News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What do you think? Are R/T stripes cheesy on a non-R/T?

Started by bull, December 18, 2005, 03:45:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

Quote from: greenpigs on December 18, 2005, 12:40:40 PM
QuoteYou're right. A lot of Chargers are painted black, and I really don't mind the green but I just really, really like black

Then paint it black, sing it with me big guy:

I see a red door and I want to paint it black

No colors anymore I want it to turn black

:punkrocka:

How many beers have you had so far today? :icon_smile:

jaak

I am a big believer in its your car, build it your way!!! I'm doiing sorta the opposite, I have a 69 rt i have been working on...... with that being said, its not a numbers matching car, so I'm building it my way, the color I want, the interior I want, and so on. I re-built a 68 440 that came with the car. I also like personal touches, I bought a 68 gas cap just cause i think its a better looking design (I like the sleeker look ) And yes I will admit sometimes money plays a factor as well I'm 29 wife, 2 kids, bought a house this year, etc. So I hunt for bargains, like my seat covers, I cannot drop the coin legendary wants for there covers, so I bought a nice set on eBay that a guy in New york makes (he has an interior business) They have a generic pattern, so they will work in RR, Chargers and Coronets. I just want my car done by my 30th B-day I figure it will always be a work in progress, so anything that isn't perfect (ie, Trim with minor pits, wrong seat covers, maybe a part used from another year model, etc, etc. will probably get fixed overtime. I just want a very nice driver/ local show car, back on the road. Will I get talked about by the oooohhhh it isn't all Correct guys... yeah. But who cares? This is Jason's Car,  not anyone elses. To make a long story short... Put you damn stripes on, lol. :icon_smile_big:

Lowprofile

Quote from: Lowprofile on December 18, 2005, 10:30:33 AM
I'm crushed that your not going with the Panther Pink. :icon_smile_kisses: :icon_smile_kisses: :icon_smile_kisses:

You'll think crushed when I put you in a headlock. :icon_smile_evil:

:icon_smile_blackeye:  Don't hurt me, big boy!  lol :icon_smile_kisses:   :D :D :D
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

PocketThunder

My 318 car is getting the stripe and R/T badges.... and a 440 :icon_smile_big:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Old Moparz

Hey Bull,

You have to keep it the way it was when new. Didn't you read the restoration guide published by "The American Anal Retentive Automotive Publishers Group" that's out? Factory colors must be retained, even if ugly, you can't add stripes & badges, no engine swaps unless they're the same size, & absolutely no aftermarket replacement items, only NOS. But I say add or change what you want & have fun with it. That's what I've done for 25 years & will still do it, but the only difference is that if I were to add a stripe I wouldn't put any R/T designations on the car.

Bob
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

jaak

Quote from: Old Moparz on December 18, 2005, 02:34:02 PM
Hey Bull,

You have to keep it the way it was when new. Didn't you read the restoration guide published by "The American Anal Retentive Automotive Publishers Group" that's out? Factory colors must be retained, even if ugly, you can't add stripes & badges, no engine swaps unless they're the same size, & absolutely no aftermarket replacement items, only NOS. But I say add or change what you want & have fun with it. That's what I've done for 25 years & will still do it, but the only difference is that if I were to add a stripe I wouldn't put any R/T designations on the car.

Bob

American Anal Retentive Automobile Publishers Group........  That's Hilarious  :smilielol:

bull

Quote from: Old Moparz on December 18, 2005, 02:34:02 PM
Hey Bull,

You have to keep it the way it was when new. Didn't you read the restoration guide published by "The American Anal Retentive Automotive Publishers Group" that's out? Factory colors must be retained, even if ugly, you can't add stripes & badges, no engine swaps unless they're the same size, & absolutely no aftermarket replacement items, only NOS.

Lol. :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: I've seen that group of people walking around cars shows with their cameras and clipboards, looking like they forgot to put sugar in their lemonade. Actually, I'm very happy with the way Chrysler made the '68 Charger but I do plan on personalizing a couple items. The interior will be bone stock and pretty much everything else will look stock too.

But I say add or change what you want & have fun with it. That's what I've done for 25 years & will still do it, but the only difference is that if I were to add a stripe I wouldn't put any R/T designations on the car.

Bob

Exactly what I was thinking. Borrow the stripe from R/T-land but nothing else.

Ghoste

I kind of like the stripe better without the RT callouts anyway.

Silver R/T

Quote from: bull on December 18, 2005, 08:18:53 AM
I'm kind of thinking flat black bumble bee R/T stripes would look pretty good against gloss black paint. :drool5:

yes that would look nice
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

chargervert

When they came out with the stripes on the new 68 models,in late 67,car and driver said "those cars are so fast,that they almost got by the striper"!!!!! If you want the stripe on your car,then by all means put that stripe on!!!!!! All chargers look bad ass with the stripe!!!!!

DannyG

Quote from: bull on December 18, 2005, 08:18:53 AM
I'm kind of thinking flat black bumble bee R/T stripes would look pretty good against gloss black paint. :drool5:

Bull,

I couldn't agree more.  It never ceases to amaze me how great some cars look in colours that I would never even think of.  But for my money, satin or flat black over gloss would look nothing less than Sh*t-hot.  As for putting the strip on; I think its important to remember that the stripes and badges are more of an issue when it comes to selling a car.  In my view, you're not passing it off as an R/T simply by decking it out in some sharp looking war-paint.  My two cents worth is - go for it.  Just please post some pics so I can keep my dream alive.

Cheers,

DannyG

RECHRGD

My 318 car has the stripes, badges and a 440.  If people at car shows don't like it that's their right.  I cloned this car to look indentical to my new R/T bought in '68.  With the modern improvements I've put in her, she goes faster, stops better, and gets a ton more thumps up than my old one.  There's no down side, it's all good.  Bob  :icon_smile: :icon_smile:
13.53 @ 105.32

Mike DC

Anything short of altering the VINs is fine with me.

Conpared to the parking lots full of General Lees and cars with G-machine wheels these days, any kind of factory-type performance thing is starting to seem downright classy & reserved.

Hooked On Mopars

Here is a pic of a car I traded for yesterday.  Factory 383 car painted 2001 Ford Electric Green w/Painted White Stripe.  I thought that 68 Sport Package Chargers also came with the stripe??  I know a guy that is the original owner of an unmolested 68 Sport Charger w/Stripe.

FastbackJon

As a '68 Charger R/T owner I think that the car shouldn't get the stripes unless it has R/T badges, and it shouldn't have R/T badges unless it is a real R/T or a nicely done clone (with a 440 or Hemi).
"This was the dedication of the altar, in the day when it was anointed, by the princes of Israel: twelve chargers of silver, twelve silver bowls, twelve spoons of gold..." -- Numbers 7:84 KJV

greenpigs

Right, he might be the original owner, but he could have had the dealer put the stripe on for him.

Nice ride and you got the pigs stamp of appreciation for the proper color.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

41husk

I put R/T stripes on my 68, it's not a clone, I just like the looks of the Stripe. JMO
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Chris G.

Quote from: Hooked On Mopars on December 19, 2005, 12:14:01 AM
Here is a pic of a car I traded for yesterday.   Factory 383 car painted 2001 Ford Electric Green w/Painted White Stripe.   I thought that 68 Sport Package Chargers also came with the stripe??   I know a guy that is the original owner of an unmolested 68 Sport Charger w/Stripe.

What exactly is a "Sport Package"? That's a new one for me. :scratchchin:

4402tuff4u

Mine is a "stripe delete" car, number matching R/T but I'm going with white stripes on the original Bronze skin. Since the 68's did not have an emblem, the stripe delete's Chargers look kind of plain. I like to keep the Charger as stock as possible, however some things have to be upgraded such as the guts in the 440 HP and most likely the wheel treatment. The only thing cosmetically I'm changing/adding is the stripe and rims.
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

bull

Quote from: Burnt70R/T on December 19, 2005, 08:15:08 AM
Here is a pic of a car I traded for yesterday.   Factory 383 car painted 2001 Ford Electric Green w/Painted White Stripe.   I thought that 68 Sport Package Chargers also came with the stripe??   I know a guy that is the original owner of an unmolested 68 Sport Charger w/Stripe.

Me too. Never heard of it.

HeavyFuel

Quote from: bull on December 19, 2005, 11:10:30 AM
Quote from: Burnt70R/T on December 19, 2005, 08:15:08 AM

Me too. Never heard of it.

He prabably got that from the same guy with the bright idea to paint his car Ford green.....that's just wrong....

THE CHARGER PUNK

what about the 1968 bengal charger majority of them were base /6,318 and 383 cars and all of em came with r/t stripes-MATT

greenpigs

That was a special order AND the dealer can install a RT stripe no problem, painting 50 cars is a another matter.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

Afflyer

Retired USAF C-130H3, C-130E, MC-130E, MC-130W Flight Engineer

1969 Charger 440/4bbl "Hemi Orange Mistress"
2009 Hemi Ram 1500 Sport Special Crew Cab "Black Betty"
2011 BMW X5 3.5i "Heidi"

ck1

Quote from: Troy on December 18, 2005, 11:14:05 AM
Quote from: RT DAVE on December 18, 2005, 09:46:02 AM
I didn't realize the bumblebee stripe was exclusive to the RT model in 1968. Is it?
Yes. Actually, it is on all three years of the second gen (69 Daytonas and 500s are the same base as R/Ts).

It's your car so if you want a stripe then go for it. If you want to put badges on it then go for it. If anyone wants to stick up their nose when they see the VIN then I hope they trip while walking away. My opinion of course. Stripes can always be removed so it's not like you're destroying the value or anything.

I suppose that I should also say that I love it when someone drops a beefed up big block into a 318 car and doesn't add any of the badging/stripes. Keeps everyone guessing. Not that I know anyone who would do such a thing... :D

Troy

Hey Troy I know were talking about Chargers but didn't a 68 superbee, which was not a R/T get a Bumble Bee stripe?  just wondering?
and Bull do what you want, I was pondering doing it myself but it seems to be different now days to just leave it stock looking and if you do, no one will know wether or not it belongs except those nut jobs pureest who have nothing else better to do but point out whats wrong with your car at car shows and such.............just put a big sign in your car window at shows whats not original or make it like a game and have people guess whats wrong with your car, that will show them you already know and you don't care, just my two cents...........
CJK