News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440 with a supercharger

Started by even_u, August 10, 2010, 03:29:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

even_u

Thinkin of buying a 1968 440 which is listed with a "Penco 142 Supercharger".
I'm not a mechanic so can anyone explain to me what a penco is and what impact it has to the engine?

Thanks

mikepmcs

only thing i could find on penco was this statement.

"It's Penco- although there was a Pepco also. They were made from the '70s-'80s in Lincoln, NE, & so far as I know are out of business. It's essentially GM 4-53 rotors & gears in a custom case. For the SBC, it's supposed to be 1.75:1 overdriven & approximately 4 1/2 lbs. of boost with the Penco intake manifold, which is low profile & not optimal.

These were primarily designed (in the '60s by a GM engineer) for motorhomes & towing applications rather than performance. The big drawback, as I remember, is that the shafts run directly on the aluminum endplates which were reamed to fit, and pressurized by the engine's oil system....no bushings or bearings...so maintenance was important, & if the endplates wear, the rotors will probably hit each other & the case. :eek:"

As far as superchargers go.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercharger

Good luck to you.  Looks like a nice car.  The blue on in Illinois, right?
How do I know? Cause I googled Penco Supercharger and that listing came up about 20 times in a row.  :o
So, it is the only vehicle out there just about with one on it, i'm guessing.   :icon_smile_big:

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

even_u

Thanks,

Yes, the blue one in Illinois  ;)

I live in Norway and there are very strict rules for importing cars that are customized. I'm just worried I would end up with an expensive imported car that I can not put licence plates on.