News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Smokey And The Bandit remake in the works

Started by TruckDriver, June 21, 2010, 06:40:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TruckDriver

From what I have heard of it, it sounds like a disgrace of the original. :icon_smile_dissapprove:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/08q2/five_future_mustangs_we_d_like_to_see-feature/five_future_mustangs_we_e2_80_99d_like_to_see_page_5

As far as I am concerned, you will NEVER be able to replace Burt Reynolds, Sally Field, Jackie Gleason and even Jerry Reed. Especially Jackie Gleason! And why not use a Trans Am instead of a Mustang. GM made a zillion of them, and their are still plenty just sitting and not being restored.

And for what it is worth, I can't stand Jack Black :-P

"Recent discussions of a Smokey and the Bandit remake have centered on having the new Bandit (said to be played by Jack Black)"

EDIT; I just found this link about it too. Doesn't even sound like it will be based on the same story line.

http://www.cinematical.com/2009/01/13/craig-brewer-remaking-smokey-and-the-bandit/
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

chargerboy69

This is one movie that should be off limits to anyone.  There is no improving this film it is perfect they way it was made.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

Cooter

Yep, and now it looks like "Christine" isn't off limits to the Hollywood idiots either...This time around, they will be using a Buick Grand National as "Christine"? WTF? With CGI these days, it shouldn't be too hard to scan a real 1958 Plymouth....Again, WTF?
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

moparstuart

Quote from: Cooter on June 21, 2010, 11:11:19 AM
Yep, and now it looks like "Christine" isn't off limits to the Hollywood idiots either...This time around, they will be using a Buick Grand National as "Christine"? WTF? With CGI these days, it shouldn't be too hard to scan a real 1958 Plymouth....Again, WTF?
that is very sad    :RantExplode: :RantExplode: :RantExplode: :RantExplode: :RantExplode:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Hemidog

Hollywood  :rotz:

Nothing is sacred, and I've heard that the new a-team movie was a craptacular...

BrianShaughnessy

Ugh.    ::)

While 2nd gen TA's are available,   they aren't any 5th gen's being built new...   which of course would lead to product placement opportuinities   aka: CASH for the producers.   Maybe ford is just trying harder.

Now why they weren't willing to use a Craparo instead I dunno...       I do know the new mudstain has a mirror roof option tho....   instead of the  TA's T-tops   :icon_smile_question:

Anyway,   no I won't be waiting on this.    I'm not too big on any of these remakes.   Most of them suck. 
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

greenpigs

Jack Black is the only saving grace, but still he should have passed.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

69 OUR/TEA

Quote from: Cooter on June 21, 2010, 11:11:19 AM

They're remaking Christine?????Or making a continuation of it,meaning the "soul" of the car gets brought back into another make/model cause that could be understandable to not use a 58 Fury and use something else more readily available,as GN's could be cloned from 81-87 Buick Regals.
Do you remember the GN commercial back in the day,I do, have a copy on VHS.Rolls to the music of George Thorouhgood "Bad to the bone".Hmmmmmm coincidence??????
Sounds good to me!!!!!Heck,I would already have the car with no cloning involved.

69bronzeT5

Quote from: chargerboy69 on June 21, 2010, 07:05:19 AM
This is one movie that should be off limits to anyone.  There is no improving this film it is perfect they way it was made.

:iagree: 1000%!!!
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

bakerhillpins

One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Khyron

can you imaging what the political correctness is going to do to this movie???

best line ever......."boy, when i get home I'm gonna punch yer momma right in the mouth!"

LMFAO!

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

MoparManJim

All I can think and say right now is "Ohhh boy"  :shruggy:   

Hemidog

Quote from: Khyron on June 22, 2010, 12:28:15 AM
can you imaging what the political correctness is going to do to this movie???

best line ever......."boy, when i get home I'm gonna punch yer momma right in the mouth!"

LMFAO!

:rofl: :hah:

69 OUR/TEA

As for the Smokey and the Bandit remake,I agree,this would never touch the orig.As far as a Christine remake,same thing,the orig rules.I did some surfing on it,but can't come up with any info if it is a remake,or a continuation of the first,cause that would'nt be like you're remaking,just continuing on.

694spdRT

Well, the 2nd and 3rd movies sucked so why not a 4th.  ::)

The original is a classic and my favorite movie of all time. When I restored my '77 SE I must have watched it 50 times to get details right.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

Mike DC

If they remake "Bandit" it won't be the same movie.  Modern Hollywood only understands the Bandit as a fully-caricatured joke, not as a genuinely cool character to wanna be.  Casting Jack Black just proves my point.  

I'm surprised they took this long to start talking about a "Christine" remake.  It doesn't need to be the same movie, but just the concept of a posessed car slaughtering teenagers is way overdue on their schedule of stuff to be remade.  Love it or hate it but the commercial viability of the concept is obvious.  

They're complete utter morons if they don't use some kind of truck/SUV this time.   A new "Christine" vehicle will never come off as menacing enough when 2/3rds of the audience arrived at the theater in vehicles much larger & taller & heavier than she is.

Todd Wilson

Cooter

Continuation, remake, Whatever, Christine as anything other than a 1958 Plymouth is like Ford Festiva as the General Lee....It just don't work....But, I guess there will be alot of happy Folks over on the GN sites when the value of their cars goes up ten fold overnight....Same thing with the SATB thing......Hollywood just don't get it...They can't figure out why they spend 6o Million dollars on movies that totally suck, then, wonder why...I mean, one would think that If hollywood wanted to actually gross a profit on these "Movies", they'd ask for input, or at least do it with respect to the original movie/idea...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Mike DC

The remakes keep sucking partly because they're made by people who basically don't want to be doing them. 

The studios demand remakes for less monetary risk than original new stuff.   People get assigned to remake stuff that they never really liked/understood in the first place.  So they change the source material in all kinds of dumb ways.  And then everyone acts surprised when the end result doesn't please the existing fans or the noobs.

69 OUR/TEA

Quote from: Cooter on June 22, 2010, 05:19:19 PM
Continuation, remake, Whatever, Christine as anything other than a 1958 Plymouth is like Ford Festiva as the General Lee....It just don't work....But, I guess there will be alot of happy Folks over on the GN sites when the value of their cars goes up ten fold overnight....Same thing with the SATB thing......Hollywood just don't get it...They can't figure out why they spend 6o Million dollars on movies that totally suck, then, wonder why...I mean, one would think that If hollywood wanted to actually gross a profit on these "Movies", they'd ask for input, or at least do it with respect to the original movie/idea...

Everyone jumps to thrash on remake movies,"Gone in sixty seconds" remake def better than the orig.Can't tell you how many people don't even know there was a first one.Given that,do you think everyone out there now who goes to see Christine remake knows about there being a first one?If they don't,they might think it was a great movie(the remake).
Also,I would say a big portion of Charger lovers got the bug from watching DOH series,or the movie.Wether it be to make a GL clone or just have a 69 Charger.And at that,as I love the orig movie Christine,is why I like and would def like to own a Christine clone.Without ever there have been the movie,I would never have given a 58 Belvedere or Fury a second look.
Let them do a remake,(SATB,and Christine)who cares,if some feel that strongly,don't go..........or ,go waste 2 hours and $20.00 of your life and if it sucked,oh well,but if was good ,it was a nice night out.

TruckDriver

See, now I totally disagree there. I think the original Gone In 60 Seconds is better. I do like the remake thought too. But I dont care for the computer generated crap they stick in most newer movies. Like in the original 3 Star Wars, the small models they used were way cooler then the Computer generated crap.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

694spdRT

I liked the original Gone in 60 Seconds especially when you know that the guy basically did everything himself from stunts to financing the movie. It has some cheesy parts but who cares.

I liked the 2nd one also and consider it one of the few remake's that didn't leave a bad taste after watching it.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

68charger383

Quote from: Cooter on June 22, 2010, 05:19:19 PM
Continuation, remake, Whatever, Christine as anything other than a 1958 Plymouth is like Ford Festiva as the General Lee....It just don't work....But, I guess there will be alot of happy Folks over on the GN sites when the value of their cars goes up ten fold overnight....

Darn I was hoping I would have a shot at my car being used for Dennis' car in a remake. I guess his charactor will be driving a 93 RX-7 and Buddy a Dodge Stealth or something!  :rotz:

On a side note, it looks like John Carpenter is selling out all his classics for re-makes: They Live and Escape From NY remakes are currently in production. Once again, classic movies that probably shouldn't be re-made! http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000118/
1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

Mike DC

QuoteSee, now I totally disagree there. I think the original Gone In 60 Seconds is better. I do like the remake thought too. But I dont care for the computer generated crap they stick in most newer movies. Like in the original 3 Star Wars, the small models they used were way cooler then the Computer generated crap.

It's hard to find someone who doesn't think computer effects are overused.  I know guys who do CGI effects professionally, and even they tend to agree that practical effects are often preferable to CGI work.    

It's like airbrushing the bodies of hot models in magazines.  Or bondo on the sheetmetal of a quick & dirty car restoration.  It has its rightful place in the toolbox but there is a tremendous potential for abuse.

Remake movies don't bother me in the vast majority of cases.  Whether they suck or they're good, either way it draws some attention to the original.

We all like to complain about people only knowing about a classic in the form of some crummy remake version.  But the truth is most of those people would never have seen the original regardless of whether it was remade or not.  

69 OUR/TEA

Quite a few people never heard of DMCL either !!!!!