News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How was the Nats?

Started by MsMopar, August 15, 2010, 08:07:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DC_1

Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on August 18, 2010, 09:13:13 PM

I wish they'd move the gNats back to the Chelsea grounds... or anyplace that has a decent set of clean bathrooms!  :yesnod:

What a great idea! That would be an awesome venue that would be! I was there years ago when they had an Open House and as a car guy it was one of the greatest things I have ever been to.

chargerboy69

Quote from: Sydmoe on August 18, 2010, 10:08:25 PM
Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on August 18, 2010, 09:13:13 PM

I wish they'd move the gNats back to the Chelsea grounds... or anyplace that has a decent set of clean bathrooms!  :yesnod:

What a great idea! That would be an awesome venue that would be! I was there years ago when they had an Open House and as a car guy it was one of the greatest things I have ever been to.

Sounds good to me. 

Now is there a drag strip there?  I know there is a oval track.  I know for some, they come for the drag racing.  Me, I could not care less.

Joliet IL has a top rate facility there, and I can not understand why Nats organizers do not consider this place as well. They have a drag strip and Chicagoland Speedway all right there.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

TUFCAT

I'm pretty sure it has to do with the money........ National Trails is probably much cheaper to rent, and its "all about the money". :icon_smile_dissapprove:

richRTSE

Sounds to me like a lot of people that didn't go sure didn't like it, but I had a great time, even with the heat. We already booked our rooms for next year too.
:2thumbs:

This is the only "big" mopar show I make it to every year, along with one or two of the CC events.  I never made it to the Nationals at Indy, but I've been to Columbus every year since '98.  Seemed just about as crowded this year, and I had just as much of a hard time finding a place to park my car as last year.  Personally, I don't expect to get McDonald's prices on burgers or valet  parking at an event this big. We usually bring a cooler full of stuff and hit the local restaurants when we leave. And I imagine with attendance close to 50,000 for the weekend the bathrooms will get a little gross. I will say that the last couple of years the bathroom situation has gotten better with the his and hers portable bathroom trailers they've brought in a placed through out the track. Even have portable  sinks with soap and water. Definately an improvement over rows of the port-a-pots.

I didn't seem to notice the golf carts as much this years as in the past, but I also didn't spend very much time in the swap area either.

Personally I'd like to see it move to Norwalk (Summit Raceway Park), as that is definately a nicer track than National Trails, and I'm sure people closer to Indy would like to see it moved  back there. I tried to find attendance numbers for the Nationals at Indy, but all I could find was one article that said attendance was "almost 48,000" in '93. I did find attendance number for Columbus from 1999-2009 and its been at least 48,000 every year with highs of over 56,000 in 2004 and 2005. I don't think attendance has taken a hit moving it out of Indy. I do seem to remember during the Indy years people complaining about it being there too. I guess you'll never please every one.

:Twocents:

chargerboy69

Quote from: richRTSE on August 19, 2010, 01:13:11 PM

I tried to find attendance numbers for the Nationals at Indy, but all I could find was one article that said attendance was "almost 48,000" in '93. I did find attendance number for Columbus from 1999-2009 and its been at least 48,000 every year with highs of over 56,000 in 2004 and 2005. I don't think attendance has taken a hit moving it out of Indy. I do seem to remember during the Indy years people complaining about it being there too. I guess you'll never please every one.

They posted the numbers a year or two back in Mopar Action or Mopar Muscle for the last 15 or so Nats.  I remember every year in Indy was higher than Columbus, and by a substantial number too. I will see if I can dig it up. Either way, I should not get so worked up on them moving it as Tufcat said earlier.  It is all about money, and I would guess Columbus is cheaper than other tracks.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

challenger70

Quote from: richRTSE on August 19, 2010, 01:13:11 PM
Sounds to me like a lot of people that didn't go sure didn't like it, but I had a great time, even with the heat. We already booked our rooms for next year too.
:2thumbs:

This is the only "big" mopar show I make it to every year, along with one or two of the CC events.  I never made it to the Nationals at Indy, but I've been to Columbus every year since '98.  Seemed just about as crowded this year, and I had just as much of a hard time finding a place to park my car as last year.  Personally, I don't expect to get McDonald's prices on burgers or valet  parking at an event this big. We usually bring a cooler full of stuff and hit the local restaurants when we leave. And I imagine with attendance close to 50,000 for the weekend the bathrooms will get a little gross. I will say that the last couple of years the bathroom situation has gotten better with the his and hers portable bathroom trailers they've brought in a placed through out the track. Even have portable  sinks with soap and water. Definately an improvement over rows of the port-a-pots.

I didn't seem to notice the golf carts as much this years as in the past, but I also didn't spend very much time in the swap area either.

Personally I'd like to see it move to Norwalk (Summit Raceway Park), as that is definately a nicer track than National Trails, and I'm sure people closer to Indy would like to see it moved  back there. I tried to find attendance numbers for the Nationals at Indy, but all I could find was one article that said attendance was "almost 48,000" in '93. I did find attendance number for Columbus from 1999-2009 and its been at least 48,000 every year with highs of over 56,000 in 2004 and 2005. I don't think attendance has taken a hit moving it out of Indy. I do seem to remember during the Indy years people complaining about it being there too. I guess you'll never please every one.

:Twocents:

:iagree:  it seems everyone that wasn't there had a terrible time :smilielol:  You can't compare it to carlisle, the 'nats has it all, racing, cruising, swap, vendors, etc... not just 2-3 things like Carlisle. 
'68 383 A833 QQ1 Charger
'70  440 727 FY1 Challenger

SuperJim

We set up in the swap meet and did about the same $ amount the last 3 years. I understand some expecting a discount at a show, but as pointed out by some others it does cost us vendors for space, hotels for 4 nights, and gas for traveling about 1,800 miles. That all addss to our cost of doing business, so it's hard to discount things then, and still make something. We'll keep going because we do sell some product, and really enjoy talking with current customers, meet and greet new customers, look at the cars, and eat at Waffle House. So we'll be back.

It does amaze me though how Carlise can have an event with no un-needed golf carts, no 4x4's, no mopeds, no bicycles, and have a very busy successful event of grand size. Without all that stuff. Love the ones who park in front of your 20 foot opening with their 10 foot long carts. Why not stay out in the middle of the aisle? It would make sense...

Anyway, yes I still like the Nat's, had fun, will go again. Just wish they were a bit different like Carlise. WHAT a place that is....
Jim
Supercar Collectibles, Ltd.
http://www.supercar1.com/index.php

PA Dodger

Quote from: SuperJim on August 19, 2010, 04:48:46 PM
It does amaze me though how Carlise can have an event with no un-needed golf carts, no 4x4's, no mopeds, no bicycles, and have a very busy successful event of grand size. Without all that stuff. Love the ones who park in front of your 20 foot opening with their 10 foot long carts. Why not stay out in the middle of the aisle? It would make sense...
That was my biggest complaint with the Nats.
As far as Indy, I went one year. I liked it more than Columbus. But I got pulled over twice in Indy for not "being somewhere". Not for speeding, or drunk driving, or road rage. I wasn't even in a musclecar! Just my suspicious? looking Dakota. When I told the officer we were looking for a resturant I was told to go to the hotel until we picked a place to eat. Gotta love that hospitality. Makes me want to go back again and again.
'69 Charger / '69 Dart convertible/ '74 Cuda

DixieRestoParts

We finally made it home tonight about 9:30. This has been one expensive show season for me. An engine after Carlisle and a tranny after the Nats. Guess those Hemi's aren't all their cracked up to be. LOL.

Good to be home. Thanks for all the well wishes.
Dixie Restoration Parts
Ball Ground, Georgia
Phone: (770) 975-9898
Phone Hours: M-F 10am-6pm EST
mail@dixierestorationparts.com
Veteran owned small business

The Best Parts at a Fair Price

Ghoste

Glad to hear you're home okay.

SuperJim

QuoteYou can't compare it to carlisle, the 'nats has it all, racing, cruising, swap, vendors, etc... not just 2-3 things like Carlisle. 

But let's compare the Nat's to Carlisle - for a swap vendor as we are.

NATS:
Swap Meet on uneven grass and/or rocks, dusty pathways with golf carts, mopeds, 4x4's, cars, trucks, people parking in front of your space to talk to others or go to a different space. Food choices of burger, riblet sandwich, pizza.

CARLISLE: Swap meet on nice grass, paved roads with only medical/emergency, parts hauling traffic. No one ever blocking your space. Food choices... been there? Wow. Plus a place to sit in the shade... They even "answer" the phone, to help with questions on the event.

I agree the Nat's racing is great, Nat's cruising is fun, and that those things are not at Carlisle. But if you're going to be a vendor... Nat's are no fun, just part of what one must put up with in doing business.

Just my opinion.
Jim
Supercar Collectibles, Ltd.
http://www.supercar1.com/index.php

RAC95054

Quote from: MRCHARGER on August 16, 2010, 08:07:23 AM
I had not gone in about 10 years. It didn't seem like "The Mopar Nationals". I've been to a Mopar show at Milan Dragway that was just as fun, just as hot, and just as dusty an 240 miles closer. I was thinking last night; where do they put the concourse cars and how do you keep them from getting blown out with dirt.

I'd say sales were down because vendors charged the same prices on stuff as the do on the internet, sure you save shipping, but most times that's only 5 or 10 bucks. It's not cheap to drive down to Columbus and stay 1 or 2 nights, gas, food, entry.... Whatever happened to the show discount. I'm not talking 50% or anything but even Year One gives you 20% from time to time. Give 10% so I feel like it was worth the trip.

As far as the swaps, some things never change; if it's for a Charger it must be worth it's weight in gold. After 25 years of going to these things I can't believe how many guys will keep putting the same junk back in their trailers when you are standing there with cash and a reasonable offer. I hate getting beat up on shit that I sell, but I'm selling it because I don't need it. Hey dude, wander around and see how many of these things are re-popped and figure if the original that you're selling is rusty, dirty, and broken just like the one the I pulled off my car why the hell would I buy it or anyone else for that matter. Either take the time to restore the piece and then expect top dollar or sell it like the piece of junk that it is. Or just keep throwing it out on the grass and then back in the trailer, whatever, but quit bitching about how bad things are or how cheap buyers are. I've got so much money tied up in my Charger it hurts to think about it and then I have to make someone rich because they have a bumper jack!?!?! (I feel better now that I got that off my chest)

Well put.  I wish they would all read this post and at least try to justify the prices they ask. Sure, takes time/gas/effort to track someof it down, but I for many it's not a full time job either.
Play: Work that you enjoy doing for nothing.   -Evan Esar

Charger_Dart

My wife & I really enjoyed the Nats this year. We have been going for the last 12 years and this year was hot, really hot, but still a good time. I guess we know what to expect going into it so the issues that have been brought up are there and should be addressed by organizers. The worst part for me is the golf carts. On Friday I could not believe that a couple of guys thought it was a good idea to stand? in line, in their golf cart for the goodie bag and registration - talk about lazy. Heck it was only a 5 minute wait. Anyways, I would like to mention that the town of Heath really tried to make the cruising of their town a place to be. This year there setup trash cans and port-o-lets along the cruise route and had live music. Very nicely done, and a totally different attitude then Reynoldsburg or Indy. We brought the Dart this year and bought some parts from the vendors at what I considered to be good prices. This year we made the trip to Mopars at the Strip and have been to Carlisle but we really enjoy the racing and cruising so the Nats win for us. It was fun this year and we will go back again next year. If you liked the way Heath treated us, send the mayor a email -mayor@heathohio.gov
Mike     
68 Charger R/T & 68 Dart GT Convertible