News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I want to buy the baddest ass sounding Flowmasters I can get, which ones to buy?

Started by 1Bad70Charger, June 23, 2010, 12:14:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1Bad70Charger

Title says it all, my 440 1969 Roadrunner sounds decent with some street model flowmaster mufflers and since the car is not making the power yet that I eventually will build her up to, 500+HP, I at least want her to sound bad to the bone with her 10 to 1 compression motor and cam a little bit bigger than stock (and Heddman Headers that she has).

Somebody was telling me today that flowmaster sells for around $85 a piece from Summit, some small racing 20 series mufflers and he said this would sound bad ass, and through my full exhaust going all the way out the back it will be very aggressive sounding without being TOO obnoxious.

Can anyone recommend what model name Flowmasters to get to get the baddest sound I can get out of a flowmaster muffler for my car that is 100% street driven, but one that I want to sound down right gnarly and nasty (LOUD has never been an issue with me when it comes to my hot rods :D) but no, I don't want to run straight pipe and I don't want to put on exhaust cut outs on her.

What do you guys recommend and please give specific muffler name and model if you have, and yes I am on  a tight budget.

Also, would glass packs (cherry bomb type racing mufflers) sound like crap?

Also, I know for a fact I don't have no 3 inch exhaust system and I bought the car the way it sits 6 months ago and am 99% certain it has the stock exhaust size pipes on it, can anyone confirm the size of the stock exhaust pipes on a 1969 B-Body, so I know to buy the right size mufflers (stock is 2  1/2 inch exhaust pipe right)?

Thanks in advance guys!  :cheers:
48 year old Self Employed Trial Lawyer (I fight the ambulance chasers); 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner A12 Tribute Car, Built 505ci; Silver 2008 Hemi Dodge Challenger SRT8, Black 2006 Corvette Z06 427ci LS7-Keep God First, Family Second and Horsepower Third.  Interests:  God, Fast American Cars (old and new), Classic Muscle Cars, German Sheperds, Guns, Animals and the Great Outdoors (sick of Chicago).

FLG

Around here alot of us might not recommend flowmasters as they are chambered design and though they sound good they limit exhaust flow.

Id say alot of us run dynomax ultra flows, though I run pypes violator series muffler.

Both the pypes and dynomax are a straight thru design and not chambered like the flowbastards.

1Bad70Charger

Quote from: FLG on June 23, 2010, 12:34:41 AM
Around here alot of us might not recommend flowmasters as they are chambered design and though they sound good they limit exhaust flow.

Id say alot of us run dynomax ultra flows, though I run pypes violator series muffler.

Both the pypes and dynomax are a straight thru design and not chambered like the flowbastards.

Very interesting and thank you.   I want a bad to the bone sounding mufflers and if it gets me a couple extra ponies all the better.  :2thumbs:

Will the dynomax ultra flows or pypes violater series muffler sound more aggressive and gnarly then say the flowmaster racing muffler like the one below in summit catalog?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FLO-325108/

I just jumped on Summit and see that that they sell dynomax mufflers and these racing mufflers (if you want to call them mufflers  ;) might be just what the Doctor ordered.  What ya guys think?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WLK-24215/

48 year old Self Employed Trial Lawyer (I fight the ambulance chasers); 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner A12 Tribute Car, Built 505ci; Silver 2008 Hemi Dodge Challenger SRT8, Black 2006 Corvette Z06 427ci LS7-Keep God First, Family Second and Horsepower Third.  Interests:  God, Fast American Cars (old and new), Classic Muscle Cars, German Sheperds, Guns, Animals and the Great Outdoors (sick of Chicago).

greenpigs

I use the ultra flo's and they have a deep sound at least to me. As far as loud it is more or less a straight shot though the muffler and will make some noise. do a google and you may change your mind on the flomasterbaters.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

Cooter

You need what's typically called the "One Chambers"...They are only half the length of the typical Flowmaster and LOUD AS HELL...These are a RACE ONLY muffler...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

SRT-440

If loud and straight thru design is what u want...get some Cherry Bomb mufflers the glasspacks are loud and make good power..their Ultra series is good too.  :2thumbs:
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog..."

2012 SRT8 392 Challenger (SOLD)
2004 Dodge Stage 1 SRT-4 (SOLD)
1970 Plymouth Road Runner Clone w/6.1 HEMI (SOLD)
1971 Dodge Dart w/440 (SOLD)
1985 Buick Grand National w/'87 swap and big turbo (SOLD)

1Bad70Charger

Quote from: Cooter on June 23, 2010, 05:52:16 AM
You need what's typically called the "One Chambers"...They are only half the length of the typical Flowmaster and LOUD AS HELL...These are a RACE ONLY muffler...

Cooter,

Yeah, that's what I am looking for can you recommend a particular brand and exact name of the race only  muffler. Would it by the dynomax racing muffler I post a link to below from Summit Racing (anyone).

Also, for the one poster, what Cherry Bomb/glass pack brand muffler do you recommend (dynomax)?

Thanks for everyone's input I need some  AGGRESSIVE SOUND to go with the LOOK!  :cheers:

68X426

You have to consider exhaust cut-outs, budget or no budget. The statement made is worth the cost in my estimation. I have Dynomax Ultra and 3" for everyday and then open the cut-outs for fun. It is what you really need, so sell a kidney and do it. :yesnod:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

SRT-440

Follow the link below..it's the red muffler made by the company Cherry Bomb. Sounds loud and old school..it's what I'm gonna be running on my RR. U can buy them thru Summit, Jegs...etc.  :2thumbs:

http://www.cherrybomb.com/products/glasspack
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog..."

2012 SRT8 392 Challenger (SOLD)
2004 Dodge Stage 1 SRT-4 (SOLD)
1970 Plymouth Road Runner Clone w/6.1 HEMI (SOLD)
1971 Dodge Dart w/440 (SOLD)
1985 Buick Grand National w/'87 swap and big turbo (SOLD)

1Bad70Charger

Quote from: SRT-440 on June 23, 2010, 01:08:06 PM
Follow the link below..it's the red muffler made by the company Cherry Bomb. Sounds loud and old school..it's what I'm gonna be running on my RR. U can buy them thru Summit, Jegs...etc.  :2thumbs:

http://www.cherrybomb.com/products/glasspack

Thanks Bro, I appreciate it.

Can you or anyone else let me know what you believe will sound better and more old school bad ass in your face Mopar Muscle, the Cherry Bomb mufflers referenced above or the Dynomax Racing Muffler below:

Yeah, that's what I am looking for can you recommend a particular brand and exact name of the race only  muffler. Would it by the dynomax racing muffler I post a link to below from Summit Racing (anyone).  Also, I would imagine any minimal horsepower/torque gains from these 2 options would be about the same?

Thanks in advance guys.

Brass

Whatever you get, go with the shortest version.  I have ultra flo's on my car and I like the sound.  They are the round style (not the oval ones) and are supposed to be a little louder.

If you go with glass packs, you might consider getting a 3" inlet (or as large as they come) and using an adapter.  Although they are a straight through design, I think the internal channel narrows down.  If you want to be really loud, have them installed backwards and dump them at the axles.  You'll rattle windows from blocks away, so be prepared for neighbors wielding torches and pitchforks.

Brock Samson

I'm thinking a great sounding exhaust is the result of a total package and all the elements of your drivetrain should be chosen with care, not just to sound "baddest ass". you might want to go on You Tube and listen to some folks exhaust tones to see, what they're getting,.. but again Bad Assedness and tight budget is not a good way to start...
 Forget the cherrybombs and old school glasspacks that's from a much older simpler time...
an engine is simply put an Air Pump and getting air in and out in an efficent manner is the goal, that by it's self is gonna make for a great sound.
  If your wanting to simply annoy people,  well,..  that's another conversation.

BBKNARF

There is also DNA Mufflers (Direct Natural Airflow) great sounding muffler.
www.dnamufflers.com
68 Charger, slowly in the works, 451 c.i. approx. 535 hp @ the flywheel, so far best time in the 1/4
11.21 @ 119 mph, full exhaust, stock suspension, 4:10s @ 3640 pounds.

1Bad70Charger

Thanks for your feedback guys. I decided today and pulled the Trigger on some Dynomax Bullet Race Mufflers (went with the 23 inch long Bullet Mufflers instead of the 16.5 inch Dynomax Bullet Mufflers) which should give my car that extra sound I'm looking for and a more free flowing exhaust and exhaust note, versus the 2 chamber street Flowmasters on the car now.

Here is what I bought I think they will suffice for what I'm looking for.   For a really aggressive classic 60s muscle car exhaust note and free flowing exhaust, let me know if you think I would have been better off going with a regular (non-bullet) single chamber Dynomax or Flowmaster Muffler instead of this Dynomax Racing Bullet Muffler (that looks similar to a glass pack), as I still have time to change my order this morning.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WLK-24236/

Thanks for everyone's feedback, I appreciate it!  :cheers:

Ghoste

I think you will be happy with them.  The sound will definitely be aggressive.

1Bad70Charger

jeryst

Do they still make Thrush muffler?

Seemed like everyone ran them back in the day.

1Bad70Charger

Quote from: Ghoste on June 24, 2010, 08:20:11 AM
I think you will be happy with them.  The sound will definitely be aggressive.

Ghoste your right on bro, just put them on (3" Dynomax Bullet Racing Mufflers), went for a few power blasts and I love them (pretty  much what I was looking for).  Thanks for everyone's input here I appreciate it.   :cheers:

They are deeper sounding, louder, and considerably more in your face classic 60s big block aggressive muscle car sound at WOT, than what turned out to be fairly aggressive style Flowmaster Street Mufflers that were on the car.

If anyone is interested in this same exhaust that I went with 23" Dynomax Bullet Racing Mufflers, they are only $51 a piece from Summit Racing and if you go on Dynomax website they do have sound bites of this Racing Muffler.

For anyone who might be interested I give them a big  :2thumbs: up here they are:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WLK-24236/

werner

1969 dodeg charger, 528 hemi ,Tko 5spd.

twodko

For me and my 69 the best, knarliest, badassedness old school sound is the stock R/T exhaust system. IMO there is nothing more satisfying than the natural stock sound of a big block mopar breathing through the system designed for it. Its your car so I'm glad you've found the sound you're after! Rock on man.

Tom
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

1Bad70Charger

Quote from: werner on July 29, 2010, 03:45:07 PM
Did you get your mufflers installed ? How do they sound ?

See my post #17 right above yours for my complete feedback on how the dynomax racing bullet mufflers I installed sound on my 69 Roadrunner A12 6-Pack Tribute Car (they sound bad ass)!  :cheers:

TylerCharger69

Series 40 Flowmasters.....really aggressive sounding  Im using  PN 42541  2 1/2 inch  in and out  with an offset

HOTROD

What the Hell-Dumass !

werner

Sounds beautiful. Whats in that for a camshaft ? Have Dynomax Ultraflows on my 528 hemi but still doesnt sound anything like that.Nothing beats the ouns of series 40's
1969 dodeg charger, 528 hemi ,Tko 5spd.

1Bad70Charger

Quote from: Lennard on September 16, 2010, 12:03:36 AM
My Charger with 40 Series Flowmasters.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uW0dJyMKsU

Bad ass dude sounds great!!!!  :cheers:

How many cubes you running and how big is your bump stick (solid roller or?)  :2thumbs:

CB

Quote from: Brock Samson on June 23, 2010, 05:46:29 PM
I'm thinking a great sounding exhaust is the result of a total package and all the elements of your drivetrain should be chosen with care, not just to sound "baddest ass". you might want to go on You Tube and listen to some folks exhaust tones to see, what they're getting,.. but again Bad Assedness and tight budget is not a good way to start...
 Forget the cherrybombs and old school glasspacks that's from a much older simpler time...
an engine is simply put an Air Pump and getting air in and out in an efficent manner is the goal, that by it's self is gonna make for a great sound.
 If your wanting to simply annoy people,  well,..  that's another conversation.

Agreed, it's the total package. A guy posted a clip of his 69R/T on Youtube, it sounds wicked. I asked for the 'package' and he responded (to me quite surprisingly) : Stock 440 with headers, 750 CFM Holley Carb and an Edelbrock Performer RPM intake. The line is 2 1/2'' with Magnaflow mufflers.
Headers, 2.5 pipes and a good flow muffler will bring the right sound :Twocents:

And Brock, ain't you the guy that sets off car alarms since...what 1984?  :D
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

Ex President

Mine.... 3" with single chambers...  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97fLkTO9f2Y

I apologize for the poor quality, and the moron with the voicemail at the end.  :2thumbs:

tan top

Quote from: Ex President on October 24, 2010, 03:21:07 AM
Mine.... 3" with single chambers...  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97fLkTO9f2Y

I apologize for the poor quality, and the moron with the voicemail at the end.  :2thumbs:

:coolgleamA:   any more pictures of your charger dude ??  would love to see them sometime !!   :popcrn:   :2thumbs:  !! i spy a nice set of slotmags :drool5: :coolgleamA:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Ex President

This is the only one I have handy... I'll dig some more up and post em when I can.

jpsycoboy5

Flowmasters patent on the 40 expired now the thrush welded muffler is supposedly the same design
1973 dodge charger se was 318 in process of swapping in 440

greenpigs

I guarantee we see some Chinese imports soon on Ebay. Why would they let the patent expire unless they think the design is subpar...now?
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

jpsycoboy5

I have no idea but the thrush welded muffler sounds and looks exactly like the flowmaster 40 all of my buddies were talking bout how the patent expired
1973 dodge charger se was 318 in process of swapping in 440

bullitt68dodgecharger

in my younger days i liked the old round,purple/white thrush kinda deep until certain rpm then it sounded real good the smithys or patriots favor em a lot wonder if sound is similar?

HOTROD

Quote from: jpsycoboy5 on October 26, 2010, 06:36:24 PM
I have no idea but the thrush welded muffler sounds and looks exactly like the flowmaster 40 all of my buddies were talking bout how the patent expired

Bulshit ! :slap:
What the Hell-Dumass !