News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Obscure Music (Video Links)

Started by Old Moparz, August 05, 2007, 02:17:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Moparz

While I was on another forum, a music related one, someone started a topic they called "Remember This" with some old music videos from the 80's. Now I hated MTV back then just as much as the music, but I got hooked on searching & finding some obscure videos of what I like on You Tube. What makes it more addictive, is that I finally got DSL (now FIOS...LOL) at home & I can now watch & hear something.   :cheers:

Anyway, I thought I'd start a similar topic on here since it was too damn hot out & I can hide in my house with the A/C on.  :D  Feel free to add something that you like, it's always good to find new music. Here's a few videos of some bands or artists I like, but you'll never see them on MTV. They just aren't "Popular" enough.  ::)  

Here's a local guy from New York City whom I've seen a dozen times & have also met. Nice guy, & his wife has an incredible voice too. If you like the blues, & the style of Stevie Ray Vaughan, you'll probably like this too.

This one is another blues player that I found after reading about him in "Blues Access" magazine. I got his CD & was immediately hooked on his sound. I love his acoustic, metal bodied, resonator guitar with a pick up in it. He signed a record deal with a bigger label than the small independent one he was with, but died from a heart attack before he put another album out. He also does a version of "When the Levee Breaks" that's better than previously recorded.

Here's one more, another guitarist I found on a college radio staion about 10 years ago. I also have a CD by the "Ginger Baker Trio" with this guy on it & didn't know it until I got his own CD. He plays a few styles, but I suppose it's mostly categorized as jazz. I'm looking to go see him the next time he's playing nearby, should be great.

Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Ponch ®

Heard this on Sirius' "The Vault" channel...creepiest song ever.

Savage Rose - Dear Little Mother
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Old Moparz

Quote from: Ponch ® on August 05, 2007, 03:12:31 AM
Heard this on Sirius' "The Vault" channel...creepiest song ever.

Savage Rose - Dear Little Mother

Kind of strange, reminds me of the plays they did back then like Godspell & Jesus Christ Superstar. I've heard of Savage Rose, but just don't recall having heard any songs by them.

How about this one for obscurity? I saw a record in a small shop in Greenwich Village in the late 70's by this band. It was $25 & I have no idea why when records back then were no more than $4 or $5. Anyway, in another shop I saw it for $2 on a discount table & bought it for two reasons. One, it peaked my curiosity as to what it sounded like, & two, why was it $25 somewhere else & $2 here. It might be a collector's item & an investment. (Yeah, right, it pretty much sucks, LOL.) I bought it, & the album cover is on the short video. One side note of trivia, I had read on their website, (Yes, they actually have a website) that they were one of the first rock band to tour with synthesizers.

Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Old Moparz

Here's another band that I had wished made more than one album. I never saw this video until just recently.

Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

dodgecharger-fan

Quote from: Old Moparz on August 05, 2007, 02:17:17 AM
Here's a local guy from New York City whom I've seen a dozen times & have also met. Nice guy, & his wife has an incredible voice too. If you like the blues, & the style of Stevie Ray Vaughan, you'll probably like this too.

I have an album of his - I used to subscribe to emusic.com and I downloaded it from there.
Brooklyn Basement Blues

Great stuff!

dodgecharger-fan

Not even close to his best stuff, but here's a video of a local guy - with some other guy singing.

Honest Frankie (playing the guitar)

Frankie is a Polish guy that plays Celtic music in Irish pubs. He's an old friend of the family - grew up with my oldest brother.
He can play just about anything you ask for, though. He can play a number of instruments as well.

All of my brothers and sisters went out to see his show earlier this year and had a blast. He spent a lot of time at our table and reminisced.
He played a song that my wife requested and he even introduced it in Polish. (My wife is of Polish heritage.)

He spent a number of years out East, honing his craft.

Now, he plays because he likes it, not because he needs the work.

Old Moparz

Quote from: dodgecharger-fan on August 08, 2007, 08:40:13 AM

I have an album of his - I used to subscribe to emusic.com and I downloaded it from there.
Brooklyn Basement Blues

Great stuff!

If you ever get the chance to see Popa Chubby live, don't pass it up. He plays smaller clubs, & has always put on a fantastic show. He'll take a break between sets, hang out at the table he sells CD's at & talk to everyone. I have that Brooklyn Basement Blues CD, it is a great disc.  :2thumbs:

One of his first CD's called "Booty & The Beast" is his best in my opinion. It's been out of print, but I do see it once in awhile. There's a lot of good tracks on that one including the one I posted a link to, "Stoop Down Baby".

Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Old Moparz

This is an old, old, thread, but it's mine & I am bringing it back for this incredible video.  :D

Jan Akkerman and Paco de Lucia
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vakx58fh4bA&feature=related
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Todd Wilson

derailed

Quote from: Todd Wilson on July 23, 2010, 10:57:39 PM
We do this all the time on FaceBook.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2glFe0sY_y4

Todd

Funny I just added that and Wind him up along with a bunch of Marillion on my playlist a couple days ago

mauve66

when in germany back in 85-87 i found a rock/metal group named Picture (album was called Every story needs another Picture, or something like that) that i liked but haven't found anything about them since, when i google it and they show album covers the album i had isn't there so i don't think its the same group as the google links

they had a song called Battlecruiser that i really liked, sure miss the old music back then
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment