News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

question about clearcoat

Started by dodgeboy67, June 19, 2010, 06:16:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dodgeboy67

if i have a paint job that is decent for the most part, just a few minor scuffs that could be buffed out, could i just scuff the whole truck and reclear? i was thinking of putting a tail stripe on while i was doing it. i worked in a body shop about 10 years ago, and i know you can blend a partially repaired panel like this. but im not sure about the whole vehicle. i just want to freshen up the look and add a few detail stripes.

Silver R/T

what kind of paint is on there? base/clear, single stage?
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

dodgeboy67

base clear.....guess i should have said that....oops

Silver R/T

I would wet sand whole vehicle and you should be good to go. Don't sand through though as it will lift in spots where you sanded through.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

dodgeboy67

what grit?, and thanx for your input.

Cooter

Begin with around 1500 Grit and move on up 2000, then 2500, then buff out...If any scratches can't be taken out with the mentioned grits, you need a repaint in those areas, which prolly means a total repaint...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

elitecustombody

Scuff-Stuff works very well, making the surface nicely scuffed and uniform ,on dark colors I'd use gray scuff pad,before the clear, shoot one coat of adhesion promoter just to safe :Twocents:

AMD-Auto Metal Direct  Distributor, email me for all your shetmetal needs

Stefan

dodgeboy67

thanx for al of the input.....