wondering how much paint do you think it will take to paint a '69 Charger? Im using 2nd Dimension 2k black sealer (in a barrier application)
Thinking of going with Sherwin-Williams paint, base clear. (black) Two coats of each is what Im thinking? The hood will be satin...
I havent painted anything 17'-2" long before so I wanted to ask, one gallon of each?
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Drop Top

Your going with a black sealer. What color are you going to paint then car? Are you painting just the outside of the car or everything like trunk area, jams, engine bay and roof? If all your shooting is the outside of the car and its going a dark color then a gallon of both will just do the job. If however its a light color you will need to shoot a lighter color sealer before shooting the base. Then if you are painting all the other parts of the car your going to need more base and clear I always try to buy enough to have at least a qt left over for touch ups. Need more information. If the color covers well you wont need as much base. But I like to shoot at least 3 coats of base to inshure good even coverage. I also put on a 3 coats of clear, but that 3rd coat is a bit tuffer to aplie without runs if your a novice.

Patronus

The car is going to be black. Painting the outside including the roof. (no hood) All the jambs, trunk, and engine bay are already done.
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Drop Top

Shoot a black sealer first. Then a gallon of base and a gallon of clear will do the job.

BlueSS454

I used 3 quarts in a 1:1 mix using DuPont Chromabase on mine.  6 quarts total with that mix ratio and I used it all.  It was just enough to apply 4 color coats.
Since I painted my car orange, I thought using a gray sealer would have been ideal.  The first color coat looked almost brown.  A white sealer would have made it pop a little more.
I too used a whole gallon of clear on mine applying 3 clear coats.
Tom Rightler

elitecustombody

don't waste your money on watered down Dimension junk, you'll need twice of it while Ultra 7000 can do the job with 2 quarts or look into getting Matrix paint and clear,you'll like it

AMD-Auto Metal Direct  Distributor, email me for all your shetmetal needs

Stefan

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: Drop Top on July 09, 2010, 10:23:25 PM
Shoot a black sealer first. Then a gallon of base and a gallon of clear will do the job.

:iagree:

average
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Patronus

Quote from: elitecustombody on July 20, 2010, 12:37:13 PM
don't waste your money on watered down Dimension junk, you'll need twice of it while Ultra 7000 can do the job with 2 quarts or look into getting Matrix paint and clear,you'll like it

Thanks for the heads up!
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE