News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Jiu Jitzu Kickboxing class

Started by dkn1997, January 15, 2010, 09:29:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dkn1997

1st one tomorrow.  Who's got some words of wisdom for me? I have no idea what to expect except that I know it will be the workout of a lifetime.

RECHRGED

dads_69

Have you ever been in Martial Arts or in a Dojo? Yes, you  will get a workout of a lifetime if you've never done it before. Did you get a physical before doing such also?
I'm sure the Sensei will go easy on your being your first time on mat and all, I hope. Any previous boxing experience also?
I study Shotokan and TKD. Trained in Kempo also, brown belt. Its a rush you'll hopefully wanna do every week from now on though, keeps you young!

Mark
Hey, you can hate the game but don't hate the player.

dodgecharger-fan

Todd Wilson

You'll be very sore for sure. When I took karate years ago I had problems with my feet also. I never have been much of a barefoot guy and the carpet really took its toll on the bottom of my feet. Lots of blisters and stuff.

Practice Practice Practice.    Takes years to kick like Van Damm! HAHA!

Todd

dkn1997

Quote from: dads_69 on January 15, 2010, 09:47:49 PM
Have you ever been in Martial Arts or in a Dojo? Yes, you  will get a workout of a lifetime if you've never done it before. Did you get a physical before doing such also?
I'm sure the Sensei will go easy on your being your first time on mat and all, I hope. Any previous boxing experience also?
I study Shotokan and TKD. Trained in Kempo also, brown belt. Its a rush you'll hopefully wanna do every week from now on though, keeps you young!

Mark

Never been to a dojo.  I did get a physical last week.  that's why I'm going to the dojo tomorrow lol. turned 40 in november, overweight,  clearly not healthy...but I have zero medical problems.  genitically, i'm lucky. my family has a long history of strong hearts, low (not too low) blood pressure, and long life.  but at my age (can't believe I just wrote that) I know I can't take it for granted any longer.  considering what a fat bastard I am, I'm in ok shape. I ran a 10K in october and a 5k thanksgiving day.  I will run again, but the prospect of running in this shitty weather 5 times a week makes me want to vomit in my mouth.  I'm going with 3 women to the class so at least that part is good. one of them was an avid kickboxer a few years ago and she's getting back into it.  plus I got a "biggest loser" type thing going at work (that phrase would have a whole different meaning before that weightloss show)

Unless you count barfights in my 20's, I have no boxing or martial arts experience.  In fact, till I read your post, I was spelling the instructors title as sinsay.   I have no illusions of becoming some fighter.  I just want to get in better shape.  i have always enjoyed physical fitness that involves some sort of sport.  Running is ok, but something like raquetball or basketball, etc... is more interesting to me.  I lost a bunch of weight 4 years ago by changing my eating habits and running a lot.  I've tried to get back on that same routine a few times over the last year and I lose interest fast.  it kills me because I have lost weight before.... I think this will be a good jumpstart. 

I'm starting to realize as I get older that it's ok to sort of need others around you to encourage... I used to think I had to do it by myself.  run...by myself.  eat...by myself. 

thanks for the input guys....  i will post pics of my miraculous transformation in a couple of weeks.  lol..
RECHRGED

dads_69

Well good for you man! I think we have a few things in common here at least besides mopars, past tense bar fights in our 20's and 30's. I'm 42 now, man has life changed over the years, for the better though.
My kids are in M/A's as well. I plan to get my belts in Shotokan and TaeKwonDo both within 3 to 4 years now.
Not to look for trouble, for my own benefit now vs. hard assing guys.
Trust me, I've had my ass handed to me many times before I realized the full affect.
Amazing how we get older and decide to take better care of ourselves finally vs. when we were 20. But beer was just so damn good back then, haha.
Remember, its an exercise you'll endure everytime you hit the floor/ring that will give you stamina and confidence. Let alone feel better about yourself afterwards. I know I do.

Keep us posted and stick with it.

Mark

dkn1997

First of all, mark:  thanks.  the words of encouragement are really helping. 

Now let me say what a screwjob that was today!  I didn't handle any of the arrangements.  One of my "ladies" called the place and told them we were coming.  So I get there and oops, it's a women's only class!  I'm actually laughing as I just typed that.  So here I am on the beginning of my journey to fitness and I get turned down by the women's exercise class   :smilielol: :smilielol:

I talked to one of the girls after and she said it was a waste.  She had been into kickboxing at a real dojo a couple of years back and she said this class was a hen fest.  women yapping, instructor joining in on the gossip, etc.. She said that her old dojo was more serious: The sensei would instruct and get on your ass, you had to address him as sensei. I decided that I am going to try to find a place like that. 
RECHRGED

jb666

I studied Jiu-Jitsu for several years.. Best time of my life and gave me many skills I've never left behind..

With that said, I started taking a kickboxing class several months ago and it's a huge difference , from what I was used to... Tons of cardio and an ass kicking that leaves you half dead on the floor..

I love it!!  :cheers: :cheers: You should definitely find a studio.. But find one that's not all about the $$, but one that actually cares about WHO and HOW they teach.. If you want into a studio and , after meeting with the instructor(s), you feel like you walked into a fast food joint, then move on to the next place...

dads_69

That's sad your apparent Sensei was so childish of an instructor. My year old is in Shotokan and loves it. She's very active anyways, what 6 y/o isn't though right? She enjoys karate and is very in tune with it now vs. 1.5 years ago.
I started in M/A at age of 14. Been in many different types of M/A. Sad but I should have a belt in 3 different types of M/A's.
Oh well, at least I have knowledge once again vs. hostility.
Will doing/competing in M/A make you a better person in life etc... etc... I say yes, you'll feel better about yourself, be more observant of things around you. You get my drift I think. Find a better Dojo for sure. Good luck to you man and stick with it.

Mark

Leonidas Rex

I have studied Brazilian Jiu-jitsu, Progressive Kenpo, and Okinawan/Shodokan/Shito-Ryu/Goju-Shorei karate styles. I love the workput. I am trying to finish up my Black Belt in kenpo but cannot find time with the job and 3 kids.

I would say the biggest thing that I would recommend is finding a style that suits your body style and suits your interests. Karate is for some. Tae kwondo may be better suited for others. And still more may like BJJ better. It depends on your strong suit. Take some time to visit a few dojos before you make a choice.

Also, do not get intimidated by taking classes with people that will sometimes be 20 years younger than you. Everyone develops and learns at different rates. Ten years ago my goals were difffeerne tthan they are now so make it your personal journey to acheive a black belt or even just to become healtheir and dont pay attention to others in class' development.

Good luck!

twodko

What everybody else said. Martial Arts training regardless of the discipline is a life style change. Getting the most out of such training besides the physical conditioning is to discipline and know yourself. Its truly great exercise but to fully embrace any MA you must make it a permanent part of your life. Its not like working out on machines 3 times a week.

I'm proud of you bro, stick with it and don't get discouraged.

It is within you to excel grasshopper.

Tom
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

dkn1997

So I found a place that had a web special, 3 lessons and a pair of gloves for 20 bucks.  I went to the first one last monday and I thought I was going to die.  It was 45 minutes with about a 2 minute break, 1/2 was cardio, punching the air and the other half was hitting the bag with a partner. 

I've had experience before doing things like racketball/lifting weights /running where I haven't done it in a long time and went balls to the wall first time out....It always felt ok when I was doing it and even for the rest of the day, but hurt the next day.  This was a whole different animal.  I walked out of the place hobbled and almost threw up in the car on the way home.

I went back for my 2nd class yesterday and I feel much better. same workout too.  I signed up for 35 classes.  The lady who runs the place didn't think a monthly was good for me because i only plan on 2x a week (I'm going to throw in racketball or running in between)  It's pretty expensive, but I paid all at once and it ends up being under 12 bucks a session.  Got a free "uniform" too.  pants I can't pull up past my knees and a shirt, lol.....   

So now to my advice request:  since this is a fitness class, there is no time set aside for any kind of technique.  I guess for most people it's not that important because it's primarily a fitness class.  But I don't see the point in doing the moves wrong.  Truth be told, when he wants us to do combos, i can't remember the order because i'm concentrating on how to do the punch or kick the right way.

Anyone have a decent online resource for just teaching the positoning and footwork for straight punches, hook, uppercut, block, and knees, and kicks?  I'm no ruling out taking a true martial arts class so I think I should be doing these basic things the right way.
RECHRGED

CB

May I ask why you picked out Jui Jitsu?

I practice Chinese temple boxing (Kempo) for +4 years, It's an ancient southern kungfu style , but translated by my teacher to modern real situation fights. He is a trained and respected cop.
The warming ups are sometimes killing. The techniques are sometimes brutal but I love my sport, the team, the entourage. (& the free 'six pack' you get  ;) )

CB
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

dkn1997

Quote from: CB on January 31, 2010, 05:43:44 PM
May I ask why you picked out Jui Jitsu?

I practice Chinese temple boxing (Kempo) for +4 years, It's an ancient southern kungfu style , but translated by my teacher to modern real situation fights. He is a trained and respected cop.
The warming ups are sometimes killing. The techniques are sometimes brutal but I love my sport, the team, the entourage. (& the free 'six pack' you get  ;) )

CB

honestly, this is for getting in better shape.  I picked it because it was close to my house and they felt confident enough to practically give away a few lessons knowing that i'd probably take it further.   I don't even know the differences between the different disciplines so I'm really not qualified to make any choice.  I imagine that this workout I'm doing now will get boring and I will be itching to get more in depth.  At that point I will hopefully be able to make an informed choice.  I will note what you said, it sounds interesting to me. 

and did I read that right?  If i stick with it I get an Entourage? They should put that on the website   :icon_smile_big:
RECHRGED

squeakfinder

When I was a kid, many many years ago I took Akido class's. I wish I would have kept up with it. The first thing they teach is how to fall. Keep your head up when you go down, you don't want to hit your head on the mat, or anything for that matter.
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

dads_69

Akido Dojo is here as well. Only one in the state. I went a few times in 1996 only cause I heard Steven Segal was big into it as well, besides his 6 other Martial Art forums. Well, he showed up here one week, wanted to met him, turns out he was a total asshole, wouldn't even shake hands with any of us, etc... etc...so I bailed on the Akido lessons alltogether.
Yea Segal, if you ever read or here about this comment, you left quite an impression here on your former students.

chargergirl

I believe that of Segal...however Chuck Norris is about as gentle as they come. Met him when I was working at the Hyatt Regency Maui...very unassuming, low key, and polite. Met a bunch of other people too. It was kind of amazing at who had the STAR attitude and who didn't. Cool Points...held Elvis' daughter on my hip and fed the swans with her...she was a sweet kid...and Priscilla...gorgeous and very sweet.
Trust your Woobie!

dkn1997

Update...so it's been a month since I started this and it's going really well.  I lost 17lbs since 1/14 and although I'm not fully up to speed on the workouts, it's getting better.  I decided to go 3x a week so the membership I got will be up in about 2 months.  I may end up doing monthly, but it's 120 bucks a month!  that's a lot for me to absorb and even if it was easy money-wise, its still hard to swallow.  I'd be ok paying 50-75 a month.

I really do like this place.  Martial Arts is the only thing going on there, they have more advanced classes and they are really very nice.  The level of seriousness is right for me too.  Masterpam lets you know the proper technique, but you don't get yelled at.  It's traditional enough without being militant too. Bow to master, entering and leaving the mat, bow to the flag at the end.  It's a really good group of people...nobody looking down on anyone else, etc...

It also doesn't seem like they will be open to a lot of negotiation either. 

Anyway, i'm all fired up!!  I really do like it and I could see taking it further once I'm in better shape.  I'm still 240lbs and i'd like to get down to 200.  I'm only 5'7"  and I'm supposed to be 140-150 if you believe those "ideal weight" body height charts you see all over the place.  I'll give you that I'm a fat bastard, but If I lost 100 more pounds, you could xray me with a 40 watt bulb. 
RECHRGED

dkn1997

26 lbs down and I'm testing for yellow belt this week. I may have a solution to the affordability  problem too....the owner has a pool with deck fountains and waterfalls..and they don't work very well.  My specialty is going in when it was built wrong and making it work, so I may be looking at some sort of discount if Master takes me up on my offer to look at it..
RECHRGED

dads_69

Congrats buddy! I'm back in TKD myself. Long story as to why...
But it's helping me right now get through all the other crap going on in my life as well for now.
Stay strong brother!

Mark

dkn1997

Update...   222 this morning.  That makes 35lbs since 1/14.  I've been going 3x a week, and on my "off days" I have been making sure to do at least 100 pushups and 200 crunches a day, in 4 sets.  Registered for a 5K in june and started running again today.  did 3 miles like it was nothing.  The kickboxing really works your whole body.  I have never had this long a layoff from running and been able to bang out 3 miles the first time. It was actually pretty easy too.  I barely broke a sweat. 

RECHRGED

dkn1997

update.. still going.. but I work has been a bitch and I am down to once a week. I've been supplementing with 3 mile runs when I cant get to class and still eating good,  down 57lbs since January.  I said on march 21 in this thread that i'd like to be 200lbs... well.. I'm there, but now I'm getting greedy and want to lose another 10 and work out more.  check the pics

Before

RECHRGED

dkn1997

after... first one is me screwing around at work wearing some girls's shirt...2nd is me and my boy heading off to my nephews graduation party. 
RECHRGED

CB

1968 Dodge Coronet 500

chargergirl

Aw your son and you look great together! Looking good...not easy losing that kind of weight!
Trust your Woobie!