News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What do you think? Are R/T stripes cheesy on a non-R/T?

Started by bull, December 18, 2005, 03:45:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

I sure like the look of the R/T stripes on the '68s but I don't have an R/T. Is it a no-no to put R/T stripes on a lowly 383 Charger?

greenpigs

No, its your car and you can do whatever you want to it. I think the stripe looks nice, but when I redo mine the stripe is getting left off and I am going to put the emblems on instead.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

GTX

Hell no!
My buddy does it along with badges and so am I but it is really a loser move to try to pass it off as anything but a clone. You also look silly when someone looks at your vin or the other tell tale signs.
My buddy is quick to tell people that his is a 383 Charger as is mine. It's your car, enjoy it.

golden73

:iagree:

Its your car, do what you want to do with it. I love the look of the R/T stripe. I was thinking about putting one on my 73... but I would have to get it painted on instead of using a decal... but thats the only thing that stopped me!

hemihead

As others have said it's your car but in my opinion , it is.
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

Spartan

I like the look too.  If its a 69, someone told me to use a 70 stripe since it does not have the RT on the stripe itself.  I am in no way trying to pass mine off as an RT so I was thinking about doing something noticably different like get a dark green stripe on my x3 green since they did not make a green stripe.  I just like to make the car a little unique, right now I have light green pin striping along the body lines to bring them out more.  You really don't notice it until you get close so it doesn't look guadi.
Over?! its not over until we say it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!...Hell no! and its not over now!..(Germans? Pearl Harbor?...shut up, he's on a roll)

R2

I would put the stripe ON....I think it looks killer,,,,and it doesnt matter that its a non RT car....
You could always photo shop it,,,and see if you like it,,,but i bet you will......
R2 :icon_smile_wink:

bull

I'm kind of thinking flat black bumble bee R/T stripes would look pretty good against gloss black paint. :drool5:

694spdRT

Did you decide to paint the car black? I remember you were debating that a while ago.

I think using the '68 R/T stripe is fine as it does not call out R/T anyway. I am planning to put one on my '68 383.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

RT DAVE

I didn't realize the bumblebee stripe was exclusive to the RT model in 1968.  Is it?
68 CHARGER RT<br />06 MAGNUM RT<br />02 INTREPID SXT

Lowprofile

I'm crushed that your not going with the Panther Pink. :icon_smile_kisses: :icon_smile_kisses: :icon_smile_kisses:

BTW, The flat black stripe would look very cool on a gloss black finish. :2thumbs:
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

hotrod98

It's your car...if I saw it at a car show, I'd give it a thumbs up.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

6pkrunner

If the rest of the car is cloned to R/T designation, then I'd say sure. However, IMHO the stripe was part of the package that told others "Don't screw with me". Those wanting the more Q-ship appearance went for the stripe delete. But the hardware is in place to back up the stripe. Sort of putting 5 stars on a private. While the look may be there, the intestinal fortitude isn't.
There are more and more out there that have no idea of what these cars were when new. Yes I'm getting older. For the neophytes that never knew these cars when new to show less than the full package is kind of distorting history. An Iowa class without the 16 inch guns.
But if you are going to put the rest of the R/T ingrediants into her, then by all means. Yeah, I'm by far in the minority and its your car and you can do what you like, but you did solicit opinions.

Troy

Quote from: RT DAVE on December 18, 2005, 09:46:02 AM
I didn't realize the bumblebee stripe was exclusive to the RT model in 1968. Is it?
Yes. Actually, it is on all three years of the second gen (69 Daytonas and 500s are the same base as R/Ts).

It's your car so if you want a stripe then go for it. If you want to put badges on it then go for it. If anyone wants to stick up their nose when they see the VIN then I hope they trip while walking away. My opinion of course. Stripes can always be removed so it's not like you're destroying the value or anything.

I suppose that I should also say that I love it when someone drops a beefed up big block into a 318 car and doesn't add any of the badging/stripes. Keeps everyone guessing. Not that I know anyone who would do such a thing... :D

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

hemi68charger

Quote from: bull on December 18, 2005, 03:45:46 AM
I sure like the look of the R/T stripes on the '68s but I don't have an R/T. Is it a no-no to put R/T stripes on a lowly 383 Charger?

hell no.... If you want to, do it......   It'll look great.............  What color combo do you have and what stripe are you going to put on?

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

greenpigs

Quote from: bull on December 18, 2005, 08:18:53 AM
I'm kind of thinking flat black bumble bee R/T stripes would look pretty good against gloss black paint. :drool5:

Wake up Hemi.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

cudaken

The way I look at it, all the body's started the same, it was not your fault they made your car wrong! I see nothing wrong with the strips or badges as long as you don't try to sell them as a real R/T.

As far as people making fun you when they see the Vin, just tell them to look at a different car. There will always be people like that. If you have a real R/T, that kind of person will find something else wrong with your car.

Bull, I saw a Challenger T/A that was a black car with flat black stips. Odd looking and cool at the same time. My self, I would use a red one.

Ken
I am back

bull

Quote from: 6pkrunner on December 18, 2005, 11:01:24 AM
If the rest of the car is cloned to R/T designation, then I'd say sure. However, IMHO the stripe was part of the package that told others "Don't screw with me". Those wanting the more Q-ship appearance went for the stripe delete. But the hardware is in place to back up the stripe. Sort of putting 5 stars on a private. While the look may be there, the intestinal fortitude isn't.
There are more and more out there that have no idea of what these cars were when new. Yes I'm getting older. For the neophytes that never knew these cars when new to show less than the full package is kind of distorting history. An Iowa class without the 16 inch guns.
But if you are going to put the rest of the R/T ingrediants into her, then by all means. Yeah, I'm by far in the minority and its your car and you can do what you like, but you did solicit opinions.

Don't worry about fallout, 6pk. I did ask for opinions and I actually tend to agree with you. What I consider even worse is all the R/T badging, stripes and bells and whistles and then you open the hood to find a 318. The only reason I'd consider it is due to the asthetic nature of the stripes. I think they look very nice and break up that long back end with some visual activity. No way I'm trying to fool anyone, I just think it makes a perfect-looking car look even more perfect. The clone thing holds no interest for me but the stripes are nice. :icon_smile_tongue:

Quote from: 694spdRT on December 18, 2005, 09:28:50 AM
Did you decide to paint the car black? I remember you were debating that a while ago.

I'm leaning very heavily in that direction, yes. Even though I "decided" to go with the original green I still keep wishing for black. As I told RTPTRON here a while back, "if I painted my car green I'd still want a black Charger." He told me it sounds like the decision has been made. I'm a little fearful of the upleep it's going to require but it's just so stunning, like being married to a beautiful yet high-maintenance woman.

Quote from: Lowprofile on December 18, 2005, 10:30:33 AM
I'm crushed that your not going with the Panther Pink. :icon_smile_kisses: :icon_smile_kisses: :icon_smile_kisses:

You'll think crushed when I put you in a headlock. :icon_smile_evil:

bull

Quote from: hemi68charger on December 18, 2005, 11:47:28 AM
Quote from: bull on December 18, 2005, 03:45:46 AM

hell no.... If you want to, do it......     It'll look great.............   What color combo do you have and what stripe are you going to put on?

Troy

Originally it was TT-1 green on a black interior, no vinyl. I'm sticking with the smooth roof and am about 99% sure I'm going black on black. That's why I was thinking about the flat black stripes. It sticks to the black theme and is subtle yet noticeable. If I get the stripes I probably won't put them on immediately anyway. It will give me some time to mull it over.
:ahum:

greenpigs

QuoteOriginally it was TT-1 green on a black interior, no vinyl

I have no respect for you any longer sir. :spank:
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

bull

Quote from: greenpigs on December 18, 2005, 12:09:29 PM
QuoteOriginally it was TT-1 green on a black interior, no vinyl

I have no respect for you any longer sir. :spank:

Why not? Wait, you had some respect for me at one point?

greenpigs

Well it just seems that most 68's are painted black, you act like green is bronze or something. :icon_smile_big: :devil:
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

bull

Quote from: greenpigs on December 18, 2005, 12:19:37 PM
Well it just seems that most 68's are painted black, you act like green is bronze or something. :icon_smile_big: :devil:

You're right. A lot of Chargers are painted black, and I really don't mind the green but I just really, really like black. The thing about the "most Chargers are black" argument IMO is that where I live it's very rare to see ANY Charger so a black Charger is very rare just because it's a Charger. Maybe at Mopar car shows elsewhere across the country they are common but here in Oregon, even at the biggest Mopar show in the state, there were no black Chargers.

Johnny SixPack

I agree that it's your car, and your choice.

Also agree with much of what 6pk is saying.

You're not passing it off as an R/T, so I see no problem with it. :2thumbs:

I'm contemplating the same question in regards to my "69 SE.

Although I'm going to see about a custom stripe with G/T on it instead of R/T.   ;D
Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

"If its got tits or tires, you're going to have trouble with it." - Unknown

Got Dodge Fever? There's only one cure.....Charger!

greenpigs

QuoteYou're right. A lot of Chargers are painted black, and I really don't mind the green but I just really, really like black

Then paint it black, sing it with me big guy:

I see a red door and I want to paint it black

No colors anymore I want it to turn black

:punkrocka:
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free