News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Mini Starter = great investment

Started by 1BAD68, June 16, 2010, 08:06:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1BAD68

I just changed my old stock starter for a DB Electric mini starter and have to say that its one of the best improvements I've done to my car.
I highly recommend everyone do it. This thing cranks up like nobody's business and was only $84.00
:2thumbs:

by the way, its installed on a 318 w/headers and slipped right in without removing anything.

chargd72

My headers arrived yesterday for my 318.  If the stock starter causes any problems, which I hear it can be quite a pain, then I will be getting one of these as a replacement.

Thanks for the recommendation.      :2thumbs:

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

Silver R/T

I was looking at getting one, do they have a link?
I've noticed 440 source has one for $100 but this one looks just as good for bit less money
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

1969chargerrtse

Any 440 guys using them?  Do they crank over fast and have that old mopar starter wine?
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on June 16, 2010, 08:45:29 PM
Any 440 guys using them?  Do they crank over fast and have that old mopar starter wine?

Mini starters work great on 440 engines. My Hemi also has a mini starter......They do not have the mopar sound though unfortunately.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

A383Wing

I went to store and bought starter for '94 Dakota....works great

Charger´69

That mini starter looks like just the same than I assembled two days ago to my 440cid Magnum  :2thumbs: And I agree, it "revs" engine like maniac when cranking compared to old original starter  :rofl:

But I hope that it lasts long, I´ve red that those chinese made mini starters many times have short life time, some times one week, some times ten years. But it´s cheap and STRONG so, I bought one  :cheers:

First it didn´t slip right in, those cable brackets which "moves" those terminals had to take off, in 440cid engine those didn´t fit between starter and block  :shruggy: But those are removable and there are normal terminals below that plastic cap, so there is no problem if you have enough long wires coming for battery because now wires go between starter and block and original starter have those terminals other side on starter, near to cables :shruggy: And, those cables will go VERY close to block, there are some 0.2 inch distance from battery + cable to block when those are connected  :o But that´s enough space still because starter doesn´t move there and 12 V voltage doesn´t jump that easily  ;)

Here is mine picture of it in my topic: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,67709.msg795203.html#msg795203
Plymouth Fury "Christine's Sister" 4x4 6-71 1959
Dodge Charger R/T 440cid 1969
Pontiac Trans Am T-top SuperBandit 400cid 1978
Jeep Cherokee Renegade 4x4 3.7 2006

Brock Lee

I bought one of these DB starters 5 years ago and it is still working like a champ. My buddy decided to put one on his 440, so we went with the 94 Dakota unit locally and it is holding up just as well. I will never put a big one back on.

BrianShaughnessy

No...   there's no annoying whine followed by a half a cough and then a repeated attempt to start it 3 times while the chebbie guys laugh.   

I only have to touch the key a little once she's been running for the day and it fires right up.
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

pullrock

I am running the DB Electrical on my 68 440 with TTI headers.  WORKS GREAT and the price is right!

http://www.dbelectrical.com/c-1714-chrysler.aspx

Eric
68 Charger R/T

moparstuart

Quote from: pullrock on June 17, 2010, 09:43:54 AM
I am running the DB Electrical on my 68 440 with TTI headers.  WORKS GREAT and the price is right!

http://www.dbelectrical.com/c-1714-chrysler.aspx

Eric
68 Charger R/T
wow that is a great price
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

bull

Really? Something that works great for years and doesn't cost too much? What a concept.

BigBlockSam

i'm running db starters in 3 of my cars . 2 440 cars and one 383 car . they work great and draw less amps than the old starters . plus they clear the headers . $67.95 plus shipping   :2thumbs:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MINI-MOPAR-DODGE-PLYMOUTH-STARTER-SUPER-TORQUE-100-NEW-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem563a9688bfQQitemZ370350131391QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Silver R/T

thanks for the link guys, definitely on my list of things to do. My stock starter likes to cough and then "idle" like it's sticking, it has to go

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

1BAD68

Here's one being beaten to within an inch of its life but still cranking like a S.O.B to give you an idea of how they sound.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kO0FRc5YVg&feature=related

Finn

http://www.youtube.com/finnforthewin#p/u/0/5ZetXofs4SY

This is the one from 440source on a 440. Love it. With hooker super comps headers in place its a lil tricky to put in but it does fit.
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

gtx6970

I'll have to keep one of these in mind. Wonder how well they fit a 426 Hemi with the reproduction battery cables and iron manifolds, anyone done this yet?

MOXY100

Just replaced mine 440 with headers, had to lift the engine to get it in, what a pain! :brickwall:

mdirt68

Thanks for the great info here guys.  Tried the Powermaster XS-Torque and could not get it line up correctly even with the adjustable flange.  I fought this thing for two days straight and still could not get both bolts started.  It would have required significant grinding on the block to fit.  After reading this post I went to a local parts store and got a starter for a 94 Dakota for 65 bucks and had the starter in and the header bolted on within an hour.  I guess you don't always get what you pay for. 

Doug's headers 2" primaries

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

gtx6970

I have the DB electrical starters on 2 different cars. And both will be fired for the 1st time very  soon, so I'll know how they sound first hand.
On both the plastic jumper looking thing for the cable connections had to be removed to fit.

2nd one below is on a 1970 Hemi Cuda

1st one is on a 1969 440 Charger R/T

Brock Samson

DO IT!!! no more heat sink, and it starts RIGHT NOW!  :2thumbs:  :yesnod:

Finn

Quote from: gtx6970 on February 28, 2011, 11:02:26 AM

On both the plastic jumper looking thing for the cable connections had to be removed to fit.

:yesnod: Same on both of mine. Unfortunately I didn't remember that from the first time until after I fought it for an hour or so...

440 with 2 inch primary hooker headers
383 with stock manifolds.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

BlueSS454

I have a mini starter on mine as well.  It was already on the car when I bought it in 2001.  I just cleaned it up and reinstalled it :2thumbs: and I can take it off with a ratchet/extension without touching the headers.
I also have a mini starter on my 86 Cutlass from DB Electrical that has been trouble free.
Now on the other hand, I have blown up 4 mini starters from DB Electrical on the 454 in my 70 SS Chevelle.  Each time it blew apart the plastic planetary gear inside the starter housing.  No one has been able to tell me why.  I know for a fact clearance with the flexplate teeth was not an issue on it.  It was nice with the headers that are on that car though, BUT, it sucked big time having to change it 4 times in hotel parking lots and race track pits in June and July.  Needless to say a stock Delco starter went back in it.
Tom Rightler

BLUE68RT4ME

Quote from: 1BAD68 on June 18, 2010, 08:58:36 AM
Here's one being beaten to within an inch of its life but still cranking like a S.O.B to give you an idea of how they sound.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kO0FRc5YVg&feature=related

Wow that was painful to watch!   :-\
Mark Schultz
"BLUE68RT4ME"

Martian R/T

I switched to one years ago after fighting to extract a header cooked stock unit, and it was the best investment. It always spins quick, the old one always had a hard time especially if it was cold. It was a late model stock Mopar unit. :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
                            1970 Charger R/T 440 Auto 3:55 Martian Green???

mikesbbody

I don't mind the sound of it at all I will add it to my list of things to buy (never ending list  :lol:) the fact it's smaller and lighter, is a Plus too.

oldcarnut

Quote from: Finn on June 18, 2010, 05:45:12 PM
Any 440 guys using them?  Do they crank over fast and have that old mopar starter wine?

http://www.youtube.com/finnforthewin#p/u/0/5ZetXofs4SY

This is the one from 440source on a 440. Love it. With hooker super comps headers in place its a lil tricky to put in but it does fit.
I don't know about the starter whine but I like that old Mopar sound coming that out the exhaust  Your Charger sounds great :2thumbs:

Finn

2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

1969chargerrtse

Just read an article on these starters in a Road and Track magazine. I know I'm a late Bloomer. Bought a DB starter on eBay for 75.00 with shipping included. Nice. Shave 10 pounds of steel.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Brightyellow69rtse

i got it on a 440 with headers. i had the headers off at the time. i had to jack up the motor and slide the header and starter together. its not cake but after you do it its not the end of the world.

1969chargerrtse

No headers for me. I hope it just slaps in.

7chargers

I know exactly how this goes with the old hevy starter, just replaced the bad one with one of the old heavy starters. I also have headers on my 383, and it wasnt too bad as my headers were just laying in the engine compartment un bolted. I did have to manuver it around in aukward positions to get it into place but it went, then bolted the headers back and and away i went. Laying on your back while the car was on jack stands was the worse part. If you had a lift the install would go much better to say the least.

Rolling_Thunder

Have one on my 6.1L Hemi with TTI headers    :2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

BigBlockSam

goes in and out of my roadrunner without moving the header .  :cheers:

404NOTFOUND

Not for me thanks. I love the famous Chrysler starter whine. My stock one fits with my headers no problem. I have an awesome battery and a top notch ignition so there is rarely a need for excessive cranking.
My 1969 Charger. RIP......Rest in pieces.

1969chargerrtse

Well I put it in tonight.  Wow, that things cranks over fast!  Click, vroom.  I did have to take the black plastic cable thingy off and bolt the cables straight to the starter, and yes the wires are real close to the block.  Also I have the expensive repro batt cable ( 125.00? ) and the small connector wouldn't fit over the small stud.  I had to open it up a bit.  Other wise all went well, no regrets.  Almost one regret when I came back out to the garage and found my Scott's weed spreader fell off my wall!!!  Can't believe it didn't hit the car??  No marks.  :notworthy:

myk

I'd do it just for the weight savings-totally worthy 'mod...

I have a stock one and it sounds like starting a truck.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: 440 on May 04, 2012, 09:34:11 PM
I have a stock one and it sounds like starting a truck.

I love that sound.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

68 CHARGER R/T

had my mini for 4 years now on my 440.  cranks like a little 4 banger .lol

Fred

With my TTI 2 1/4 headers, a mini starter is a must.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

TK73

440 w/ Hooker Comps.

Bought a mid 90's SB Dakota starter.  Works GREAT. No heat shield, no overheating issues.
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

BLUE68RT4ME

I bought the DBElectrical starter two weeks ago off of Ebay.  By the time I got to the body shop Friday it was already on the car.  I'm impressed by their quickness to deliver.  They don't mess around.  I'll be turning it over for the first time this weekend.  If it's as great as their delivery I'm going to be very pleased!   :2thumbs:
Mark Schultz
"BLUE68RT4ME"

1969chargerrtse

Did you guys know you can unscrew two screws and turn the body around to move the wires away from the block?  Guess I should of read the directions.

1974dodgecharger

chargd72

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on April 30, 2013, 11:36:58 AM
this will be my new upgrade....

You revived a year old thread to tell us that?  :slap:

j/k.  Have at it, man.

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

odcics2

Reading the entire thread, I have to add that the headers chosen can be a source of various fit issues.
I have never had issues with Hooker Headers. Fit like a glove, install easy, clear everything, last a super long time...
For me a stock starter works. Something nostalgic about the sound.  :2thumbs: 
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

70 Charger RT

QuoteAny 440 guys using them?
I think they work great.  I bought mine from 440 Source.  When I installed it, there was an issue with the electrical attach point extension touching the block so I just removed the extension thingy and everything worked fine.
70 Charger R/T - 440/6
07 BMW 328iS
04 GMC SLE 2500 Diesel

Cooter

Local NAPA. Works great. Even get those rebuild kits online to rebuild 'em. Love my mini starter. I was swapping these out way back in 1998. Once I had a core and decided to see if it would fit my 440.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: chargd72 on April 30, 2013, 12:27:50 PM

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on April 30, 2013, 11:36:58 AM
this will be my new upgrade....

You revived a year old thread to tell us that?  :slap:

j/k.  Have at it, man.

:icon_smile_big: Oh yeah, old threads are nice when you do a search instead of starting new threads then folks gave us a hard time (in a good way) about not using the search function  :icon_smile_big: :cheers:

1974dodgecharger

I removed the starter finally that's after I unbolted the header and the valve cover...faking hooker headers get in the way of spark plugs and starter removal.

Finn

Come to think of it, as long as you have the hookers off fix the clearance issue with the header bolt to the right of the forward pipe. It will save you SO MUCH headache, especially if you use crush gaskets.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: Finn on May 01, 2013, 05:56:54 PM
Come to think of it, as long as you have the hookers off fix the clearance issue with the header bolt to the right of the forward pipe. It will save you SO MUCH headache, especially if you use crush gaskets.

u mean bolt closest to firewall? that was half off explains my exhaust leak  ::)

how do i fix that? mine are all rusted up hookers.....

Finn

No the second bolt from the front of the car. The stock bend on the pipe comes in a steep angle and it makes it really hard to get the bolt to thread properly.  I took mine to a shop and had them cut off the pipe about 6 inches down from the flange and rework the bend so it comes in steeper, giving the bolt more space on the right hand side of the pipe shown in the picture.

2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

1974dodgecharger

Finn,
Gotcha what I did with that one was obtain a shorter bolt to bolt it on I remember that one.  What's worse is the no 8 spark plug the passenger closest to firewall the hookers block access to that plug I had to buy a special spark plug header remova
Socket for that one,

Silver R/T

Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on June 17, 2010, 05:58:17 AM

No...   there's no annoying whine followed by a half a cough and then a repeated attempt to start it 3 times while the chebbie guys laugh.   

I only have to touch the key a little once she's been running for the day and it fires right up.

So true. I remember last year we went to local car cruise and guy's Challenger had overheated starter that just wouldn't budge. Owner was embarrassed and frustrated.

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

1974dodgecharger

I think we all get embarrassed when our chargers don't start.  I know guys at work anticipate me starting her her up after getting done shift work and when it dont start they are dissapointed

Quote from: Silver R/T on May 02, 2013, 10:37:01 PM
Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on June 17, 2010, 05:58:17 AM

So true. I remember last year we went to local car cruise and guy's Challenger had overheated starter that just wouldn't budge. Owner was embarrassed and frustrated.

Cooter

Quote from: Silver R/T on May 02, 2013, 10:37:01 PM

Everybody always asks me why I'm ALWAYS in some form of "Work"" clothes at car shows. This is why. half the time I'm either under someoine else's junk, or under my own. They are machines and they break at the Worst times. I don't worry too much bout the Chebby guys.
They really hate it when the ol General Lee takes their thunder at the car shows anyway.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

ChargedNJ

I know i'm bringing back an old thread, but i have to give it props, as its the reason i bought the mini which arrived yesterday.  Not in the car yet, but im already absolutely thrilled with the size and weight difference!  Best $75 ever spent!!!

BLUE68RT4ME

Mine has been great ever since I bought it!  You'll love it!   :yesnod:  :2thumbs:
Mark Schultz
"BLUE68RT4ME"

Captain D

...re-igniting any updated reviews on the DB Electrical starters to see if anyone would like to share, just out of curiosity...? I've read some reviews elsewhere that have stated that these starters may not fit the 383 big blocks  :scratchchin:. I'm thinking about running it in my 69' Charger / 383 since it is advertised as fitting such (despite some weird reviews). Any latest updates, feedback, fitting issues, performance issues / longevity reports, etc. with the DB Electrical starters and anyone install em' on your 383 big block?

XH29N0G

I'll be an experiment, but need to wait for it to arrive.  I ordered one a few days ago and hope it arrives by next weekend to install.  I'll post if it works.  If there is an issue, I'll be  :brickwall: for not catching the issues with the fits on the low deck engines.

Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

JR

Ive never used that DB brand of mini starter before, so I cant vouch for them specifically.

I can say Ive been using a junkyard mini starter (from a late 90s Ram or van or something) for years and it's been GREAT! Faster starting, less weight on the nose, more room for the header clearance, etc..

Unless you're going for a 100 point restoration, there is no downside to a mini starter. I'll never go back!

Based on that picture at the top of the thread, I cant imagine any possible clearance issues you could run into. Unless you have some full length headers. Even then you should have more room leftover after installation.

Sorry to not be more helpful, update this thread after you install it!
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

69wannabe

Shouldn't be any difference between putting one of these on a 383 or 440 I wouldn't think. I used the same starter (mini) when I swapped out the 383 from my charger and swapped in the 440 and it's still on there today. It crapped out on me one time about 5 years back and I had it rebuilt by my local starter guy and it's been good every since. It has been on my car for well over 10 years and was a great addition. I have a couple of extras on the shelf in case of a failure since my starter guy sold me a couple for 40 bucks each, for that price it was well worth it for two of them......

68X426

The DB has been great for me for 3 years.  I 100% recommend DB.  Great fit with my Hemi and TTIs.

The high end high price PowerMaster was a piece of shit.  It failed miserable, the case cracked and literally fell about in pieces, and they would not back their product.

DB is awesome.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

XH29N0G

Experiment worked.  The DB starter fit no problem on a 1970 383 with hooker competition headers.  The DB starter slipped right in from the top (steering column pulled back) and worked.  One day and counting.  It is very small - I was worried it was the right one they sent.  If I run into issues I will let you know.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

A383Wing

I have the mini starter on my 383 as well, no issues at all.....I did have to re-route my main positive cable so it didn't bind anywhere.

I just got one from a parts store with a lifetime warranty

Bryan