News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

HELP! My Survivor Charger 1 Damn Deer 0

Started by PocketThunder, June 24, 2010, 08:44:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aero426

Quote from: PocketThunder on July 07, 2010, 10:48:07 PM

The second shop i went to tonight is a special mopar performance shop and they looked the car over with me for about and hour and the dilema is once you start painting.... where do you stop?  Tufcat might be right, the next best thing to do is repaint the whole car.

The right painter can make the repair work from a color and gloss standpoint.    

This historic Jaguar race car was cleaned up and blended without being completely repainted.  

Charger-Bodie

The paint can be tinted to match Paul. Tinting is a time consuming job that body shops have a hard time getting paid for,but it can be done.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

WINGR

Quote from: PocketThunder on July 07, 2010, 10:48:07 PM
Well my radiator came back yesterday and i went to two body shops today.  The first one was a regular body shop that mostly does newer cars.  They just threw and estimate together for a repaint the hood and thats about it. 

The second shop i went to tonight is a special mopar performance shop and they looked the car over with me for about and hour and the dilema is once you start painting.... where do you stop?  Tufcat might be right, the next best thing to do is repaint the whole car.

I guess i wanted to avoid this because of the "its only original paint" once saying.  I think its kind of neat to have original paint with 40 years worth of stories to tell.  But, the guys at both shops said its going to be nearly impossible to get a perfect match.  Then once you start painting the whole car where do you stop?  After new paint the trim work will need to be shined up, the door jambs will need to be done, the trunk floor needs to be cleaned up and painted...  Its just a big can of worms. 

Anyways, thats the update for those of you still following along at home.  I guess i'll make a more definite decision next week after talking with my Ins. Company.

Paul\

I'm with you Paul, their only original once. If they can get away with doing the hood they should be able to get it pretty darn close. Then you should still fall under the specs allowed by the survivor car gurus.  :Twocents:

Again, sorry about the accident, glad you weren't hurt though.

WINGR/Steve

GPULLER

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on July 08, 2010, 07:01:46 AM
The paint can be tinted to match Paul. Tinting is a time consuming job that body shops have a hard time getting paid for,but it can be done.

:iagree:
Insurance companies don't like to pay for tint, their story is the time is figured in the refinish time...yeah right.
They wont pay for a half an hour to tint the color on a bumper cover so it matches the fenders or quarters.  OK, you wanna pay to blend fenders, qtrs plus all the items that need to be R&I'ed??   :fu:
That color will be easier to tint and match than some of the new tri-coat and colors with lots of pearl.  I would think that the insurance companies dealing in our cars realize that refinish times cant be taken from the estimating system, its gonna take extra time and cash.

tan top

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on July 08, 2010, 07:01:46 AM

yeah  takes time & loads of spray outs ! ask me how i know :icon_smile_blackeye: !!  , but it can be done !! :yesnod: :yesnod:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Vainglory, Esq.

Quote from: PocketThunder on July 01, 2010, 07:01:46 PM
Quote from: Vainglory, Esq. on July 01, 2010, 05:06:19 PM
Ya know, I'm just gonna put the mint condition, original paint green hood that i'm buying on the car and not paint it and take the extra money to the nudy bar!   :boogie: :apimp:

If you're over by the vu, you're in my neighborhood...

I'll be at the Basilica Block Party for Weezer next Friday night at 9:00 pm if you want to meet up.   :callme:

I'm not going to make it to the block party, and I'm probably not going to be around this weekend at all.  But next time for sure.

Also, when I get my Charger up here to MN (soon?  ::)), we should cruise.

PocketThunder

Quote from: Vainglory, Esq. on July 08, 2010, 12:51:35 PM
Ya know, I'm just gonna put the mint condition, original paint green hood that i'm buying on the car and not paint it and take the extra money to the nudy bar!   :boogie: :apimp:

I'll be at the Basilica Block Party for Weezer next Friday night at 9:00 pm if you want to meet up.   :callme:

I'm not going to make it to the block party, and I'm probably not going to be around this weekend at all.  But next time for sure.

Are you staying here (Minneapolis) after you're done with school?
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

69rtse4spd

I am by no means an expert on paint, but think about this, when these cars were built, I am sure that some of them needed paint touch up at the plant. I see this all day long at the plant here, a fender, door, hood, tailgate, side of a bed, & so on. If they get to it right away then the match is good, but that dose not happen all the time. Granted with computers today each batch of paint is for all intent & purposes a dead match. But 40 years ago if they did not get to it right away then the next batch could be off a little. Unless you bought it new & can verify that it was never repainted, even by the factory, then it is only original once, right when it came out of the paint booth. I will all most bet you they never told the customer that the car was damage at the plant & fixed, hell they do not do here & I have seen trucks run onto steel post by summer help. So do the gurus really know, who to say, well just my  :Twocents:, have to fix something now. 

PocketThunder

Quote from: 69rtse4spd on July 08, 2010, 03:42:33 PM
I am by no means an expert on paint, but think about this, when these cars were built, I am sure that some of them needed paint touch up at the plant. I see this all day long at the plant here, a fender, door, hood, tailgate, side of a bed, & so on. If they get to it right away then the match is good, but that dose not happen all the time. Granted with computers today each batch of paint is for all intent & purposes a dead match. But 40 years ago if they did not get to it right away then the next batch could be off a little. Unless you bought it new & can verify that it was never repainted, even by the factory, then it is only original once, right when it came out of the paint booth. I will all most bet you they never told the customer that the car was damage at the plant & fixed, hell they do not do here & I have seen trucks run onto steel post by summer help. So do the gurus really know, who to say, well just my  :Twocents:, have to fix something now. 
Ya know what... when the body guy was looking my car over last night he found a factory run on the rocker panel in the paint below the seam where the drivers door meets the quarter panel.  I said, you guys will reproduce that right?   He looks at me and then we both start laughing..   :lol:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

69rtse4spd

Have them mask it off & feather up to it  :smilielol:. Did you get the spring OK.

PocketThunder

Quote from: 69rtse4spd on July 08, 2010, 05:44:22 PM
Have them mask it off & feather up to it  :smilielol:. Did you get the spring OK.

Yep got it, thanks!   :cheers:

69rtse4spd

Vainglory, Esq.

Quote from: PocketThunder on July 08, 2010, 02:48:36 PM
Quote from: Vainglory, Esq. on July 08, 2010, 12:51:35 PM

Are you staying here (Minneapolis) after you're done with school?

I am done with school, and yes I'm sticking around.  I'm working in the legal department of the large local bank...

PocketThunder

Well i got my 3 estimates back and submitted one today so we'll see what they say.

Paul

bakerhillpins

Quote from: PocketThunder on July 14, 2010, 05:16:11 PM
Well i got my 3 estimates back and submitted one today so we'll see what they say.

Paul

Are they all reasonable?

Good luck!
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

PocketThunder

Quote from: bakerhillpins on July 14, 2010, 06:01:42 PM
Are they all reasonable?

Good luck!

The first one from the local body shop was very low.  The second two from the specialtly muscle car shops were close to each other.  Ok, i'll let you know how it turns out this week i hope.   :yesnod:

moparstuart

Quote from: PocketThunder on July 14, 2010, 08:04:17 PM
Quote from: bakerhillpins on July 14, 2010, 06:01:42 PM
Are they all reasonable?

Good luck!

The first one from the local body shop was very low.  The second two from the specialtly muscle car shops were close to each other.  Ok, i'll let you know how it turns out this week i hope.   :yesnod:
:2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn:   
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

PocketThunder

Insurance Company just called and they approved the estimate..   :2thumbs:

Now time to get to work.

bakerhillpins

Quote from: PocketThunder on July 15, 2010, 10:04:52 AM
Insurance Company just called and they approved the estimate..   :2thumbs:

Now time to get to work.

Cool! I assume they took one of the specialty muscle car shop estimates.

Not long now.  :yesnod:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

moparmoynihan

These things take time. I'm sure the outcome of the total job will meet your expectations. This is why we have insurance. The car was original once, now the damn deer took care of that.  :brickwall: She will be back on the road, better than ever. :Twocents: If you need any trim repair, or the factory grill repaired, you can contact Mark Shank. He is from Indiana and is soooo good at restoring parts like this. He is doing my grill right now. He's awesome. Johnny  :METAL:
b7 1969 Charger 4 speed 440 4:10

PocketThunder

Finally got these off my cell phone.

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

grdprx

:o  Charger blood and deer blood, so sad..

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Back N Black

Quote from: PocketThunder on July 15, 2010, 09:07:04 PM
Finally got these off my cell phone.

No guts, no glory! i bet that would be good on the barbecue.