News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Did you grow up playing with this deadly game??????

Started by 69 OUR/TEA, June 20, 2010, 08:17:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69 OUR/TEA

Jarts!!!!!!

Don't know how long they have been banned and illegal,E-bay yanks them as soon as they get listed,so since craigslist does'nt police things like this,picked up a set.Had these when I was a kid,never knew what happened to them.Other family members have them and is a game we play at all our family picnics and such.
Obviously could be deadly if struck with one if not paying attention,but getting hit by a horseshoe would'nt feel or be any better.Kinda funny as BB guns,pellet guns,and paint guns are readily available ay Walmart,Dicks,etc and such.
Anyway,you usually find these at tag sales,garage sales,flea markets,and as I  metioned to a couple friends that I found a set to buy,seems alot more people  say they have or think they have a set in their attic or garage,or basement.From my research there are about 6 or 7 diff companys that made them such as Jarts,Regent,Franklin,and a couple more.The ones that I wanted were the orig Jarts missle game,made in New York.
Just curious,how many of you still have these things kicking around or still use them?
And also,if you do,would be interested in getting rid of a set as I would like to pick up another set for myself?
The set that I picked up is dam near mint,barely used,even the extra fins were never put on.Thanks,Paul

GTXtreme

yea i remember that game and i'll never forget someone throwing one at me and how it stuck in my shin and having to pull it out it was fun, still have the scar lol   :rofl:

Cooter

Yessir, and just like everything else, some brain dead moron decided to throw 'em at someone else. now they are collectors items....Played with 'em the CORRECT way for years, never hadda problem....
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

GTXtreme

A383Wing

Yup...I remember playing with them.....

<god I'm old>

Chad L. Magee

I used to play Jarts with my cousins at their farm during the wintertime, but it was a whole different game to us.  We built snowmen and then took turns seeing how many we could hit from various distances.  Different parts were worth different points.  To make the game even more fun, we installed a bag of red koolaid to represent the heart, protected with an ice cage to represent a rib cage.  Since we tended to hit rocks often with them, the tips were treated to a very nice sharping job each time before we used them out in the snow.  I think we finally hooked firework rockets (big ones) and launched them out of an old cardboard tube (like a RPG), but the plastic (or were they pot metal?) fins broke up after the explosions.  Ah, memories.........
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

69 OUR/TEA

Quote from: Chad L. Magee on June 20, 2010, 09:11:00 PM
I used to play Jarts with my cousins at their farm during the wintertime, but it was a whole different game to us.  We built snowmen and then took turns seeing how many we could hit from various distances.  Different parts were worth different points.  To make the game even more fun, we installed a bag of red koolaid to represent the heart, protected with an ice cage to represent a rib cage.  Since we tended to hit rocks often with them, the tips were treated to a very nice sharping job each time before we used them out in the snow.  I think we finally hooked firework rockets (big ones) and launched them out of an old cardboard tube (like a RPG), but the plastic (or were they pot metal?) fins broke up after the explosions.  Ah, memories.........

WOW !!!!!Maybe it was you that got them banned!!!!! LOL

jeryst

If I remember right, they were banned because quite a few kids got hit in the head with them. Some died.
Kids would just throw them up in the air, instead of away from themselves.

loudmouthaussie

see thats just natural selection. bet those kids wouldnt have contributed much to the world. now generations of em will be saved  :icon_smile_big:
1970 PLYMOUTH SUPERBIRD. 440/6BBL/BENCH/AUTO/VITAMIN C.
1979 FORD RANCHERO GT 351.
1960 AUSTIN HEALEY MK1 BUGEYE SPRITE 1275/4 SPEED.

Chad L. Magee

Quote from: 69 OUR/TEA on June 20, 2010, 09:22:21 PM
Quote from: Chad L. Magee on June 20, 2010, 09:11:00 PM

WOW !!!!!Maybe it was you that got them banned!!!!! LOL

Oh, that was nothing compared to some of the other stuff we were doing out there.  Ever catch a snowman on fire?  I figured out a way or two......

In retrospect, we were probably lucky we did not ever try to throw them at each other (or God forbid, tried to play them per the instructions).....

BTW- Thanks for sharing your Jarts finds with us.  I have not seen them since about twenty years ago.....
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

Cooter

Quote from: GTXtreme on June 20, 2010, 08:55:23 PM
sorry you dont have a sence of humour

Wasn't directed at you directly, just saying most kids weren't happy playing with them the correct way....That got "Boring" quickly and then comes the "Brain dead" part...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

69CoronetRT

Quote from: 69 OUR/TEA on June 20, 2010, 08:17:35 PM
                         Jarts!!!!!!

We had the Jarts. Great game when played properly.

I'm not sure how my generation ever survived 'dangerous' toys like this, Klackers, Super Balls, Creepy Crawlers, Vac-u-form, Easy Bake Ovens and all the rest of the fun toys. Not to mention we had things you just can't buy anymore like Bag O' Glass and Doggie Dentist. ;)
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

68X426

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Old Moparz

I still have a set, it's in my attic. I bought it in the mid 1980's for a big camping & canoe trip with about 15 or so friends. After seeing that we brought more beer than anything else, I decided not to take the "steel-pointed-will-go-in-any-direction-a-drunk-can-toss-it-to-stick-in-the-skull-projectiles" & left them in the car.  :lol:
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

bull

I didn't mess around with lawn darts much but I and some of my friends thought it was fun to shoot arrows up into the air with a recurve bow (far enough to where they would disappear) and stick them in the ground as close as possible to where we shot them from.

69bronzeT5

I used to always play those........my cousin launched one across our yard (about 2 acres) and it went about 2 inches into a tree....
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

mikesbbody

Never played that Game but I use to have a Hunting bow myself and a friend would shoot the arrows straight up in thr air and try to catch them on the way down... :image_294343:
What were we thinking... :rotz:

8WHEELER

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on June 21, 2010, 01:23:01 AM
I used to always play those........my cousin launched one across our yard (about 2 acres) and it went about 2 inches into a tree....

Dude, I did not think you were old enough   :scratchchin:  but I on the other hand tried to use them in
a responsible manner, because I am that old. But it was tempting to see how far they ''could'' go, but alas
we played fair.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

b5blue

Now I miss my Vac-U-Form and Creepy Crawlers sets.  :'( (and my Johnny Seven OMA)

TruckDriver

I used to play with those. Not only that, me and the neighbour kid used to take his dad's bow & arrow and shoot the arrow straight up into the sky, and wait til we could see it coming down, before we would run out of the way :P :rotz: Yea, we weren't the smartest I guess  :lol:
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

stripedelete

Quote from: loudmouthaussie on June 20, 2010, 09:44:43 PM
see thats just natural selection. bet those kids wouldnt have contributed much to the world. now generations of em will be saved  :icon_smile_big:

Yep!

resq302

God, my grandfather has a set just like that in the original box still.  Granted, it does not seem to be in as good of a shape as those box wise but I remember playing with them gowing up too.  I also remember the black plastic "handle" coming off in my hand a couple times with the rest of the Jart go flying away from me.  That made it into a fun game of something like quick draw and seeing how far and fast you could do it.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Skyview69

I have a set in my garage...won't let the kids near them...but I played them when I was young...never had a problem....fun game

jeryst

Quote from: mikesbbody on June 21, 2010, 01:47:30 AM
Never played that Game but I use to have a Hunting bow myself and a friend would shoot the arrows straight up in thr air and try to catch them on the way down... :image_294343:
What were we thinking... :rotz:

I was about 4 when my parents bought me one of those play bow and arrow sets. You know, the ones with the suction cups on the arrows.
I took the suction cups off and put the arrows in the pencil sharpener. They were just the right size.
Had a lot of wounded rabbits in our yard that summer.

1BAD68

Two weekends ago a friend of mine pulled out an original Jarts set and we played it for a while.
I was surprised at how flimsy they really are. When I was kid they seemed so much heavier and deadly.
Maybe they had diffrent manufacturers back then but the "Jarts" brand are really wimpy.