News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

727 quick shift

Started by Kyles69, September 04, 2009, 02:42:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kyles69

Hey there all!  I've got a 69 Charger with a 440 and a 727 trans!  I'm new to the MOPAR lineup, but this car seems to shift way too soon under normal driving conditions!  It will be in third gear by the time I've crossed an intersection from a dead stop!  Under hard acceleration is not quite as bad!  Someone told me a shift kit would help this but I'm not sure!  Is there an adjustment for this on the tranny or carb (carb is an aftermarket Edlebrock), if so can you please give me the details on the adjustment(s)!  Thank you in advance!

John_Kunkel

The factory spec for light throttle upshifts has the trans in 3rd gear before 20 mph. If that doesn't suit you, the linkage that runs from the carb to the transmission can be adjusted for earlier or later upshifts.

This throttle pressure linkage (often misnamed "kickdown linkage") won't work properly on your Edelbrock carb without the correct Mopar throttle lever extension (Edelbrock #1481). Once all the correct parts are in place the upper rod of the linkage can be lengthened for later shifts or shortened for earlier shifts to suit your personal preference.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

greenpigs

So..if you don't use the kick down is the 1481 necessary? I have a MV body in my 727.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

John_Kunkel

The 1481 also positions the throttle cable properly but it's not as critical as the linkage position.

mikes4692003

which way would you move the linkage for later shift points

John_Kunkel

The A&A PTK kit is a copy of the early Mopar, this setup doesn't have a limit valve like the '71 and later does so it can PTK at speeds higher than 40 mph which is a PITA with taller gears. My '57 NY with 2.94 gears will PTK at over 60 mph. 

John_Kunkel

Quote from: mikes4692003 on June 30, 2010, 06:27:13 AM
which way would you move the linkage for later shift points

The answer is in the last sentence of my first reply.

john108

John - Please excuse my ignorance, but what is a PTK

y3chargerrt

Part Throttle Kickdown..Don't get mad at me if I stepped on your toes John!

John_Kunkel

I'm not mad, just directing you to the answer that was already there.

twinscrew698

John!
What kind or brand of shit kit would you recommend for a 1973,400  727 trans not hd or hp?
Would like  a little better shift for this!

John_Kunkel

Quote from: twinscrew698 on July 02, 2010, 08:00:15 AM
John!
What kind or brand of  :hah: shit kit would you recommend

If you want a "shit" kit I can't help. (Sorry, couldn't pass it up)  :lol:

For a shift kit the TransGo TF-2 is the best bang for the buck.

twinscrew698

Thanks For the correction and the reply John!!
Got to check that spelling!!