News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Vinyl top installation

Started by NGC414, July 02, 2010, 01:34:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NGC414

I need to get my vinyl top done when I get my car back from the body shop. I was just courious if anyone has tackled this job on their own or if there were any shops in the north east/ north central Ohio area that can do a good job on one.

twodko

I'm assuming your car is coming out of the body shop with fresh paint. If this is the case, I wish you would've posted this question before the car went in for paint. The majority consensus from forum members is to put a new VT on first then get the car painted. You don't want chance damaging fresh paint putting a new top on your car. If the car is painted already all you can do is wrap the painted surfaces with protective sheeting of some kind and go, carefully, from there. Good luck

Tom
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

NGC414

Quote from: twodko on July 16, 2010, 12:34:57 PM
I'm assuming your car is coming out of the body shop with fresh paint. If this is the case, I wish you would've posted this question before the car went in for paint. The majority consensus from forum members is to put a new VT on first then get the car painted. You don't want chance damaging fresh paint putting a new top on your car. If the car is painted already all you can do is wrap the painted surfaces with protective sheeting of some kind and go, carefully, from there. Good luck

Tom
Would it be ok to install over primer? I actually could still install before paint. I talked to the body shop owner yesterday and he said they have not had a chance to start on the car yet. So I assume its still sitting in the corner where I left it a couple months ago.

twodko

Primer will absorb moisture. If at all possible insist your guy put some color on the roof before your VT. This is what many members here suggested to me and I'm glad I took the advce.

Tom
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

bill440rt

Quote from: NGC414 on July 16, 2010, 01:36:47 PM
Quote from: twodko on July 16, 2010, 12:34:57 PM

Tom
Would it be ok to install over primer? I actually could still install before paint. I talked to the body shop owner yesterday and he said they have not had a chance to start on the car yet. So I assume its still sitting in the corner where I left it a couple months ago.

Didn't we JUST cover this topic??

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,70873.0.html

Vinyl top install right here:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,30095.0.html
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

NGC414

I don't think I'm going to tackle it on my own. Mostly just courious if someone could reccomend a shop that can do it in Ohio.