News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Charger going tommorow

Started by 41husk, June 21, 2010, 05:14:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68r/t

Quote from: charger Downunder on June 23, 2010, 04:19:21 AM
I cant wait to see the new car looks good George.
Right hook each to there own.
My conversion which was done in 1970 still looks good.

Your Charger is one the few that looks good with the dash being done nicely,  I have seen them with Aussie Charger dashes and it looks terrible in my opinion.

Quote from: mikesbbody on June 23, 2010, 02:40:02 AM
So your telling me the designers, engineers etc at Chrysler got it wrong by putting the S.W on the left hand side? and all along it should have been on the RHS? gimme a break! if it were a FACTORY RHD Charger then leave it as is "if it aint broke, don't fix it" and to compare a RHD conversion to a pro tourer pro street, or anything else for that matter are 2 completely different things.
At the end of the day whatever someone does to their car I don't care because it's their car I just strongly disagree with conversions and that wont change.
I am sure this Charger will go to a good home and hopefully remain LHD or at least I hope so.

When I was looking at Chargers in Australia I would not even consider it if it was RHD , They have  a huge drop in value and only the people that really want RHD buy them and some are just nasty the way they are done.
When I go to a show and see a RHD Charger I just think "What a Shame"

dodgey68

Quote from: doctor4766 on June 21, 2010, 05:50:24 PM
Wow looks the goods mate.
Perfect car for roo shooting! Would do some nice circle work in the paddocks too  :smilielol:

Nahhhh..
I'm sure she'll be well taken care of.

Ha pissa, and fit a 5 post bull bar and do the B&S tours with it.. :smilielol: :smilielol:
sweet another one to admire when it gets here,,,
when all you own is a hammer, every job  resembles a nail.

Vainglory, Esq.

Quoteif it came down to owning a mint RHD American car, or none at all I would chose none at all and I know I'm not alone.

Ummm, pretty sure you are alone there, actually.

PocketThunder

How about making it center drive then both sides can argue about nothing!   :icon_smile_big:

Congrats on your next Charger George and i feel for you guys overseas who have to shell out a ton of money for a car and then you have to wait 3,4,5,6 months before you even get it!   :-\

Paul
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

mikesbbody

Quote from: Vainglory, Esq. on June 23, 2010, 11:32:52 AM
Quoteif it came down to owning a mint RHD American car, or none at all I would chose none at all and I know I'm not alone.

Ummm, pretty sure you are alone there, actually.

Not at all, I have a Friend with a mint 69 Coronet he bought it in Aus and brought it to NZ. The guy who looked at it before him (a German Man) turned it down because it was RHD my Friend bought it because it was cheap ended up bringing it back to NZ tried to sell it and cant. He wont take it to shows because it's RHD he even said if he ever gets another (Coronet) the one he has will be a parts car. Another car (73 SE Charger) came into the Country back in the early 70's it was converted to RHD I saw it about 7 years ago and the guy who owned it then converted back to LHD (a step in the right direction) there's a 70 Challenger for sale the guy can't get any bites because it's been converted to RHD...and so on. Most of the American car's here that are RHD are things like 4 door Chevy Impala's, 56/57 Chevy's nothing too exotic but I know over the years the process has been very sketcy in some cases even dangerous! I have heard of "chain driven" conversions where the steering box remained on the left side but the wheel was moved to the right! problems with Manifolds/Headers fitting etc. Now if the Charger was assembled in the USA RHD for export, I'd have no problem with it Like Doc said, if you find any differculty driving a LHD car then you shouldn't own one! stick with a RHD car. I don't know the rules in Aus, but here in NZ anything older than 20 years can stay LHD so we get a lot of late model pick ups that are converted there are ways around that rule. One way is you have to live in the USA for 3 months? with the car under your name before shipping it back. I believe there are 3? new Challengers here I think 2 have been converted to RHD (what a shame) the other I know the owner who once had 5 70 Challengers he REFUSED to change his new Challenger to RHD so he lived in the USA for 3 months before shipping it back.
But like I said before I really don't care what others do to their cars since I have nothing to do with them and I'm not the one that will have a hard time selling them when the time comes.  :Twocents:

G-man

Mikes, you are right up to a point. What i compared is totaly different to just sticking a steering wheel on the other side. However 'as factory made it' means no mods are alowed otherwise you have  gone from factory, irrelivant whether it was steering wheel, wheels, dash, seats, custom engine bay or whatever.

On the other hand, they were made LHD in america because they drive on the right side of the road, thats why there all made LHD. This is why all cars in AU are made RHD because we drive on left hand side. Why did the designers and governments etc choose to do it that way? The safest spot to sit on the road with the most vision around bends etc for safety is sitting closest to the middle, that is why when u drive on right side u have LHD (America) and when you drive on left side you have RHD (Australia). So going by that, if the dodge charger was made in AUS it would have been made RHD. America made them LHD for their driving conditions not because thats how it was 'meant' to be 'period'.

So for someone to go RHD in AU is only doing what teh factory would have done itself had it been here to meet the driving here.

Im not converting mine so dont worry. I dont see the sense in 10000 being spent for change of steering wheel

Darkman

I just want to clarify a few things about my arguement with RHD conversion. I agree that converting it will "devalue" the car in comparison to a LHD car. However, it will only devalue the car if you plan on selling it down the track. It can be a lot of work and expensive to do the conversion so it is a big commitment. I would not commit to such a big job just to sell it later on, so the value of the car means nothing to me or any body else for that matter. I am purchasing this type of car over an Aussie built muscle car for several reasons, but I want to drive it every weekend and enter it in the occasional car show (not to win or have the "correct" car, but to share what I have with other motoring enthusiasts). I have a friend that has a 69 Camaro (very nice considering) that is LHD and he hates driving around as he has nearly side swiped other cars.

I would also like to apologise to "you Americans" if I offended you with that comment (for some reason I thought mikesbbody was from the US, maybe it was the way he expressed his passion for these cars), I was just pissed at being called a complete idiot.

Mikesbbody, as for the comment of would I convert a classic Aussie car to LHD, why would I do that? I live in a country that drives RHD. Guys from the US love the Mad Max Interceptor (IMO I think it is a POS - they took a perfectly nice car and put all that crap on it, but each to their own) and if they wanted one and wanted to convert it to LHD, I would have no problem with that it is their car. I understand that this is a public forum and people are entitled to their opinions, but come on, why insult somebody? There are cars here that I like and I will comment on, but there are also cars that I do not like. I keep those comments to myself (or just ignore that thread). I don't think attacking or insulting somebody about what they want to do to their car is the right way to go about it (IMO).

Sorry for the hijack! George, you have yourself a very nice car!  I just wish I could have bought your red one from you! Best of luck with them.
Make it idiot proof, and somebody will make a better idiot!

If you think Education is difficult, try being stupid!

Laxy

I would be too scared to buy any US mopar converted to RHD unless it was absolute deal of the century. The car is only original once and who knows what dodgy work could have gone into the conversion. It's enough of a worry just working out what dodgy work has gone into the body and mechanicals! I too have seen a few Challengers and Cudas over here with RHD conversions using aussie valiant dashboards etc - it's a real shame. I have no problem driving LHD in Aus, only annoying thing is carpark ticket machines if you don't have a passenger!!

Paying someone thousands of dollars to convert a classic muscle car to RHD just blows my mind. Reminds of some clown that converted his RHD Valiant to LHD cos he thought it would give him better weight distribution at the track. Not sure if the car ever made it out of the shed.

Awesome looking 68 by the way, exactly the sort of car I was after before I found mine. Actually a lot better. haha!!

71 Valiant VH Hardtop 265 Hemi 4-speed, 71 VH Valiant Charger R/T Replica 360 4-speed, 68 Dodge Charger 440/727.

mikesbbody

Darkman, I believe it was YOU that called me a "Tosser" I simply said "only a complete idiot would do that" had I said "Darkman" or anyone for that matter then I'd agree with you 100% but I did not it was you that threw the first verbal punch and I'm not the type to sit there and take it. I do apologise if I offended you as a individual but I still will never see the point in conversions.
If I am correct, there are a few Aussie Mopars in the USA and I have never heard of any being converted.
As a Kiwi, when we think of "American cars" (classics) we think: 1. Big Gas guzzlers (I mean that in a GOOD way LOL) and...(because we drive on the other side) the steering wheel is on the "other" side THAT is what a American car is even to a non Enthusiast. As mentioned a car is only original once and no, mine is not (has a different motor, rear end) but the wheel remains where it is and always will.
Anyway, this is the last time I will check into this thread I didn't mean to offend anyone but I make no apologies for saying what I feel and Darkman, don't take this  :stirthepot: so seriously!

G-man

Quote from: Laxy on June 23, 2010, 11:49:54 PM

Reminds of some clown that converted his RHD Valiant to LHD cos he thought it would give him better weight distribution at the track. Not sure if the car ever made it out of the shed.

:smilielol:

And thanks for the comment on my car :D, I still thank Allen from the bottom of my heart for the care and time he put into helping me out with photos and with the price above all things.  :cheers:

41husk

No problem George.  I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.  How long will it take to get to Australia?  The guy who picked it up said he was dropping it off in Colorodo.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

G-man

I think its 17 days on water once it leaves LA. So should be here within next 2 months. Dropping of Colorado? Maybe they switch trucks?

Darkman

Mine could be on the same boat George  ;). I just got word that an offer we placed on a 68 Charger was accepted...now for all the paperwork  :brickwall:

41husk

Good luck to both of you!  If the Daytona had not came up for sale I would have never sold the 68.  As for the price, That is the very bottom dollar I had to have to get the Daytona.  I would have never sold it that low if lLarry had not had the Daytona so reasonable.
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

G-man

Thanks Larry and the Daytona for getting Allen to sell Charger  :icon_smile_blackeye:

d/ur/t

Quote from: MOsman82 on June 21, 2010, 10:47:51 PM
Very nice looking car that any Aussie enthusiast would be proud of.

Planning on taking my own 68 back to Australia (QLD) in about 6 months.

Has anyone had any problems getting their car back into (or registered in) Australia? Any recommendations/advice?

I'm in the middle of the restoration so, chances are, the car won't be finished (maybe not even running) by the time it comes to ship off to AUS. Will this be a problem?

My car is non numbers matching - problem?

Aussie members, please let me know your experiences.

Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks

I wouldn't wory bout bringing one in I know a guy who has a numbers R/T for cheap with all the rust done and it's in QLD.lol check the avitar

dodgey68

I wouldn't wory bout bringing one in I know a guy who has a numbers R/T for cheap with all the rust done and it's in QLD.lol check the avitar
[/quote]

may i cut in ,
was that 70 r/t in gipsland in victoria gettin work done before owner took it home to qld
when all you own is a hammer, every job  resembles a nail.

41husk

Here is a picture of the car leaving for the west coast.
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

41husk

one more.
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

G-man

wow that car really does look good :drool5:

41husk

The brakes were squeeling a bit when he loaded it.  It may be from sitting so long, just before I you bought it I replaced the master cylinder and the brakes were fine.  The transport guy sure like loading it.  one more picture of her going on the trailor.
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

doctor4766

Looks like a good "launch" position.
I'll bet he was tempted
Gotta love a '69

41husk

I think he was a bit nervouse :shruggy:
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

Darkman

I don't blame him! The last thing you would want to do is damage that gorgeous car!