News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What do you think? Are R/T stripes cheesy on a non-R/T?

Started by bull, December 18, 2005, 03:45:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Troy

Quote from: ck1 on December 19, 2005, 04:32:42 PM
Quote from: Troy on December 18, 2005, 11:14:05 AM
Quote from: RT DAVE on December 18, 2005, 09:46:02 AM
I didn't realize the bumblebee stripe was exclusive to the RT model in 1968. Is it?
Yes. Actually, it is on all three years of the second gen (69 Daytonas and 500s are the same base as R/Ts).

It's your car so if you want a stripe then go for it. If you want to put badges on it then go for it. If anyone wants to stick up their nose when they see the VIN then I hope they trip while walking away. My opinion of course. Stripes can always be removed so it's not like you're destroying the value or anything.

I suppose that I should also say that I love it when someone drops a beefed up big block into a 318 car and doesn't add any of the badging/stripes. Keeps everyone guessing. Not that I know anyone who would do such a thing... :D

Troy

Hey Troy I know were talking about Chargers but didn't a 68 superbee, which was not a R/T get a Bumble Bee stripe?  just wondering?
and Bull do what you want, I was pondering doing it myself but it seems to be different now days to just leave it stock looking and if you do, no one will know wether or not it belongs except those nut jobs pureest who have nothing else better to do but point out whats wrong with your car at car shows and such.............just put a big sign in your car window at shows whats not original or make it like a game and have people guess whats wrong with your car, that will show them you already know and you don't care, just my two cents...........
Correct, a Superbee in 68-70 had stripes (standard I believe) even though the base engine was a 383 as part of the package.The regular Coronets didn't get them - same as a Charger. The Superbee also could have side scoops in 69 and 70 just like the Coronet R/Ts but I don't think they were available at all on base models. A base model 70 Charger couldn't have the door scoops either. Superbees and Roadrunners were supposed to be stripped down street racers so they came with the flashy looks but not all the options.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Chris G.

Quote from: Troy on December 19, 2005, 07:58:22 PM
A base model 70 Charger couldn't have the door scoops either.

Troy

Troy, in '70 there were 3 different models to chose from. The base Charger (XH) and the Charger 500 (XP) could not get the stripe. Only the R/T version could get it.

I don't believe a '70 Super Bee could get the scoop that the R/T had. The Coronet R/T also had a plain stripe much like the Charger R/T had in '70. The Bee stripe may have been the same from '68-'70? The stripe delete on a Bee was always cool looking btw. :thumbs:

EDIT: Maybe 69F8Chargerpunk will fill us in on what's correct and what's not. :laugh:

Telvis

Troy

Quote from: Burnt70R/T on December 19, 2005, 08:15:01 PM
Quote from: Troy on December 19, 2005, 07:58:22 PM
A base model 70 Charger couldn't have the door scoops either.

Troy

Troy, in '70 there were 3 different models to chose from. The base Charger (XH) and the Charger 500 (XP) could not get the stripe. Only the R/T version could get it.

I don't believe a '70 Super Bee could get the scoop that the R/T had. The Coronet R/T also had a plain stripe much like the Charger R/T had in '70. The Bee stripe may have been the same from '68-'70? The stripe delete on a Bee was always cool looking btw. :thumbs:

EDIT: Maybe 69F8Chargerpunk will fill us in on what's correct and what's not. :laugh:
Ok, base or 500 Charger... it's not like I know anything about cars made in 1970 any way. :D

On the Superbee, I consulted one of my favorite sites at Andy440.com. The 68 had double stripes (like the Charger but with the Bee logo), 69 had a solid stripe (like the Charger but with the Bee logo), and 70 had what looks like the 69 stripe OR the 'C' stripe (or whatever it's called). There are a few pics of cars with just the logo (is that the stripe delete?). The 70 Bee came with the Ramcharger hood and the one with the double scoops. Looking through the pictures and descriptions I didn't see any hood scoops that were specific to the Coronet R/T but I may have missed something.

Pic of 70 Superbees borrowed from Andy440.com:

Troy

ChargerAndy

Im happy with what I did..... If anyone doesnt like it, go scratch!  :icon_smile_big: Bull, do what you want!

Ghoste

The 70 Coronet RT did come with a side scoop that was unique to the RT.  It was similar to the 69 side scoop but instead of being dual, it was a single scoop to coincide with the scallop in the rear panel.

Chris G.

Quote from: Troy on December 19, 2005, 10:59:00 PM
The 70 Bee came with the Ramcharger hood and the one with the double scoops. Looking through the pictures and descriptions I didn't see any hood scoops that were specific to the Coronet R/T but I may have missed something.

Troy, we have our scoops crossed. I was talking about the side scoops, while I think you were talking about the hood scoops. ;) Carry on...

Troy

Quote from: Burnt70R/T on December 20, 2005, 06:51:16 AM
Quote from: Troy on December 19, 2005, 10:59:00 PM
The 70 Bee came with the Ramcharger hood and the one with the double scoops. Looking through the pictures and descriptions I didn't see any hood scoops that were specific to the Coronet R/T but I may have missed something.

Troy, we have our scoops crossed. I was talking about the side scoops, while I think you were talking about the hood scoops. ;) Carry on...
Whoops! Yeah, I was looking at those too but forgot to mention them. I was actually talking about side scoops earlier too. Guess I lost my train of thought after looking at all those pictures... :D

Troy

71charger_fan

Worrying about what everyone else thinks will get you something other than the car you really want. I put copies of second generation bumble bee stripes on my 71 SE and I'm thrilled with the way they turned out. If I worried about what everyone else was going to think I'd probably still have a baby$hit brown car with a white vinyl top. No thanks. I'll take the purple and the white bumble bee. Do what you want. The sheet metal is the same; if it doesn't look cheesy on a real R/T it won't look cheesy on yours.

Rolling_Thunder

I had them on my 318 car when i got it....     i liked them.....    I'm planning on putting a black stripe on my car when i get the chance
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

AKcharger

I put a "500" stripe on my '70 500..it's kinda original. I'd try longitudinal stripes with your '68 I think that would look nice

Quote from: 6pkrunner on December 18, 2005, 11:01:24 AM
...Those wanting the more Q-ship appearance went for the stripe delete.

Q-Ship! I thought I was the only one who knew about Q-ships! (decoy merchant ships used to lure German u-boats to the surface)

69rtse4spd

Plan on putting them on my 70 XH Charger when done. I like them & they break up the paint also, everybody is differant. 

Marck

Awesome thread ressurection..  :2thumbs:
7 years it was dead, but not anymore..  ;)
For what it's worth, I'm probably going to put a stripe on mine when it comes time to paint it, and mine was born as a 318 car..

resq302

FWIW, my car had the white R/T stripe on it when I got it and the red paint was about 10 years old at the time.  No way was I about to pull the stripe off only to have a slightly different shade of red under it since that area was not faded or oxidized.  So I decided to leave it on since it matched the top and interior!
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Gary42

Quote from: greenpigs on December 18, 2005, 03:51:51 AM
No, its your car and you can do whatever you want to it. I think the stripe looks nice, but when I redo mine the stripe is getting left off and I am going to put the emblems on instead.

:iagree:
1972 Dodge Charger, Rally edition
2010 Dodge Challenger, Rally package
"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astonish the rest."

- Mark Twain

hawkeye

the 68 through 70 are such good looking cars, it's pretty hard to screw them up.  i would just follow the rules clint eastwood laid out in his will in the movie grand torino.

bill440rt

I have one on my '68 R/T clone. R/T emblems and all.  :cheers:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

will

my car will soon have the stripes and emblems with a 383 under the hood. I don't care what people think, it's my car. Something bigger will reside under the hood someday, as soon as the funds are available. I built it from the ground up. SSBC on all 4 corners, 3.91 out back. Might even throw a 5 speed in down the road. They are never done, works of art take time. I'll enjoy it next year after I put it togeher. Do what you like. I watched a guy looking closely at trim on a 57 belair 4 door in the chinese food joint tonight. If it's not your car, what gives you the rite to nitpick a guys car. I left before i said something, it wasn't my car and I had my kids with me. Plus his lardass wife was blowing smoke into the car.

nvrbdn

well, since this thread is really moving well again, i will throw this out. i really like the 68 stripe. like it so much i put it on my 70. its not that i dont like the 70 stripe,and i dont have an R/T, but i just love the way the color comes through the stripes. :yesnod:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

TUFCAT

Yes I probably would, especially considering the 1968 stripe has no R/T call out....and it looks cool. :icon_smile_wink:

resq302

Quote from: TUFCAT on September 09, 2012, 08:57:16 PM
Yes I probably would, especially considering the 1968 stripe has no R/T call out....and it looks cool. :icon_smile_wink:

Neither does the 70 stripe!  Which makes it perfect for my car!
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

hatersaurusrex

I'm definitely doing it to my car when the paint goes on.   I don't know what the big deal is about the stripe.  Badges I could see a little more, but the stripe is just a decoration.
[ŌŌ]ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ[ŌŌ] = 68
[ŌŌ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ŌŌ] = 69
(ŌŌ)[ƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗ](ŌŌ) = 70

Homerr

My 1969 had a painted on stripe that I measured from a 1970.  No R/T badges though.