News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Superbird Fender Tag - row 2 questions.

Started by Arnie Cunningham, June 18, 2010, 01:16:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arnie Cunningham

Greetings all,

As long as the fender tag, second to top row subject is on the table, I guess this is as good a time to ask questions as any.

The first set of three digits in the second from top row of the Superbird fender tags is the engine designation.  There are six different sets of numbers to be found depending upon the engine/transmission combination of the car.  They are as follows (I think):

#### 112   426 Hemi 4 speed
#### 113   426 Hemi Auto

#### 114   440-4 barrel 4 speed
#### 115   440-4 barrel Auto

#### 122   440-6 barrel 4 speed
#### 123   440-6 barrel Auto

If these three digits were the last part of a Mopar part number, what was the 4 digit prefix (the #### part)?

I understand that these numbers probably denoted an Engine assembly complete with bellhousing or flexplate depending upon whether it was destined for a manual or auto transmission.  With that in mind, were these really just "internal" Mopar numbers?  Could you actually order an engine assembly with all the transmission specific components attached?

Just curious,
Thanks,
Brennan
Brennan R. Cook RM23U0A169492 EV2 Manual Black Buckets Armrest 14" Rallyes
Arnie Cunningham was the Plymouth obsessed youth in the novel/movie Christine.
Brcook.com contains the entire NASCAR shipping list of Superbirds sorted by VIN and a number of other pages dedicated to production information.

Alaskan_TA

Different carburetors (& maybe cams too?) for autos vs. manual engines, so different assembly numbers.

Pilot bushing needed for the stick cars too.

hemigeno

Quote from: Arnie Cunningham on June 18, 2010, 01:16:57 PM
With that in mind, were these really just "internal" Mopar numbers? 

Yes, they were internal Mopar numbers, really intended for use on the assembly line only.  The line worker had a part number for EVERYTHING they installed on or in the cars, and an engine assembly was no different.  Wherever the engine was dressed out (not sure if that was the engine plant or the final assembly plant), they would have followed certain steps for each separate engine part number... if it had a different number, there was some -- perhaps very small, perhaps major -- difference.

Could you actually order an engine assembly with all the transmission specific components attached?

I don't think a guy could have walked into a dealership and ordered up a complete engine assembly through the assembly number... although I was 3 years old in 1969 and never tried it myself   :P

hemigeno

If these three digits were the last part of a Mopar part number, what was the 4 digit prefix (the #### part)?

Galen's little books state that the four digit prefix in 1970 was 3418.  I can't confirm that he's either right or wrong, but know for a fact that the 1969 engine assembly prefix is 2946.

69CoronetRT

Quote from: hemigeno on June 21, 2010, 06:22:08 PM

I don't think a guy could have walked into a dealership and ordered up a complete engine assembly through the assembly number...

You could order short blocks and/or other components by PN but I don't know why you'd want to order an entire engine assembly like was installed at the factory. Let's say you blew up the bottom end of a car. You wouldn't need new exhaust manifolds, intake manifold, carb, fuel pump, heads, or any accessories that would have come on the plant assembly.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

Alaskan_TA

I wonder how Jensen did it for the Interceptor.  :scratchchin:

Alaskan_TA

Check the newest addition at the bottom of the page at the link below just for giggles;

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/photos-va-4b.shtml

hemigeno

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on June 21, 2010, 10:48:57 PM
Check the newest addition at the bottom of the page

Wouldn't that be yet another part/assembly number, since it has a transmission attached  :scratchchin:

Oh, and I'll take two, please!

Arnie Cunningham

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on June 21, 2010, 10:48:57 PM
Check the newest addition at the bottom of the page at the link below just for giggles;

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/photos-va-4b.shtml

Wow!  A complete new HP powertrain for $1250.  "4 barrel carb" price....  I wonder if you could pay an extra $100 and get a six pack?
Brennan R. Cook RM23U0A169492 EV2 Manual Black Buckets Armrest 14" Rallyes
Arnie Cunningham was the Plymouth obsessed youth in the novel/movie Christine.
Brcook.com contains the entire NASCAR shipping list of Superbirds sorted by VIN and a number of other pages dedicated to production information.

UFO

That ad wouldn't be from Mr Norm's would it?
Maybe getting rid of the extra motors that didn't make into the Dart GSS program.

Alaskan_TA

Norm was in Chicago, the ad says Detroit.  :shruggy:

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701