News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Power bulge hood question.

Started by harley, June 17, 2010, 11:03:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

harley

I have a 1972 charger power bulge stock steel hood. I want to know if this hood can be converted to an air grabber (ram charger) hood. I see kits being sold on e-bay and would like to know if I can convert my hood. Has anyone tried this conversion? Is it possible?
Also if anyone has any pictures of the bottom side of an air grabber hood without the duct work, can you please post them?
Thanks in advance.

CDN72SE

Here are a couple of links with some info:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,18182.0.html

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,24053.0.html

I just used the search function, you may be able to peice together some info from all the other questions about these hoods.  :2thumbs:
1972 Charger SE

harley

Thanks for the information. 
How is the frame mounted in the hood?

rich4406bbl

IMO you'll be better off looking around and buying a complete hood. They pop up on ebay every so often. It will be cheaper in the long run. When you get it sell the bulge hood to offset the cost. My 71RT had the hood/door only on it and it still cost me close to 2k to get all of the other stuff. With regards to the air cleaners, there are at least (2) kinds, one for the 383/400 and one for the 440. There may be a third for the 340 though it might be the same as the 383/400 version.

mikesbbody

Yes, it has been done before I havent personally done it but know someone who has. If you have the skills, and know what your doing then no problem other wise...not a good idea Rich hit the nail on the head IMO.
If you can wait AMD may be bring out a Ramcharger hood I say "may" because all they told me was they plan on producing the 71 Bulge hood I have no idea when (but I think it may be later this year?) then again they may not do it at all.
Or they may make the "insert" type hoods instead.

harley

Thanks for all the information. I was just wondering how the air grabber frame is mounted to the hood. I am not looking to run the air grabber set up, my heads and intake will not allow it. I am really only interested in mounting the frame to the hood and the door. I posted a picture above but can not really tell if there are brackets holding it, or if it's welded.