News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What is the "Best oil filter" and why?

Started by b5blue, June 30, 2010, 05:04:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1BAD68

In my opinion a better constructed filter is more important than a better filtering filter.
How much "debris" do we have in our engines?
It's common knowledge that as oil turns black, its not dirt turning it black, its just the properties in pertroleum changing the color when heated.
Other than microscopic bearing and metal particles what else would the filter need to catch?

NorwayCharger

Quote from: RD on July 03, 2010, 04:57:43 PM
moparguy01 had a fram filter element get sucked up into his engine because the cardboard support failed. i cut up all these filters back in 2001 before i even knew this study existed and saw the differences between the filters. by simple deductive reasoning (and common sense) I concluded that I would rather have a wix in place of a fram any day.  the study didnt make me paranoid, my experience with these filters and moparguy01's experience did.

i guess, you should all ask yourself this:

is it worth it when running your engine with something that has a greater possibility of failure in comparison to others?  if the filter element became detached from a wix, mobil one, or any other with a metal infrastructure, would the filter element get sucked up into the oil pump?  My answer is NO to both questions.

you pay for insurance for your car, your house, your boat... why not pay a lil extra insurance to make sure you are not a victim of something, that in most cases, $2 extra would alleviate? 
:2thumbs:

Well said, thats why i use K&N or Royal Purple..
AKA the drummer boy
http://www.pink-division.com

Dodgecharger74

well I am going out to change my oil I will be using a K&N  it will be easier to get off with a wrench
74 charger se
82 dodge PU fleetside short box 440
05 magnum 5.7 Hemi
04 rumble bee hemi

rt green

we would cut open all of the oil filters at the construction co that i use to work at. we mostly used cat and baldwin.   both were very very well constructed. we would send in oil samples at that time. for what i saw, they were both very high quallity.
third string oil changer

John_Kunkel

Quote from: RD on July 03, 2010, 04:57:43 PM
i guess, you should all ask yourself this:

is it worth it when running your engine with something that has a greater possibility of failure in comparison to others? make sure you are not a victim of something, that in most cases, $2 extra would alleviate? 

So, what determines which brand of filter has a "greater possibility of failure"? An internet eyeball "study"? A single anecdote of failure?

Like I said, when any of the millions of Fram filters made fails it becomes news simply because they've had a long-standing bad rap. When other brands fail (and you know they do) nobody reports it.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

RD

Quote from: John_Kunkel on July 04, 2010, 06:47:52 PM
So, what determines which brand of filter has a "greater possibility of failure"? An internet eyeball "study"? A single anecdote of failure?

Like I said, when any of the millions of Fram filters made fails it becomes news simply because they've had a long-standing bad rap. When other brands fail (and you know they do) nobody reports it.

i cannot name every single person who has told me that their fram failed on them, and I will admit I can only count the total number on one hand, no more.  but I have never, in 9 years working in autoparts had anyone come to me saying their k&n, mobil one, wix, bosch, or even microguard filter failed them and ruined their engine.

fram is a decent filter, never said they were crap, never said they were horrible, but fram (due to its internal construction) has a higher likelihood of having its filter element sucked into the oil pump than many other filters due to its construction.  that is fact.. you cannot argue that. Because of that fact, its just makes more sense to pay the extra $2 for insurance if you ask me.

The initial question of this thread was/is "what is the best oil filter".  to that, I say wix is the best overall filter based on price and quality, and fram is not.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

b5blue

I'll be cutting open the Fram I saved from my 1st oil change after my rebuild now for sure.  :scratchchin: I saved it after reading the Oil Warning posted here as the car had only 1 or 2 hours of run time with Valvoline (street not race) in it.  :eek2:

John_Kunkel

Quote from: RD on July 04, 2010, 07:12:06 PM
fram is a decent filter, never said they were crap, never said they were horrible, but fram (due to its internal construction) has a higher likelihood of having its filter element sucked into the oil pump than many other filters due to its construction.  that is fact.. you cannot argue that.

I most assuredly can. Take a look at the statement you just posted and see how the "fact" is impossible.

How can the filter element be "sucked into the pump" when the filter is downstream of the pump?

RD

Quote from: John_Kunkel on July 05, 2010, 05:54:39 PM
Quote from: RD on July 04, 2010, 07:12:06 PM
fram is a decent filter, never said they were crap, never said they were horrible, but fram (due to its internal construction) has a higher likelihood of having its filter element sucked into the oil pump than many other filters due to its construction.  that is fact.. you cannot argue that.

I most assuredly can. Take a look at the statement you just posted and see how the "fact" is impossible.

How can the filter element be "sucked into the pump" when the filter is downstream of the pump?

touche'... guess i should have said oil system, either way, it will find its way to the pump... so now we are discussing semantics.  

you have done much to say that this whole oil filter study and anything anyone else says that is opposite to your opinion and experiences are just bunk, what makes your opinion and experiences fact?  can anyone prove anything you say in regards to this other than "i have ran everything for so many odd years and never had one issue" (obviously paraphrased).

you show not one bit of proof other than your opinion in regards to the quality of oil filters, but you would just rather argue a moot point that your experiences show that there are no differences at all.

argue to argue all you want, but until you actually put forth some type of testimony that is something other than opinionated dribble in regards to what oil filter is best, then your arguments will fall on deaf ears.

so, in other words, put your money where your mouth is john and come up with something other than "john says so, so it must be true."
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

b5blue

John_Kunkel

Quote from: RD on July 05, 2010, 11:39:43 PM

touche'... guess i should have said oil system, either way, it will find its way to the pump... so now we are discussing semantics.

It's not about semantics, it's about having convenient anecdotal experiences to back your argument. 

Quoteyou have done much to say that this whole oil filter study and anything anyone else says that is opposite to your opinion and experiences are just bunk, what makes your opinion and experiences fact?

Surprisingly enough what the oil filter study "says" is "if a product is ugly it must be of low quality", that's all. You'll notice I haven't used the word "fact" in relation to any filter's quality, only a fool would do so (mirror check) and, yes, the popular opinion here differs from my personal experience, what's that say? What it says is just what I said several comments back "when any of the millions of Fram filters made fails it becomes news simply because they've had a long-standing bad rap". Many people are now branding Toyotas as "junk" based on failures that are no more numerous than some other makes but the news media cries panic and the dutiful little robots snap to attention.

I'd say it's safe to say that if any other brand of filter got the bad report on that filter "study", there would be "me too" people just like you here condemning it as vigorously as you are Fram.

Quoteargue to argue all you want, but until you actually put forth some type of testimony that is something other than opinionated dribble in regards to what oil filter is best, then your arguments will fall on deaf ears.

Look up to the beginning of this thread, I have not put forth any "opiniated dribble in regards to what oil filter is best", all I have done is point out the shaky "facts" on which the Fram condemnations are based.

Quoteso, in other words, put your money where your mouth is john and come up with something other than "john says so, so it must be true."

Gosh, Jamie, your comments are getting kinda nasty, is that how an avowed Christian carries on an otherwise sedate discussion? (Do as I say, not as I do?) The only thing in this debate that I have said is "true" is the references to how no evidence becomes evidence in the mind of those with pre-conceived notions. Your overly emotional replies here prove that.

RD

Quote from: John_Kunkel on July 06, 2010, 05:00:16 PM
Gosh, Jamie, your comments are getting kinda nasty, is that how an avowed Christian carries on an otherwise sedate discussion? (Do as I say, not as I do?) The only thing in this debate that I have said is "true" is the references to how no evidence becomes evidence in the mind of those with pre-conceived notions. Your overly emotional replies here prove that.

not nice john.  to bring religion into something that has nothing to do with religion.  I have never asked you to be like me, talk like me, or do as I say not as I do.  I do not judge anyone, that is God's prerogative.. and obviously yours too.

Quoteso, in other words, put your money where your mouth is john and come up with something other than "john says so, so it must be true."

EQUALS, PUT UP OR SHUT UP.  I was not being nasty, I was just asking you to provide something to substantiate your claims.

So far all you have said is the "oil filter study" is ignorant and that anyone who believes in the "oil filter study" is pretty much 'ignorant'.  You have NOT said:

1. what you believe is the best oil filter
2. why your choice is the best oil filter

Both being very incremental to the initial post of this thread.  You seem to be taking on this thread as a means to argue something that has nothing to do with this thread considering the oil filter study was NEVER BROUGHT UP UNTIL YOU POPPED YOUR POST IN QUESTIONING WHY IT WAS NOT IN THIS THREAD?!?

I see you are just goading me into an argument.  I will respectfully bow out of this thread. 

And for the record, Christian or not, no one is perfect, we all sin.  If those that are not Christian believe Christians should act perfect and be perfect all the time, not make any mistakes, not say anything with malice, not be exactly like Jesus....than you all are the ones that liars to the truth.  You holding me to a higher standard and admittedly attempting to hold me at such only tells me that you would rather point out the negative and the wrong in others, but would most likely find it hard to find it in yourself.  That wasnt theology, that was counseling 101.. those who are miserable like to make others miserable.

And with that.. I bid farewell to your antics.

bull

I use Mopar filters that you can get for $5-something at WalMart or $8-something at the Dodge dealer. Made in USA and seem to work fine. And I like seeing Mopar parts on my three Mopars. Near as I can tell from reading about them they are made by either Purolator or Wix.

b5blue

375instroke

Quote from: 68X426 on July 01, 2010, 06:53:48 PM
Their conclusion: "It should be clear that Mopar filters are really nothing special. Unless you are trying to have a perfect restoration and need that Mopar logo, there is no reason why you should be buying Mopar oil filters."
Well, a perfect restoration wouldn't have a Mopar Performance logo.  I guess that's what you're talking about.  What happened to those restoration filters?  The light green textured ones?  I think I saw a lunch box filter selling for $900.  I use that oil filter study mentioned here when choosing filters.

Road Dog

Been running the beast on Frams since I bought it in 1978. My current build has 22 years and over 200,000 miles on Frams. 
If your wheels ain't spinn'n you ain't got no traction.

John_Kunkel

Quote from: RD on July 06, 2010, 06:04:12 PM

not nice john.  to bring religion into something that has nothing to do with religion. 

The emotion shown in your replies makes one think you're on a religious crusade to preach the evils of Fram.

QuoteEQUALS, PUT UP OR SHUT UP.  I was not being nasty, I was just asking you to provide something to substantiate your claims. So far all you have said is the "oil filter study" is ignorant and that anyone who believes in the "oil filter study" is pretty much 'ignorant'.

Never said that, that's your interpretation of me saying that the study is unscientific, they even allude to that on the site.

QuoteYou have NOT said:

1. what you believe is the best oil filter
2. why your choice is the best oil filter

I have not said for two simple reasons:

1) I don't have an opinion as to which is the best filter.
2) I don't have a preferred choice which you would know if you read my comments before hitting the "reply" button.

Quoteconsidering the oil filter study was NEVER BROUGHT UP UNTIL YOU POPPED YOUR POST IN QUESTIONING WHY IT WAS NOT IN THIS THREAD?!?

I brought up the subject of the study as a tongue-in-cheek comment that it was refreshing to see a discussion about oil filters without somebody linking to the oil filter study which is pretty standard in such discussions. You're the one who grabbed it to use as "evidence" of Fram's poor quality.

QuoteI will respectfully bow out of this thread.

Don't let the portal closure strike you in the gluteus maximus on your way out.

QuoteAnd for the record, Christian or not, no one is perfect, we all sin.

And those who supposedly live by the tenets of that religion are expected to behave in a manner consistant with those tenets, I merely point out the inconsistencies in that behavior when the opportunity arises.

68 RT

Quote from: John_Kunkel on July 03, 2010, 03:20:37 PM

Here's the simple facts, that "oil filter study" has made everybody paranoid about using Fram filters even though there are millions of satisfied users that have never had a filter-related failure. The cheap internal construction that is made such a big deal in all of the eyeball studies has nothing to do with the filter's ability to filter oil. On every used Fram that I have cut open the cardboard support ring is still there keeping the element centered.

Once a product gets a bad rap, all you will hear from then on are the negative experiences and the cycle repeats.

When it comes to oil and filters I usually just buy what's on sale and have never had a filter of any brand fail in 50+ years of driving/maintaining motor vehicles.

I agree 100%!  :cheers:

twodko

Gentlemen,

IMO it doesn't matter what brand of oil filter one uses. What's important is that its changed often.

Tom
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

John_Kunkel

Yes, and when one has a sizeable fleet and changes filters often the price becomes an issue.

Al

Quote from: RD on July 06, 2010, 06:04:12 PM

Don't let the portal closure strike you in the gluteus maximus on your way out.

1968 Dodge Charger, 383, UU1

Al

1968 Dodge Charger, 383, UU1

mikesbbody

I must admit, I too have never had any problems with Fram Filters I have gone off what others have recommended so I can see where John is coming from. Sometimes we have arguments on line recently Darkman and myself had a few words but have since put that behind us  ;) there are some Guy's here
Who I would never Argue with and John is one of them. No disrespect JD, but Your not going to "Win" against a guy that Intelligent (I do mean that not being sarcastic) but yes, people get paranoid when a product is labled "bad"  :Twocents:

moparguy01

I have had 3 Fram filters break down on me on 2 different vehicles all happened around 2001-2002. I honestly believe they are the worst filter one can buy, not just in manufacture, but also in customer service.

And yes, when they break down, filter element DOES get sucked into your oil passages just past the filter. How do I know? because I had to get the crap out after they broke down. Luckily I used mechanical gauges and saw the oil pressure drop in time to shut it off and not blow an engine. The first time was on a 85 grand marquis with a 302, then i put another filter thinking one was just bad, and it went out as well. Then it was replaced with a wix. The other was on a 3.9 in a 87 dakota which was also replaced with a wix filter. When I called Fram's customer hotline, told them my issues thinking maybe they had a bad batch of them and I would at the very least get reimbursed. The fella on the phone said, "Thats not our problem, f*#k off." and promptly hung up on me.

They are IMHO the WORST filter on the market due to personal experience and I will NEVER give them one cent of my money ever again. I hope they go out of business. Fram SUCKS!