News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

HELP! My Survivor Charger 1 Damn Deer 0

Started by PocketThunder, June 24, 2010, 08:44:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bakerhillpins

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on June 30, 2010, 11:31:29 PM
:Twocents:

I like the case for preserving originality myself, at least when the car still has much of it.  

There are zillions of over-restored ones.  Past a certain point the nice paint just makes you less comfortable driving the car.  

Well, in this case it seems like originality seems to have the same problem. Don't get me wrong, survivors are very cool and a jem at that, but Paul is going to go through a lot of trouble/expense to keep it that way. He may become more concerned about it loosing its originality to another incident as a result. Maybe not though.
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

PocketThunder

There are nicks and scratches here and there on the car already, and with having 3 little kids under the age of 5, i think i'll wait in the shiney new paint job for about 10 more years.  The car is kept in my seperate detached garage in the backyard, away from bikes and wagons, etc.   but, its easier to accept a scratch in the old original paint vs the new thousands of dollar paint job.   :Twocents:

Paul
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

GPULLER

Quote from: PocketThunder on June 30, 2010, 09:57:42 PM
well, that thought has crossed my mind but then i might not have enough money left over for a '72 Imperial that i really want.

I guess i'll go the route of painting the new hood only and then see how it turns out. 

Paul

Gonna get into demo derbys huh???    :slap:   (I know, I know...just kidding!)

Jake

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on June 30, 2010, 03:04:03 PM
You know something , Paul.... This may not be the 'popular" opinion on this subject...

(My opinion rarely is)

But...

I think I'd throw the whole "Survivor" thing to the wind and take advantage of this opportunity to repaint the whole car and

make it as nice of a paint job as you can afford.

To me the "Survivor" thing screeched to a halt for this car at the split second the deer blood started to splatter on your grille.

agree  :pity:

375instroke

TUFCAT

You know something , Paul.... This may not be the 'popular" opinion on this subject...

(My opinion rarely is)

But...

I think I'd throw the whole "Survivor" thing to the wind and take advantage of this opportunity to repaint the whole car and

To me the "Survivor" thing screeched to a halt for this car at the split second the deer blood started to splatter on your grille.

I also agree. I am repainting my survivor as soon as I can afford a perfect paint job.

Its just not nice enough for me now, and I want a perfect paint job. I can't afford to own two cars...

If someone disagree's with me...I then offer my "Buy Now" price and say  "it's my car, If you don't like it you can buy it and do what you want"!  :icon_smile_wink:

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

TUFCAT

PocketThunder

Quote from: TUFCAT on July 01, 2010, 01:35:26 PM
Quote from: moparstuart on July 01, 2010, 01:07:39 PM
its only original once

True....I realize this is a sticky point. :D 

Ya know, I'm just gonna put the mint condition, original paint green hood that i'm buying on the car and not paint it and take the extra money to the nudy bar!   :boogie: :apimp:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

GPULLER

Quote from: PocketThunder on July 01, 2010, 03:22:38 PM

Ya know, I'm just gonna put the mint condition, original paint green hood that i'm buying on the car and not paint it and take the extra money to the nudy bar!   :boogie: :apimp:

Now were talkin....paints over rated anyway, rattle can the hood and run it!  I'm partial to the "road hard left for dead survivor"  Case in point....

Vainglory, Esq.

its only original once

If you're over by the vu, you're in my neighborhood...

TUFCAT

I'll help you do the math...... (Nudie bar +/-Green Hood = Nudie Bar!)

1969chargerrtse

When I first read this thread and saw " survivor " and the orange color I was gonna ask if it was the original orange paint as that would be so rare as they only made them late in the production run ( I think ). Then I saw you talk about matching the Omaha orange color and I was shocked it was your car. I remember this car well and your love for it. That really sucks. I'm so sorry.

Yesterday I was driving to a friends house when the car in front of me slammend on their brakes. I slammed on mine and slid sideways towards their rear bumper. Just short of Impact I let go of the brakes and controlled steered it into the other lane. If another car was coming my car would be totaled. Man that was close. Good luck with the fixing. Rob.  
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

PocketThunder

Quote from: Vainglory, Esq. on July 01, 2010, 05:06:19 PM
Ya know, I'm just gonna put the mint condition, original paint green hood that i'm buying on the car and not paint it and take the extra money to the nudy bar!   :boogie: :apimp:

If you're over by the vu, you're in my neighborhood...

I'll be at the Basilica Block Party for Weezer next Friday night at 9:00 pm if you want to meet up.   :callme:

moparstuart

its only original once

rust free california car  999 special order paint survior ,  put it back as it is    :Twocents:

jeryst

Quote from: TUFCAT on July 01, 2010, 12:32:51 PM

(My opinion rarely is)

But...

I also agree. I am repainting my survivor as soon as I can afford a perfect paint job.

Its just not nice enough for me now, and I want a perfect paint job. I can't afford to own two cars...

If someone disagree's with me...I then offer my "Buy Now" price and say  "it's my car, If you don't like it you can buy it and do what you want"!  :icon_smile_wink:

Just depends what you want to do with it. If you want to compete in the "Survivor" class at car shows, it cant be repainted.

Bob T

Quote from: PocketThunder on July 01, 2010, 08:20:37 AM
There are nicks and scratches here and there on the car already, and with having 3 little kids under the age of 5, i think i'll wait in the shiney new paint job for about 10 more years.  The car is kept in my seperate detached garage in the backyard, away from bikes and wagons, etc.   but, its easier to accept a scratch in the old original paint vs the new thousands of dollar paint job.   :Twocents:

Paul

Good call, unlucky to have it happen Pocket Thunder , would only have been an extra 10 secs like retying your shoelace and would be a different story. Hope the repair process goes smoothly
And Hey, at least your'e out driving it and getting the fun miles in  :2thumbs:
A chap I know ( albeit not that well ) took his Daytona over to the States from NZ for the last Winged Warrors meetup and drove about 7000 miles while he was there , he took a bit of flak for driving it instead of trailering it but as he said, " I want to drive it" and I applaud that sort of attitude.
Cheers Bob T
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

PocketThunder

Quote from: Bob T on July 02, 2010, 05:43:04 AMGood call, unlucky to have it happen Pocket Thunder , would only have been an extra 10 secs like retying your shoelace and would be a different story. Hope the repair process goes smoothly
And Hey, at least you're out driving it and getting the fun miles in  :2thumbs:

Actually, i was waiting at the stoplight right before i hit the deer and as it was my turn to go thru the intersection the light turned yellow and i had to make a decision to either stop right away and wait for the next green light, or give it a little gas and safely maneuver thru the intersection while the light was still yellow.  I guess i should have waited for the next green light!   :-\

Well, Bob just called from Glen-Ray radiator and my radiator is all done and he's sending it back to me today.  So next week somtime i should get it back in the car and then i can get some estimates from a couple shops. 

The hood that i talked about will be here next weekend and i bought a restored grille with OEM trim from Rod at GSWrestorations.  More updates as they come.

Paul

Jake

Give it a  Flat Black hood treatment.

PocketThunder

Quote from: Jake on July 02, 2010, 10:20:46 AM
Give it a  Flat Black hood treatment.
Better yet i'll just cut a hole in my old hood and take my original intake off and find one of these babies!!  Muwahahahaha  :D

moparstuart

Quote from: PocketThunder on July 02, 2010, 08:39:15 AM
Quote from: Bob T on July 02, 2010, 05:43:04 AMGood call, unlucky to have it happen Pocket Thunder , would only have been an extra 10 secs like retying your shoelace and would be a different story. Hope the repair process goes smoothly
And Hey, at least you're out driving it and getting the fun miles in  :2thumbs:

Actually, i was waiting at the stoplight right before i hit the deer and as it was my turn to go thru the intersection the light turned yellow and i had to make a decision to either stop right away and wait for the next green light, or give it a little gas and safely maneuver thru the intersection while the light was still yellow.  I guess i should have waited for the next green light!   :-\

Well, Bob just called from Glen-Ray radiator and my radiator is all done and he's sending it back to me today.  So next week somtime i should get it back in the car and then i can get some estimates from a couple shops. 

The hood that i talked about will be here next weekend and i bought a restored grille with OEM trim from Rod at GSWrestorations.  More updates as they come.

Paul
:2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

General_01

Glad you are finding the things you need.  :2thumbs:
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

PocketThunder

Well my radiator came back yesterday and i went to two body shops today.  The first one was a regular body shop that mostly does newer cars.  They just threw and estimate together for a repaint the hood and thats about it. 

The second shop i went to tonight is a special mopar performance shop and they looked the car over with me for about and hour and the dilema is once you start painting.... where do you stop?  Tufcat might be right, the next best thing to do is repaint the whole car.

I guess i wanted to avoid this because of the "its only original paint" once saying.  I think its kind of neat to have original paint with 40 years worth of stories to tell.  But, the guys at both shops said its going to be nearly impossible to get a perfect match.  Then once you start painting the whole car where do you stop?  After new paint the trim work will need to be shined up, the door jambs will need to be done, the trunk floor needs to be cleaned up and painted...  Its just a big can of worms. 

Anyways, thats the update for those of you still following along at home.  I guess i'll make a more definite decision next week after talking with my Ins. Company.

Paul

grdprx

That is a tough decision to make!  I can't even offer an opinion, if I were in your shoes.   :scratchchin:
Good luck. 

RallyeMike

QuoteBetter yet i'll just cut a hole in my old hood and take my original intake off and find one of these babies!!  Muwahahahaha  Cheesy

* 385083025_tp.jpg (27.24 KB, 400x300 - viewed 65 times.)

A small block Chevy?!
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/