News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Help with touch up on 68 grill

Started by BombSquad, June 30, 2010, 09:29:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BombSquad

Hey guys, I have read the 9pg thread on the grill paint color for my car and can't figure out the proper color to touch up my grill. It seems there was no consensus reached there.

Mine was perfect and then I used one of the 550hp hydrovac trucks to wash the car and managed to strip paint off the "fins" of the headlight doors. Not only do I feel like an ass, but my touch up attempts have failed because my spray-bomb picks from the hardware store are too light.

Can anyone tell me a suitable spray-bomb color choice that will reasonably match a 100k mile grill? I'm not looking for concourse perfect, just daily driver close. I read SEM Titanium Metallic and the discontinued KILZ line from Walmart. I haven't found either of those around, are there any Rustoleum matches? How about Krylon "Dull Aluminum"?

68 Charger - 440 EFI/SS700 5 Speed
70 Duster - 225ci

bakerhillpins

Might it be easier to just remove the grille, spray it again hard to remove any other loose paint and then just use one of the colors you can get and just repaint it all rather than trying to touch-up match it?

One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

twodko

Here's an idea to consider. If the black portion of the grille is still in good shape, buy a silver Sharpie pen. Get the large one or one that has an angle tip. Take your time and carefully "write" over every rib. Several members here have done this with good resluts.

Good luck.

Tom
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

suburbanfireman

I scored a NOS headlight surround for my 68 (from France - wee wee).  I had the NOS silver scanned at my local paint shop (Premier Paint Technologies 440-975-8778) and put into a spray can.  I then refinished the entire grill - I think it turned out really nice.  If this helps - here is what they printed on my spray can label..............

MasterBlend EZ Touch
409292 K Chromabase BC   Alt: CF01
Car: Chrysler
Code: PS5    Year:1999
Color: Silverstone - Effect
Customer:Tim       PO/RO # 756A
Mix thoroughly soon after weighing
Metallic/Iridescent content > 5 grams/liter.
Tim "The Toolman" Taylor: "I think I might be addicted to cars."

Jill Taylor: "Well, DUH!"

Tim "The Toolman" Taylor: "I'm thinking about checking myself into the Henry Ford Clinic!"