News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dodge Ram owners - looking for opinions.

Started by 1970Moparmann, July 11, 2010, 10:45:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1970Moparmann

All,

I'm in the market for a 2007 or 2008 Ram and wanted to get some opinions.  I really want the 5.7 hemi, but is the 4.7 okay?  Last I had a 4.7 was in 2000 when they just came out.  Also, how has the dependability factor been for you?? 

As always, thanks a ton for the feedback! :popcrn:
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

69 OUR/TEA

I have a 2004 hemi ram QC 4x4,would'nt even consider a 4.7!!!Did a few things to jump up the power and gas mileage,programmer,kn drop in,and use royal purple synthetic oil,I average 19 MPG highway empty driving like a human.Power is great and tows really good,even my 24' enclosed.Very happy with it,no problems yet other than my pass seat track broke.

WINGMAN

Go with the hemi  they are vary good engines, the 4.7 have some bad faults. From a Dodge Dealership tech. :Twocents:  Jay at Briggs Dodge in Topeks Ks.
69 Daytona XX29L9B409032 , 02 Ram Cummins,

Silver R/T

01.5 CTD owner here. Love the truck, power is good and I get good gas mileage. There are tons of upgrades for it also to bump up power/gas mileage and these 24V Cummins engines last forever if you take care of them.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

JeffYoung

Have an 07 2500 Ram Quad Cummins, 6 speed, 4X4.

If you can afford the Cummins, especially if you can find a 5.9 in a 2007, get it. Probably still a $5 to $7k premiun over the Hemi.

My truck has 55k on it. ONly failure was the Sirius satellite radio.  Everything else on the truck no problems.

The Hemi is a good motor. The 4.7 has sludge issues and I would avoid.

Chatt69chgr

I have a 2005 Quad Cab 4X4 with hemi.  Bought new.  I really like it.  Plenty of power.  Will get 19 or so on Hwy if you put in cruise and keep your foot off the gas pedal.  I have the 20 inch tires and the truck sits high so I have good road visibility.  I don't think the difference in gas milage with the 4.7 is all that much and for a truck that size, it's kind of underpowered.  No problem with the hemi.  So when you put your flat trailer behind it with your classic car, it will pull OK.  Cummins turbo diesel is the ticket if you are pulling big trailers.  Last forever.  But kind of noisy. 

Old Moparz

Quote from: 1970Moparmann on July 11, 2010, 10:45:55 PM
All,

I'm in the market for a 2007 or 2008 Ram and wanted to get some opinions.  I really want the 5.7 hemi, but is the 4.7 okay?  Last I had a 4.7 was in 2000 when they just came out.  Also, how has the dependability factor been for you??  

As always, thanks a ton for the feedback! :popcrn:

I have a 5.7 Hemi in my 2004 1500 QC Ram 4x4 & think it runs & tows decently with 41,000 miles so far. Two of my neighbors have Rams also, a 2003 & a 2010, & as far as I know they never had any trouble with the engines. The one with the 2010 had a 2006 before his lease was up.

I've got a minor, power steering fluid leak directly from the steering rack which bugs me since it's not under warranty anymore & will cost me close to $1000 or so to replace it. There's also an issue with stalling if I top off the gas tank that has been there since the truck had 11,000 miles. Apparently it has something to do with the emission system. The charcoal canister that's supposed to collect gasoline vapors sucks too much & floods the engine. (So I was told) The problem doesn't exist if I put a little less gas in when I fill up, like 32 gallons instead of 33 or 34.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

1970Moparmann

Thanks for the information guys! 

I can't believe what I read on a forum - late 2008 there was a 50% discount to get rid of 2008 trucks... WTF!  Man I wish I took part of that!  I'm looking at 2008's that are going for around what they were new with that program.  Search is going now....
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

Old Moparz

Quote from: 1970Moparmann on July 13, 2010, 04:02:48 PM
Thanks for the information guys!  

I can't believe what I read on a forum - late 2008 there was a 50% discount to get rid of 2008 trucks... WTF!  Man I wish I took part of that!  I'm looking at 2008's that are going for around what they were new with that program.  Search is going now....

The '04 truck I bought was a leftover in July of '05 when I found it. I was actually planning on a used truck at the time & hoping for one with less than 30,000 miles. I spotted an ad for a truck at $24,000 (forget if it was a GMC or a Ford) when another ad the next morning was for mine. It was $23,000 marked down from $36,000 & I thought it was 2 wheel drive or a BS ad to lure me into the dealership. It was legit & a no brainer, so I got a new 4x4 truck for less than a used one. Watch for leftovers & don't rush your purchase.  
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry