News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Gilmer belt drive question

Started by doctor4766, June 17, 2010, 06:28:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doctor4766

Been wondering whether there is a Gilmer Belt setup available that can be used with a 383 running power steering.
Anyone managed to successfully install one on their Charger?
Any info appreciated.

Paul
Gotta love a '69

ACUDANUT

doctor4766

Gotta love a '69

mikesbbody

Quote from: ACUDANUT on June 17, 2010, 06:28:59 PM
A what ????  :shruggy:

They replace the stock pullies and belts on your alternator, Waterpump and Crankshaft pulley.They also make that Supercharger "whine" Doc, I think you will find they are pretty much unheard of in North America. I asked Ron about them I sent him a link and he laughed at the idea  ;D

ACUDANUT

oh, serpentine belt. Why didn't you say so? :cheers:

doctor4766

There's a guy on your side of the planet listing a set
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chrysler-V8-Gilmer-Belt-Drive-Kit-318-340-360-383-440-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem19b46fbdffQQitemZ110401404415QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

One minute he says it's got a groove for power steering belt then he says not suitable for power steering.
A mate ordered one and of course there's no facility for power steering belt.
Was just curious as to whether there's a solution.
Gotta love a '69

Darkman

Quote from: ACUDANUT on June 17, 2010, 09:38:20 PM
oh, serpentine belt. Why didn't you say so? :cheers:

It's not a serpentine belt, a they use 1 belt to drive all the pullies, where as this one is just like the old fan belt but gives that "supercharger" sound
Make it idiot proof, and somebody will make a better idiot!

If you think Education is difficult, try being stupid!

Supercharged Riot

My blower uses the Gilmer style blower belt
It is also known as 1/2 pitch

Higher horsepower belts use 8mm or 14mm belts (they have thicker teeth on the belts)

My 1/2 pitch belt barely makes the "whining" noise at lower rpms

I'll try to post pics of my belt.

ACUDANUT

What size engine is on that blue Charger ?

Mopar440+6

Doc,

I work for a company that makes the industrial sized versions of these drives. The technical terms are synchronous or timing drives. Anything can be done if you're willing to pay for it. However, I think you will have a hard time finding a belt drive that combines both a synchronous drive AND a V-belt drive. These guys have a lot of good info...

http://www.gates.com/index.cfm
"If you cant fix it with a wrench, get a hammer. If that doesn't work, get a bigger hammer!"

doctor4766

Quote from: Mopar440+6 on June 21, 2010, 09:36:50 PM
Doc,

I work for a company that makes the industrial sized versions of these drives. The technical terms are synchronous or timing drives. Anything can be done if you're willing to pay for it. However, I think you will have a hard time finding a belt drive that combines both a synchronous drive AND a V-belt drive. These guys have a lot of good info...

http://www.gates.com/index.cfm

Thanks for that I'll check out their website.

It suprises me that it's an uncommon thing to do over there.
Guys have been doing it to cars here for yonks.
I can get a gear drive setup but the vendor in the US says there's no facility for the power steering belt
Gotta love a '69

mauve66

sorry i created another post on this subject so soon after this one, just goes to show you that we should be searching before posting.......

i didn't realize it made a blower sound, just thought it would be ALOT cheaper than those damn sepentine systems that have all the fancy gaudy brackets taking up space on the front of the block ($1200 i think)

all they would need would be the actual pullies for the PS and AC i would think, right?? and of course a longer belt.........
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

mauve66

looking through the gates catalog you can buy the pulleys depending on the pitch and diameter that you want so if we can find the right width and pitch pulley to press on the PS  pump............

i guess the AC would be more complicated due to the clutch system??

i guess that motors with blowers sticking out of the hood don't have PS????? i can't believe that but then again i usually don't pay attention to the PS pump at a car show............. :shruggy:
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

mikesbbody

I've been looking on a local site and in one auction it say's there's a groove in the crank pulley for P/S, in the other auction, it say's there's another optional pulley for P/S don't know about A/C

doctor4766

Found a supplier here in Oz
http://www.californiaspeedsupplies.com.au/gilmer_drives.html
Havent ordered one yet though as I'm waiting for a member of another forum to fit the one he bought first.. just to make sure it works ok.
And yeah, the blower sound is awesome.
I'm suprised you lot in the US haven't gotten onto this sorta thing before now.
Gotta love a '69