News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

HELP! My Survivor Charger 1 Damn Deer 0

Started by PocketThunder, June 24, 2010, 08:44:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tan top

Quote from: bakerhillpins on June 28, 2010, 08:59:28 AM
Yea, I though it might be a that too when I looked at the stripes but I thought, Paul? A chevy in the garage? Na...  :hah:

Figured someone was putting their own paint on a 70 runner.

Never really realized how much the lines of those 2 cars share in the back along the top.

crikey never realised that before !! they do look similar
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

PocketThunder

Quote from: bakerhillpins on June 28, 2010, 08:06:15 AM
:'(

Did the hood get pushed back into the cowl or is the damage confined to the front? Hows things going on the insurance front?

Do I spy a red road runner in the garage?  :scope:

The hood did not get pushed back into the cowl.  All the damage is in the front.

Speedee Delivery picked up the radiator this morning already so its on its way back to Glen-Ray for repair.
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

1970Moparmann

It's always hard to see this happen.  I had a thought in my head about this type of accident on the Hot Rod Power Tour.... 

Good thing you reacted the way you did and you didn't go in a ditch or such.....  You'll get it together fast enough.
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

hemi68charger

Quote from: PocketThunder on June 28, 2010, 09:56:45 AM
Speedee Delivery picked up the radiator this morning already so its on its way back to Glen-Ray for repair.

Paul, your radiator will be in very good hands.............. Bob over at Glen Ray is great...........

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

PocketThunder

Quote from: hemi68charger on June 28, 2010, 10:35:25 AM
Quote from: PocketThunder on June 28, 2010, 09:56:45 AM

Paul, your radiator will be in very good hands.............. Bob over at Glen Ray is great...........

Troy

Ya he sure is, i met him at Mopars in the Park a couple weeks ago.
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

375instroke

So how does the insurance company feel about you driving the car to work?  Some policies have a yearly mileage limit, and others don't, but they forbid you from driving it to work.  All the collector car type insurance policies have a locked garage requirement, so that leaves me out.  I have regular insurance, and they say they will pay market value.  Hope I never need to find out.

PocketThunder

Quote from: 375instroke on June 28, 2010, 03:02:48 PM
So how does the insurance company feel about you driving the car to work?  Some policies have a yearly mileage limit, and others don't, but they forbid you from driving it to work.  All the collector car type insurance policies have a locked garage requirement, so that leaves me out.  I have regular insurance, and they say they will pay market value.  Hope I never need to find out.

With Hagerty you can drive it to work, any day of the week, you just need to have another car as your primary driver.  And it needs to be in a locked garage also, which i have.

hemi68charger

Quote from: PocketThunder on June 28, 2010, 03:52:36 PM
Quote from: 375instroke on June 28, 2010, 03:02:48 PM

With Hagerty you can drive it to work, any day of the week, you just need to have another car as your primary driver.  And it needs to be in a locked garage also, which i have.

Paul,, you have mail........ Maybe it'll help?
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

69rtse4spd

Man that just really sucks, that's one reason I striped so many cars back before they repoped anything. That and they were just cars back then, wish I had some of them know though.

PocketThunder

Can anyone help me with the paint code for Omaha Orange?  What manufacturer made this paint back in 1969?   :shruggy:

hemi68charger

Quote from: PocketThunder on June 29, 2010, 01:53:15 PM
Can anyone help me with the paint code for Omaha Orange?  What manufacturer made this paint back in 1969?   :shruggy:

999 Omaha Orange.. Looks like the Ditzler code is 60436?

http://www.tcpglobal.com/autocolorlibrary/aclchip.aspx?image=1969-dodge-pg01.jpg

If not, I can try to get a hold of Tim Wellborn and ask him since his Daytona is a 999 car.........
Troy

WhiteOnGreen

PocketThunder

Thanks. 

I e-mailed the guy selling this Omaha Orange C500 to ask if he has any info on the color also.  He is actualy in town here.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,69573.0.html

My body guy said that the hood is most likely not saveable and he can match the new hood paint to the rest of the car and then buff the whole car so that it blends in better. 

Troy it looks like i will be buying that Creative Industries take-off hood that you found for me.  thanks  :2thumbs:

Paul

hemi68charger

Quote from: PocketThunder on June 29, 2010, 02:30:22 PM
Thanks. 

Troy it looks like i will be buying that Creative Industries take-off hood that you found for me.  thanks  :2thumbs:

Paul

Sweet !!!!   :boogie:
Troy

GPULLER

Quote from: hemi68charger on June 29, 2010, 01:59:43 PM
Quote from: PocketThunder on June 29, 2010, 01:53:15 PM
Can anyone help me with the paint code for Omaha Orange?  What manufacturer made this paint back in 1969?   :shruggy:

999 Omaha Orange.. Looks like the Ditzler code is 60436?

http://www.tcpglobal.com/autocolorlibrary/aclchip.aspx?image=1969-dodge-pg01.jpg

If not, I can try to get a hold of Tim Wellborn and ask him since his Daytona is a 999 car.........

That's what my old Ditzler book says...but no Omaha, just Orange.

Quote from: PocketThunder on June 29, 2010, 02:30:22 PM
Thanks.  

I e-mailed the guy selling this Omaha Orange C500 to ask if he has any info on the color also.  He is actualy in town here.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,69573.0.html

My body guy said that the hood is most likely not saveable and he can match the new hood paint to the rest of the car and then buff the whole car so that it blends in better.  

Troy it looks like i will be buying that Creative Industries take-off hood that you found for me.  thanks  :2thumbs:

Paul

A good painter should be able to tint the color to get the hood to match so no blending has to be done.  I dont think buffing is going to make the paint match better.

Jake

Maybe someone has already meantioned this but you may be better off taking a current paint chip off of your car and having it scanned to match. Your car may very well have faded or? over the years. With this scanned chip most paint stores can produce a very close mixture to what is actually on your car.

Troy

Quote from: Jake on June 30, 2010, 07:14:13 AM
Maybe someone has already meantioned this but you may be better off taking a current paint chip off of your car and having it scanned to match. Your car may very well have faded or? over the years. With this scanned chip most paint stores can produce a very close mixture to what is actually on your car.
*IF* you buy the right paint. The paint store scanned my Barracuda twice and still got me the wrong color. Their excuse: I bought the cheaper paint that didn't have as many tints so they couldn't get the combination exactly right. My response: I never said how much I wanted to pay - only that it had to match as closely as possible. I was very clear and they still screwed it up so my only advice is to drill it into their heads that you need it to match.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

GPULLER

I wouldn't rely on that reading from a paint chip.  Have yet to see one that comes out right, they all will need to be tinted to match the existing color.  Be better off starting with the original paint code and go from there.  It will take a lot of work to get it to match the orange that's on the car, but it can be done.

Aero426

Quote from: Jake on June 30, 2010, 07:14:13 AM

I would tend to agree.   The original Omaha Orange formula is only a start.     A scan of the actual car is intended to give a blendable match.    

No matter what you do, your painter needs to do a test spray out and compare it to the car in natural light.    Some color adjustment may be required by the body shop no matter how hard you try to get the formula correct right out of the can.   The bottom line is to choose a competent painter and let him worry about it.  

I would recommend Bob Lorkowski at L-Cars in Cameron WI.  They are north of Eau Claire.     www.Lcars.com    They cater to this type of work and just repaired a friends 1940 Cadillac that was collision damaged.   They did a beautiful job.

PocketThunder

Quote from: Aero426 on June 30, 2010, 09:48:47 AMI would recommend Bob Lorkowski at L-Cars in Cameron WI.  They are north of Eau Claire.     www.Lcars.com    They cater to this type of work and just repaired a friends 1940 Cadillac that was collision damaged.   They did a beautiful job.

Ya know what, my inlaws live in Rice Lake and are friends with Bob.  We also have a board member here that works there.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=679

Paul

Daytona R/T SE

You know something , Paul.... This may not be the 'popular" opinion on this subject...

(My opinion rarely is)

But...

I think I'd throw the whole "Survivor" thing to the wind and take advantage of this opportunity to repaint the whole car and

make it as nice of a paint job as you can afford.

To me the "Survivor" thing screeched to a halt for this car at the split second the deer blood started to splatter on your grille.

tan top

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on June 30, 2010, 03:04:03 PM
You know something , Paul.... This may not be the 'popular" opinion on this subject...

(My opinion rarely is)

But...

I think I'd throw the whole "Survivor" thing to the wind and take advantage of this opportunity to repaint the whole car and

make it as nice of a paint job as you can afford.

To me the "Survivor" thing screeched to a halt for this car at the split second the deer blood started to splatter on your grille.

yeah more i'm thinking about it !! i think i agree  :yesnod:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

PocketThunder

well, that thought has crossed my mind but then i might not have enough money left over for a '72 Imperial that i really want.

I guess i'll go the route of painting the new hood only and then see how it turns out. 

Paul

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: PocketThunder on June 30, 2010, 09:57:42 PM
that thought has crossed my mind but then i might not have enough money left over for a '72 Imperial that i really want

Well, if you had been making monthly payments on the Imperial all this time, it would be yours by now... :nana:

Mike DC

:Twocents:

I like the case for preserving originality myself, at least when the car still has much of it.  

There are zillions of over-restored ones.  Past a certain point the nice paint just makes you less comfortable driving the car.