News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What do you think? Are R/T stripes cheesy on a non-R/T?

Started by bull, December 18, 2005, 03:45:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HeavyFuel

I agree that the stripe adds to the car's looks.......but it is called an R/T stripe for a reason.  :scratchchin:

My R/T is a stripe delete car........how's that for throwing a wrench into it?

I'm gonna leave it off mine for a while......trying to resto back to stock  (except for the color).

Ghoste

I wonder if the Camaro crowd have any such qualms about adding stripes to cars that didn't come that way?

resq302

I wouldn't say that it is an R/T stripe as in 70, you could get the pin stripes down the side of the car intead of the "bumble bee" stripe.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

JB400

Quote from: Ghoste on September 11, 2012, 07:24:33 PM
I wonder if the Camaro crowd have any such qualms about adding stripes to cars that didn't come that way?
I think they all do it just for the heck of it. Unless it's a COPO

myk

Quote from: Ghoste on September 11, 2012, 07:24:33 PM

Only with the "classic" Camaro crowds.  The newer 4.1 Generation guys like myself couldn't care less...

1974dodgecharger

I was thinking you should add some stickers to the car you know name brand stuff that you use so its free advertisement for them  :2thumbs:

tan top

Quote from: bull on September 11, 2012, 07:08:27 AM
Quote from: tan top on September 11, 2012, 03:29:55 AM
:scratchchin:  think i would leave the stripe off !!  if it were me , cause its not on the fender tag   :yesnod: but , look awesome with the twin bumblebee  :drool5:  i sort of prefer the 68 stripe over a 69  :scratchchin: :shruggy: :-\

Well, that fender tag has become more of a suggestion than a set of rules. One of the most glaring defiances I've committed is turning TT1 into BB1.

:o   oh right ,  i've either forgot about the color change , or totally missed that bit in your thread , D'oH :slap:

well i that case think i would stripe it  :yesnod: what color stripe ?  or have i miss that bit too  :icon_smile_blackeye:

***** EDIT **** i missd that bit  ,  flat black  :yesnod:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

JB400

I agree. Flat black would look pretty good.  Very good on a gloss black car.  Paint the hood indents as well.  Carbon fiber would look good as well if you want a little bit more of a modern look.

tpetty

I love the stripe as well.  On a black car, I think a red stripe with redline tires is killer.

bookedbydano

I've had my charger done for quite some time.  I have taking it to quite a few car shows and I will tell you 98 percent of the people looking at the cars could give a rats ass what the vin tag said....Its honestly how the car looks and its style that attracts the people.  I have a XP 69 383 charger.  It is a high optioned car cruise control, air, passenger side mirror, rear defrost, front dash speakers, power windows, etc.......do most people care??? NOPE!!! I had added the r/t stripe, badges and leather seats because I think they look nice.... they like the looks, the color, the stance, the whole style of the car not whether it has a XS or not...I recently was at a show that had a numbers matching Hemi 69 charger all done to code, very nice car.  I was parked right next to it. You would think that the Hemi would get the most attention...not that day, I even beat him in peoples choice for mopar...why???? Well I asked some of the show-gowers and they said they didn't like the steel wheelies, tires to small, didn't look very appealing, car didn't have that wow factor, so not everyone is in to Vins and what things are worth matching or not. Build it the way you want because you will never please everyone so please yourself...because the minority "Mopar Purist" might be some of the rudest people I come across....they will nit pick your car to death and not in a nice way!!!!  This isn't correct here, that shouldn't be there....on and on.  The funny thing is most of them are either jealous you have a charger and they wish they did, or your non matching car actually looks better than their nut and bolt resto and they aren't getting all the attention and that is the honest truth!!! So don't ever think that something you like to put on your car may be cheesy because some PURIST says it wasn't born with it and shouldn't be there.

Fred

Quote from: bookedbydano on September 12, 2012, 11:44:02 PM
I've had my charger done for quite some time.  I have taking it to quite a few car shows and I will tell you 98 percent of the people looking at the cars could give a rats ass what the vin tag said....Its honestly how the car looks and its style that attracts the people.  I have a XP 69 383 charger.  It is a high optioned car cruise control, air, passenger side mirror, rear defrost, front dash speakers, power windows, etc.......do most people care??? NOPE!!! I had added the r/t stripe, badges and leather seats because I think they look nice.... they like the looks, the color, the stance, the whole style of the car not whether it has a XS or not...I recently was at a show that had a numbers matching Hemi 69 charger all done to code, very nice car.  I was parked right next to it. You would think that the Hemi would get the most attention...not that day, I even beat him in peoples choice for mopar...why???? Well I asked some of the show-gowers and they said they didn't like the steel wheelies, tires to small, didn't look very appealing, car didn't have that wow factor, so not everyone is in to Vins and what things are worth matching or not. Build it the way you want because you will never please everyone so please yourself...because the minority "Mopar Purist" might be some of the rudest people I come across....they will nit pick your car to death and not in a nice way!!!!  This isn't correct here, that shouldn't be there....on and on.  The funny thing is most of them are either jealous you have a charger and they wish they did, or your non matching car actually looks better than their nut and bolt resto and they aren't getting all the attention and that is the honest truth!!! So don't ever think that something you like to put on your car may be cheesy because some PURIST says it wasn't born with it and shouldn't be there.

This is so true. :2thumbs:

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

TUFCAT

Quote from: tpetty on September 12, 2012, 08:18:43 PM
I love the stripe as well.  On a black car, I think a red stripe with redline tires is killer.

:iagree:

cdr

Quote from: Fred on September 13, 2012, 12:50:48 AM

This is so true. :2thumbs:

very well said
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

1BAD68

Yup, the all restored, numbers matching with inspection marks, decals, tags, sheets, etc. kind of makes me yawn when I see them lately at shows.
What stands out to me are the cars that look like you could twist the key and do some donuts in the gravel without having a coronary.

Dino

Quote from: 1BAD68 on September 13, 2012, 07:51:20 AM
Yup, the all restored, numbers matching with inspection marks, decals, tags, sheets, etc. kind of makes me yawn when I see them lately at shows.
What stands out to me are the cars that look like you could twist the key and do some donuts in the gravel without having a coronary.

:iagree:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

rebby

:notworthy:
Curt Rebelein, Junior
1969 Charger R/T SE (500 Stroker/833/D60 w/XP VIN)
1969 Charger (440/727/8.75, GL Project)

resq302

Quote from: 1BAD68 on September 13, 2012, 07:51:20 AM

And what about us that have cars like that yet drive the hell out of them?  I got all kinds of stone chips and such on my rocker panels last year from the covered bridge tour with the NCPC.  I just chalk it up to battle scars and touch them up.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

1BAD68

Those cars are still AWESOME, it's just that they have been the focus for quite some time now.
Many years ago if I saw a HEMI 'Cuda, I would stop dead in my tracks in awe. After the whole Barret/jackson thing, it was just another hemi cuda *yawn*
Just a fad is all it is, right now I really like the rat rod's and the cars that look like they've been driven hard.

JB400

I think the industry is shifting more to period correct mods.  I think people do get tired of seeing 100 point restorations.  They might be alright for Pebble Beach and other high end shows, but people want to see chrome valve covers and air cleaners, mags or torq thrusts for wheels, and a somewhat stock interior.  Maybe throw on a set of custom stripes.  Pro touring cars are quite popular, but it's just a fad.  I will say that more and more people are putting on 17" and larger wheels on their rides, but the rest of the car has more period correct mods.  Rat rods are cool though.  It gives new life to cars that would other wise be forgotten or sent to the crusher.

bill440rt

Build it the way you want because you will never please everyone so please yourself...

But, if that other person finds performing a completely stock resto very rewarding, then they shouldn't be frowned upon either. That is what makes them happy. Right?  :cheers:
I can appreciate either one really, bone stock or modified. I think it all boils down to the car which route the owner decides to take, and personal tastes, etc.

FWIW, I know some "purists" that are the nicest, most down to earth guys you'd ever want to meet.  :yesnod:   :2thumbs:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

TUFCAT

Here's a quote from Jay Leno:

"I restore my cars to 100 point show cars and enjoy driving them down to 70 percent so I can start all over again" :cheers:

[reality check].....there's no problem with that, as long as you have his millions. :2thumbs:

Fred

Yes, wouldn't that be nice. $$$$$$$$$$ You could die happy!  :lol:

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

JB400

I'd like to have the guy's garage. He gets some of lowest production numbered cool cars out there.  The oddball stuff he gets is cool as well.  His net shows ain't bad either. :2thumbs:

41husk

I put the R/T stripe on my 68.  I loved the look of it, and it was my car!  I did not put any R/T badging on it nor did I ever say or suggest it was an R/T or even an R/T clone.  I just liked the look with the stripe and felt it looked like something was missing with out it :Twocents:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

HeavyFuel

Yeah...everyone has their preferences......stock or modified......Rachel or Pam.   :scratchchin:

I prefer Rachel, myself.
:cheers: