News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 charger a/c convert to non a/c

Started by charger2fast4u, June 29, 2010, 05:12:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charger2fast4u

i got a 68 charger with factory a/c i'm in the middle of restoring it. i want to get rid of the a/c heater box and replace it with a non a/c heater box. would it bolt right in? have any extra holes in the firewall afterwards? would all the dash mounted controls hook up? thanks for any input

doctor4766

There are extra firewall holes for the A/C plumbing to come through.
You can still operate just the heater without swapping over the whole box ya know...
My Charger is factory air too but without the underhood components atm.
Why not just leave it in there incase one day you decide that A/C would be nice again

Gotta love a '69

charger2fast4u

was going to keep it aside and rebuild it so i always have it on hand if i ever decide to. figured i'd just get a heater only and put in and help clean up the firewall alittle to.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Holes for heater hoses are in different locations on each firewall (A/C & non-A/C)

Leave the A/C box in there....ran mine that way for years & then I put the under hood A/C stuff back....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

68blue

I just did this using the DMT rebuild kit. Worked out OK, I just left out the evaporator and various gizmos that went with it. Put a small patch over the AC line holes. I looked at replacing the AC but was told it was pretty expensive. Figured I would put that cash towards something else.

charger2fast4u

Quote from: 68blue on June 29, 2010, 11:49:48 AM

I just did this using the DMT rebuild kit. Worked out OK, I just left out the evaporator and various gizmos that went with it. Put a small patch over the AC line holes. I looked at replacing the AC but was told it was pretty expensive. Figured I would put that cash towards something else.

so you pretty much took off everything in the heater box that had to deal with the a/c? and just put it back in lkike that?

charger2fast4u

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on June 29, 2010, 09:08:47 AM
Holes for heater hoses are in different locations on each firewall (A/C & non-A/C)

Leave the A/C box in there....ran mine that way for years & then I put the under hood A/C stuff back....

i don't think i'll ever have the a/c hooked up with the plans i have for the car. so going to a non a/c box might be better for the look i'm going for inmo. how far off are the holes in the firewall a/c vs non a/c got any pics to show the difference by any chance? 68 charger if possible

six-tee-nine

My idea :

If you leave it then it should work properly or at least be set up corectly otherwise with missing hoses and other stuff it just looks silly. If you want to get rid of the AC the swap the firewall with a non ac car.
Like Brian did on his Daytona Clone
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

68blue

Quote from: charger2fast4u on June 29, 2010, 06:02:18 PM
Quote from: 68blue on June 29, 2010, 11:49:48 AM

so you pretty much took off everything in the heater box that had to deal with the a/c? and just put it back in lkike that?

Yes, the evaporator is the big thing to take out, there was also a water valve with a corroded attachment to one of the doors that I replaced with regular heater hose and fittings.

charger2fast4u

i was going to get some stainless or plain sheet metal and make cover plates for the extra holes in the firewall that way they are easily removable if i want to return the car to stock. i would like to keep the old heater a/c box intact instead of removing parts. i like to keep anything i can for a just incase i might need this someday thing :smilielol:  so if i were to get a heater only box would the only things sticking out the engine side of the firewall be the 2 coolant hoses? and they would be in a different mounting place in the firewall then where the a/c ones would be?

moparmoynihan

I cut half of my firewall out, and sectioned a non a/c firewall piece into my car. It was out of a 68 Coronet 4 door. It looks perfect. Johnny  :METAL:   

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?pid=30256287&id=1033351071
b7 1969 Charger 4 speed 440 4:10

charger2fast4u

Quote from: moparmoynihan on July 08, 2010, 10:52:19 AM
I cut half of my firewall out, and sectioned a non a/c firewall piece into my car. It was out of a 68 Coronet 4 door. It looks perfect. Johnny  :METAL:   

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?pid=30256287&id=1033351071

can you post any pics i keep clicking the link and it says i got to sign in to facebook to look at the pics. also did the mounting holes line up on the firewall with the non a/c box? the holes where the studs on the back of the heater box go through to the engine bay side and get bolted on. or did you have to relocate them to?

moparmoynihan

I'm having trouble uploading pics. My computer is a piece of crap. The mounting holes we're in the new firewall piece. The top of the cowl is original where the drip rail is. Underneath that is where it was cut. To the left of the wiper motor. All lines up perfect. I will try to get the pics for you. Johnny  :METAL:
b7 1969 Charger 4 speed 440 4:10

charger2fast4u

so the mounting studs are in different places on the firewall? i picked up a nice heater box at carlisle this weekend i'm going to clean up and put new seals in. is a 1967 heater box the same as 68?