News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My Interior is HOT...Heater/Vent Issue?

Started by Iron Chef, June 15, 2010, 11:26:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iron Chef

The interior of my '71 Bee gets extremely warm.  Now, I should say right here that I have headers, and Texas isn't known for cool breezes in June, but it seems extremely warm inside the car while driving.  It is a non-A/C car with no dash vents.  When pulled, the air vent knobs seem to let in warm air.  Can anyone tell me where they air comes from?

When I turn on the fan (dash controls) I feel nothing.  I don't even know where that air comes out.  I apologize if I'm vague, I just don't know the system that well.

Part of my plan is to get some Dynamat, but any suggestions to help cool the interior would be appreciated.   It appears that Vintage Air does not make a plug and play system for the Charger like they do the 70-74 Challenger.

Thanks!  :cheers:
Most of your life should be "off the record."

oldcarnut

Quote from: Iron Chef on June 15, 2010, 11:26:53 PM
It is a non-A/C car with no dash vents.  When pulled, the air vent knobs seem to let in warm air.  Can anyone tell me where they air comes from?
The vent air should be coming in through the cowl vents in front of the windshield.

When I turn on the fan (dash controls) I feel nothing.  I don't even know where that air comes out.  I apologize if I'm vague, I just don't know the system that well.
That should be coming from your heater box to the floor vent or defroster also from the cowl area.  Maybe you have heater box door stuck open to the heater core allowing the hot air in the car.  I don't know the differences between years but here's a link to show a breakdown of a heater box and a vent box to look at.  The headers on mine will warm the inside up a bit.  I get some of it coming up through the 4 speed shifter as I don't have it sealed good.

Part of my plan is to get some Dynamat, but any suggestions to help cool the interior would be appreciated.   It appears that Vintage Air does not make a plug and play system for the Charger like they do the 70-74 Challenger.

Thanks!  :cheers:

Iron Chef

Quote from: oldcarnut on June 15, 2010, 11:50:03 PMThe vent air should be coming in through the cowl vents in front of the windshield.

That should be coming from your heater box to the floor vent or defroster also from the cowl area.  Maybe you have heater box door stuck open to the heater core allowing the hot air in the car.  I don't know the differences between years but here's a link to show a breakdown of a heater box and a vent box to look at.  The headers on mine will warm the inside up a bit.  I get some of it coming up through the 4 speed shifter as I don't have it sealed good.

OK...I played with it a little today and got everything to where air is coming from where it's supposed to be.  Still kinda hot.  I'm gonna try a few other solutions.  Thanks for the info!

Iron Chef

Thanks for the links OCN.  Very very useful info when I finally tackle this project!  :cheers:

billschroeder5842

Dude, live in Ft Worth....everything is going to be hot.

Just driving it around will make your inside temp about 100-105. It is a simply a function of outside air temp (today is 98) plus the heat the car just throws off--there is no way to get the car lower than the ambient temp outside.

just try to move the air you can...that is all you can do.
Texas Proud!

Iron Chef

Quote from: billschroeder5842 on June 18, 2010, 05:25:45 PM
Dude, live in Ft Worth....everything is going to be hot.

Just driving it around will make your inside temp about 100-105. It is a simply a function of outside air temp (today is 98) plus the heat the car just throws off--there is no way to get the car lower than the ambient temp outside.

just try to move the air you can...that is all you can do.

Don't I know it Bill!  I drove to a car show this evening and about roasted.  I'm gonna try insulating anyway but holy smokes...I can't believe we drove these as daily drivers back in the day!  :eek2:

This is one car that I wish was ordered with A/C, but then again, it started life as a Canadian Export, so it makes sense that it didn't!

bricklayer

put a bypass on your heater hoses on the outside before the hot water goes into your driving compartment this wil help some  tom

NHCharger

Huh, just saw this thread. My 71 gets hot inside also. A large part of the problem is the headers and duel exhaust. I have one of those infra red temperature guns and after 10 minutes at idle the inside of the firewall by the brake pedal was 180ยบ. There should be a seal on the front edge of the cowl so when the hood is down it seals the area between the cowl where your fresh air comes from and the engine compartment.
I just bought some thermo-coustic barrier from Eastwood which I am installing this week. It's half the price of Dynamat and according to Eastwood's test results just as effective. I'll post the results after I get it installed.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

69bronzeT5

Definitley get some type of Dynamat product. I don't have anything in my Duster, bare floors and last weekend after driving about 15 minutes, I could definitley feel the heat on my legs from the headers and exhaust....
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Iron Chef

Quote from: NHCharger on August 22, 2010, 08:57:00 PMI just bought some thermo-coustic barrier from Eastwood which I am installing this week. It's half the price of Dynamat and according to Eastwood's test results just as effective. I'll post the results after I get it installed.

I'd really like to see those pics!  :yesnod:

NHCharger

72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Iron Chef

Quote from: NHCharger on September 16, 2010, 09:05:05 PM
Check out this thread, I posted some pics

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,43004.0.html

Beautiful job!  I have this bookmarked so I can refer back to it!  Thanks again!  :cheers:

Iron Chef

After a lot of thought, I've decided that I'm gonna pull out and basically restore the entire interior.  Seats, dash, dashpad, everything.  I'm gonna clean up any wiring issues, put in a new firewall pad, dynamat (or something similar) throughout including the trunk and doors, and additional heat insulation in the areas of heat buildup (e.g. firewall and transmission tunnel).  I'll also rebuild the heater box like has been by several folks in here and put in new carpet.  A lot of work, but worth the effort.