News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

upper door pad chrome window bristles and medallions

Started by charger2fast4u, June 20, 2010, 01:50:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charger2fast4u

i'm reupholstering my upper door pads in my 68 charger have acouple questions about them. i see the chrome window trim with the fuzzies that touch on the window are held on using heavy staples. whats the best way to reattach new chrome trims on the pads? what did you's use? also the medallion looks like a 1 time use and done design because it is pop riveted on to the pad and once taken off you cant reattach pop rivits back on the back of medallion. am i right should i just buy new one's to put on? thanks

bill440rt

I made staples out of heavy stainless wire to reattach them, it was a pain lining up the holes. I've heard others using very small phillips screws, but I'm not a fan of that.

Use a small dremel to remove the emblems. Try to save as much of the studs as you can. You can rettach them using a dab of epoxy on the backside. Works for me.
:Twocents:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

twodko

What Bill said about the medalion. There was a recent post here where the guy used pop rivets to attach the new felt. I bought all new felts by Cat Whiskers. They're supposed to be the best out there but, comparing them to stock, the whisker pads are not as thick as OEM felts. I'm replacing all mine anyway except for the inner felts on my quarter windows. These felts are in great shape because the quarter windows don't get the same use as door windows. If yours are toast then you have a project on your hands, if they're in good shape just leave 'em there.

Tom
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

charger2fast4u

i reupholstered my door pads so i had to take off the pads medallions and the chrome pad trim and whiskers. now i need a way to reattach the chrome whiskers back onto the pads i was thinking using pop rivits they should get pressed tight enough so the rivits don't scratch on the window and get burried in the whiskers like the stock staples did.  but don't know if they will stick out to far on the back side and cause any mounting issues. i had them off the car for awhile so i forget how they fit on the door. any other ideas or suggestions i'd like to see what you's all came up with.

doctor4766

Ok, I'm quoting from my experience with my '69 but I'm sure the inner chrome/fuzzies clipped into the door itself and weren't actually attached to the upper pad.
The ones I bought (as a complete set of 8 inners and outers) the chrome wasn't as wide as the originals on the inners so I ended up using the originals there and fitted the 4 new outers only, because the inners didn't cover the upper pads enough.
Gotta love a '69

71_Charger_R/T

I just replaced mine with new ones on new legendary panels (third gen) I just used short pop rivets with no problems contacting glass or interfering with where they hang on the door frame. I used a dab of 3M seam sealer to hold the medallions back in place.  :Twocents:

charger2fast4u

Quote from: doctor4766 on July 06, 2010, 09:07:35 AM
Ok, I'm quoting from my experience with my '69 but I'm sure the inner chrome/fuzzies clipped into the door itself and weren't actually attached to the upper pad.
The ones I bought (as a complete set of 8 inners and outers) the chrome wasn't as wide as the originals on the inners so I ended up using the originals there and fitted the 4 new outers only, because the inners didn't cover the upper pads enough.

not sure if they are put together different over the years but on my 68 they are stapled through the felt/chrome trim and into the upper door pad to be secured in place. i think i'm going to try pop rivits if nobody has any better ideas.