News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Ever bought a new car?

Started by FastbackJon, July 08, 2010, 03:04:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FastbackJon

I was on this site and was reading tips.

http://www.carbuyingtips.com/carintro.html

Sounds interesting, and basically the premise is to get the car for the actual invoice cost, minus the holdback (3% total MSRP), minus any factory to dealer or factory to buyer incentives, plus a couple hundred bucks. You're aiming for the dealer's actual cost plus a couple hundred bucks so they at least make a little profit.

I figured this out on some of the new Challenger R/T's (5.7) and the cost came out under $28,000, which I think at even 1.9% 60-month financing is still too much to pay for a car and especially one that's not very rare.
"This was the dedication of the altar, in the day when it was anointed, by the princes of Israel: twelve chargers of silver, twelve silver bowls, twelve spoons of gold..." -- Numbers 7:84 KJV

greenpigs

I have owned 5 brand new cars, and am not much help as I have to be the most rotten negotiator. Know the car you want back and forth and what the available options and packages are. Plus any special financing or rebates are important to know about. Had one salesman try to forget about the money back offer, didn't buy from that hustler. Instead I gave my money to a different hustler, but at least one smart enough to cover the obvious lies. If you want a specific color or something don't settle for less than what you want just because its in front of you. I may get a Ford focus next year or a base model camaro, I'm done buying new Mopar's :Twocents:
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

Tilar

I've bought 2 new vehicles in my lifetime, a 1976 Ford F150 and a 1995 Chevy S10. I still have the S10 and I think it has around 75k miles on it. I don't forsee me having another new one.... ever. I hate making car payments with a passion. I'd rather make payments on 2 houses than on one car.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Ponch ®

The sticker on my 08 Charger was $33K. I was way upside down on my trade in, but after all the dealer discounts and manufacturer incentives, and some relentless negotiating on my part, I still ended up paying just under $31K. The way I figured, with taxes, fees, and the negative equity I had, the car itself came out to about $25K
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

ChgrSteve67

Got to know what you have, what you want and what your willing to pay.

You have to be ready to walk away!  Sales people can tell if you are in a hurry to buy a car or desperately need one.

Dealing through the internet or dealing with fleet sales is less pressure for both parties but generally takes longer.

If its a unique car, popular or limited supply it will be much harder to make a good deal.

End of Month, Quarter and Year are good times to buy a car. Sales people and dealerships are more willing to make a deal if they are trying to make thier numbers and they are running short.

I have never tried ordering a car.

I really wish the public could order directly from the factory and then just pay a shipping fee.

FastbackJon

With Vipers they let the buyers have the option to pick them up and drive them out from the assembly plant. That's what they told us when I took the tour there in 2006 anyway. That sounds fun.
"This was the dedication of the altar, in the day when it was anointed, by the princes of Israel: twelve chargers of silver, twelve silver bowls, twelve spoons of gold..." -- Numbers 7:84 KJV

furbyboy

jaak

I use to work at 2 different dealerships, this time of year I would definately wait until 2011 models come out, you can get great deals on new 2010's on the lot.
I think it was back when the '05 models came out I was looking at buying a new '04 truck that stickered for like 23k, the 04 had a $4500 rebate, then there was a dealer rebate (can't remember how much, probably 500 or 1000), plus I could get a GM discount, because I was employed by the dealership, after all was said and done could have bought it for 15,700.
Whatever you decide to do...just take your time, don't get in a hurry. Last car I bought (used not new) I spent 2-3 weeks looking and deciding what I wanted.
Good Luck  :2thumbs:.

Jason

Brock Samson

http://www.nih.gov/researchmatters/july2010/07122010touch.htm

July 12, 2010

Touch Affects Impressions, Decisions
The physical characteristics of something you're touching can influence your feelings about unrelated events, situations and objects, according to new research. Among the findings, heavy objects made job candidates appear more important, rough objects made social interactions seem more difficult, and hard objects increased rigidity in negotiations.

"In another test, 86 people engaged in mock haggling over the price of a new car. Those sitting in hard chairs turned out to be less willing to compromise on price than those sitting in soft chairs."