News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What do you think of the semi-retarded idea I just came up with?

Started by bull, June 14, 2010, 11:48:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

Not even sure I like this idea myself yet but would you guys (those of you who actually drive long distances with your Chargers) ever consider building a Charger trailer out of AMD parts? I realize it would be pretty expensive but I think you could effectively bolt them to a utility trailer without destroying a Charger. If you were good enough at design and fabrication you could probably even make a tent trailer out of it. Ok, flame on.

Ghoste

Why not?  The street rod crowd do that sort of thing all the time.

68blue

Nothing wrong with the idea but I would imagine it would be pretty expensive when it was done. Paint the same color as the car inside maybe? :icon_smile_cool:

bull

Sure. But like you said, probably too expensive.

I'll come clean now, here's where I got the idea: http://powertour2010.wordpress.com/

Ghoste

Come to think of it, isn't there a green Super Bee somewhere in the Missouri area that has a similar thing going on?

69*F5*SE

Could call it "Trailer Queen Charger".....I like it.  I think it would be cool looking.

TUFCAT

Looks awesome! Reminds me of the Plymouth Prowler trailers also.  :2thumbs:

68blue

bull

Quote from: 68blue on June 14, 2010, 03:42:06 PM

Nice looking rig! On a 68 where would you make the cut?

I'd say at the front of where the forward tip of the quarter panel stops on the sail. You'd have ot fabricate in the back of the roof and maybe paint the "window" area black.

TUFCAT

Hmmm.... :scratchchin: maybe I love it so much because I have a '67 Coronet?? :icon_smile_wink:

The idea is great

but ...

on second thought putting a trailer hitch on my car just insn't on the agenda. I actually pulled a frame hitch when I bought it. It also had an old fashioned (brake fluid type) trailer brake meachanism under the dash.  I lost that too. ;)

My gut feeling says my Coronet's trailer towing days are in the past. But, that trailer is very cool for the long haulers. :2thumbs:

RallyeMike

Looks cool, but why would you want to ruin the driving experience of a muscle car by towing a trailer ? Just pack less crap.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

elacruze

Quote from: RallyeMike on June 14, 2010, 08:07:27 PM
Looks cool, but why would you want to ruin the driving experience of a muscle car by towing a trailer ? Just pack less crap.

Visually it's appealing, but it has no place in my program. I've lived 3 years now out of less space than the trunk of my Charger has anyway. That particular trailer is out of balance, anyway; it needs a longer tongue and more weight in front of the axle which would kill the look.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

Mike DC

If you build that thing, you would NEVER be able to shut up the complaints that you shouldn't have butchered a Charger body to do it. 

bull

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on June 14, 2010, 11:47:03 PM

If you build that thing, you would NEVER be able to shut up the complaints that you shouldn't have butchered a Charger body to do it.  

Complaints is about all you get at car shows anyway. Why'd you paint it the wrong color? How come it has disc brakes on it? Why don't you make a General Lee out of it? This is wrong, that is wrong. This should be that and that should be this...

:blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :nutkick:

elacruze

Quote from: bull on June 15, 2010, 01:27:40 AM

Complaints is about all you get at car shows anyway. Why'd you paint it the wrong color? How come it has disc brakes on it? Why don't you make a General Lee out of it? This is wrong, that is wrong. This should be that and that should be this...

:blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :nutkick:
:METAL: Nutkick for the WIN!
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

stuga

You gotta love the guy who will tell you to your face what you did wrong or the one who will talk real loud to his friend pointing out all the things that are wrong on your car, until you say " excuse me, what car is yours here"

RIDELIKEHELL

The last thing I would do is put a trailer hitch on my Charger but to each their own..cool looking trainler though.. :Twocents:
AMD POSTER BOY

1968 CHARGER R/T  http://www.youtube.com/user/ridelikehell73

elacruze

I will *Deffo* have a trailer hitch. I'll have to fab and install it myself, to minimize the visual impact. I have every intention of pulling my motorcycle behind me, to overnight shows and some of my shorter tours.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

PocketThunder

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Todd Wilson

Years ago at a Charger Fever meet we had a guy who had a 1st gen back half trailer.

Todd

moparstuart

Quote from: Todd Wilson on June 15, 2010, 10:08:03 AM
Years ago at a Charger Fever meet we had a guy who had a 1st gen back half trailer.

Todd

where is the picture   ?????
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

gschmidt211

My buddy and I joked about doing that with the parts car.  The quarters are shot, but with a half ass repair job, something inexpensive, the back half of the car could make a trailer.  Why not?
1972 Charger Rallye
2014 Ram Outdoorsman 3.6L 4x2
1978 D100 Utiline Standard Cab

PocketThunder

Quote from: gschmidt211 on June 15, 2010, 04:35:34 PM
My buddy and I joked about doing that with the parts car.  The quarters are shot, but with a half ass repair job, something inexpensive, the back half of the car could make a trailer.  Why not?
Ya know what, my parts car has nothing left except the cab part of the car.  The back half of most Chargers has long since rusted away.  I could make a tow behind little camper for sleeping in from the windshield to back wheels..  Kind of like those shorty version pictures of cars some guys had in their Avatar awhile back...   :scratchchin:   :scratchchin:   :scratchchin:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Old Moparz

And to think people bitch & moan over Charger convertibles......."There's no roof, the roofline makes the car!"

I don't see a roof on that trailer & people say they like it? There must be something in the water besides BP's oil.   :lol:
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

moparstuart

Quote from: Old Moparz on June 16, 2010, 02:56:55 PM
And to think people bitch & moan over Charger convertibles......."There's no roof, the roofline makes the car!"

I don't see a roof on that trailer & people say they like it? There must be something in the water besides BP's oil.   :lol:
:smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

MoparManJim

Quote from: moparstuart on June 16, 2010, 02:59:30 PM
Quote from: Old Moparz on June 16, 2010, 02:56:55 PM

:smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

I'll 2nd that bud  :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

Cooter

Trailers made outta backhalfed cars is.....Sorta like seeing an Elevator in an outhouse, it just don't fit....
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

bull

Quote from: Cooter on June 16, 2010, 05:32:12 PM
Trailers made outta backhalfed cars is.....Sorta like seeing an Elevator in an outhouse, it just don't fit....

Well, people used to use them for practical things too. You've no doubt seen the old black and white ad with a Challenger pulling an Airstream RV.

TylerCharger69

Ummmm...I think he was talking...theoretically...if he were to buy AMD panels to achieve this...not butcher an actual Charger........

Mike DC

QuoteUmmmm...I think he was talking...theoretically...if he were to buy AMD panels to achieve this...not butcher an actual Charger........

Yeah but that's my point.  I know he'll make it out of repro parts.  And he would still never stop hearing people complain that he shouldn't have hacked a real car to do it.  He could even put notes on the trailer saying it's just repro parts, and I'll bet tons of people still wouldn't read the notes before complaining.  

He would probably have to put "made entirely out of reproduction panels" on all sides of the the trailer in lettering the size of a NASCAR sponsorship to stop the comments.  

Magnumcharger

Of you're going to make a Charger trailer out of reproduction parts, you may as well throw a Janek Daytona wing on it to completely blow people's minds!
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

HeavyFuel

I went to Buggies and Blues this last weekend...about 550 cars.  Or should I say about 550 and 1/2 cars.

There was a black Trans Am (Bandit car) with a trailer made from back half of another TA.  And it was made to haul people, I think.  It had seats in it. 

We just shook our heads, it looked so wrong.  And who in the hell in their right mind would ride back there, trusting there lives to a hitch and safety chains?

bull

Quote from: Magnumcharger on June 17, 2010, 11:22:46 AM
Of you're going to make a Charger trailer out of reproduction parts, you may as well throw a Janek Daytona wing on it to completely blow people's minds!

That would be perfect! This idea is getting very expensive.