News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

don't you sometimes hate your car? (8/13:inspected, licenced and ready to roll)

Started by CB, June 14, 2010, 11:00:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CB

To top of the cake I heard that the guy from the Dodge dealership, who suppose to drive my car to the inspection, is sick and won't return before the 6th of f#ckin July  :flame:

1968 Dodge Coronet 500

Dans 68

Quote from: CB on June 15, 2010, 09:45:44 AM
To top of the cake I heard that the guy from the Dodge dealership, who suppose to drive my car to the inspection, is sick and won't return before the 6th of f#ckin July  :flame:

Sounds like a truly disfunctional system in Belgium, CB.  :icon_smile_dissapprove:   Hang in there.

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

resq302

Quote from: CB on June 15, 2010, 09:45:44 AM

Sick, or taking a long holiday vacation?  Oops, wait, the 4th of July is a US holiday.  my bad. :brickwall:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Cooter

I had a charging problem in the 'ol General Lee, but after I got fed up with the stock Chrysler Alt., and installed a GM alt. Problem gone....No regualtors, wiring issues, etc..Just an Alternator..Course, there's that GM thing sitting under your hood and all...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Back N Black

Quote from: Cooter on June 15, 2010, 11:43:26 AM
I had a charging problem in the 'ol General Lee, but after I got fed up with the stock Chrysler Alt., and installed a GM alt. Problem gone....No regualtors, wiring issues, etc..Jsut an Alternator..Course, there's that GM thing sitting under your hood and all...

I was thinking of going the GM route with the charging system, was it a big job? At least i will not have to carry $500 dollars wort of parts in the trunk, like a spare alternator, voltage regulator,orange box,coil,and ballist resistor. Did i miss anything?

Khyron

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Mike DC

The auto parts industry has been sending a pretty clear & consistent message.  The GM alternators are functional.  All the rest are strictly for cosmetic purposes.   

six-tee-nine

Quote from: Dans 68 on June 15, 2010, 10:10:01 AM

Sounds like a truly disfunctional system in Belgium, CB.  :icon_smile_dissapprove:   Hang in there.

Dan

Don't get me started about the Belgian system........I probably die from an heart attack before I get it completely explained, but we all hang in here.

Hey CB, sad to hear you having so much trouble. If you need a hand call me, I manage to know how a multimeter works  (thats pretty much it):D :D
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

Cooter

Quote from: Back N Black on June 15, 2010, 01:54:43 PM
Quote from: Cooter on June 15, 2010, 11:43:26 AM
I had a charging problem in the 'ol General Lee, but after I got fed up with the stock Chrysler Alt., and installed a GM alt. Problem gone....No regualtors, wiring issues, etc..Jsut an Alternator..Course, there's that GM thing sitting under your hood and all...

I was thinking of going the GM route with the charging system, was it a big job? At least i will not have to carry $500 dollars wort of parts in the trunk, like a spare alternator, voltage regulator,orange box,coil,and ballist resistor. Did i miss anything?

Actually, the hardest part (And it's not THAT hard) would be fabbin' the mounting bracket out of your old Mopar Bracket....The GM alt. (One wire) is cheap, realiable, easy to get anywhere, and for lack of a better term, WORKS....
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Crockett

ouch ouch ouch .. the Belgian dysfunctional system :-)

Christian, hope you get past the inspection phase soon !

Here's already my Charger giving you a blink of the eye00

David :-)

Charger 68 R/T 440

HeavyFuel

Ah, Christian. My young apprentice. Don't hate, but rather think of Lola as an extremely beautiful, but needy, girlfriend. You will need to buy her baubles to keep her happy, and you will need to preen her all the time to keep her feeling good about herself. But don't forget those glorious minutes (moments?  :rofl:) when she gives you immense satisfaction. And when you are with her on the road all those unfortunate others without such a woman will be envious of your sugar-daddy status with the most beautiful girlfriend in the world.

That is what Charger ownership is all about.  :2thumbs:

Dan
[/quote]

Well crap. 

I'm screwed then, because I have never been any good at keeping needy women happy.  Just check with my wife. 

Who wants a '68 R/t that's just about ready to get sprayed with new paint?  You're just in time to pick out your own color.

CB

This weekend I'll try to resurrect Lola and make sure she stays alive.
Need new plugs, some contact cleaner and a few terminals.

I'll keep you posted she cooperates or not.
(She better does :RantExplode: )
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

elanmars

Quote from: Hemidog on June 14, 2010, 04:27:22 PM
Hell yes!

Used up all my aggression on removing the windshield moldings to try and seal the windshield up with butyl (AGAIN!). Rain seeps through between the gasket and body.
Did it work?

Hell no!

oh man don't tell me that, that gives me false hope...my car didn't have the caulking or whatever around the top of the windshield, so that sorta remedied the water leaking in...however, the place i took it to didn't do the bottom part and the passenger side is wet, yet again....grrrr....so i'm hoping it's just the bottom part that's where the leak is coming from.
1969 Dodge Charger, pseudo General Lee., 1973 ratty Dodge Charger.

check out my photography: http://www.tomasraul.com
instagram: tomasraul
facebook: www.facebook.com/tomasraulphotography

resq302

don't feel bad.  I paid to have my windshield replaced (long story) and the guy refused to use the sealer around the gasket.  When I even showed him that it requires it per the factory service manual he still refused and said he would come back if it leaked.  After paying the $210 plus whatever the new gasket was that I purchased prior, it really got to me two hours after the guy left and I pulled the trim and everything off myself and popped the glass back out and ended up reinstalling the windshield and gasket with the required sealer.  I have yet to be out in the rain to test to see if it leaks.  I am keeping my fingers crossed that I did a good job.  Of course with all the crap that I put in there, it should have sealed up no problems.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

69*F5*SE

My car is far from being road-ready.  I hate that about it.  Other than that   :shruggy:

Cooter

I've learned one thing when dealing with weather and these type cars....

They leaked when new, they leaked while under warranty when new, they leaked while they were parked, and they continue to leak today....The design of these cars glass and rubber seal are Terrible...

elanmars

^has there been any way to improve upon that so it doesn't happen? in 40 years someone must have thought of something?

resq302

Well, you could use urethane but then the rubber gasket would be shot also so then if you have to replace your windshield , you need to spend almost another $100 to replace the gasket too.
Brian

CB

So I guess you guys really hate the fact Chargers leak  :icon_smile_blackeye:
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

resq302

Quote from: CB on June 18, 2010, 04:33:31 PM
So I guess you guys really hate the fact Chargers leak  :icon_smile_blackeye:

Bite your tongue Christian.  Mine doesn't leak yet.  Nor do I really give it an opportunity to see if it does.   :lol:  Although, if I happen to come upon a shower on the way out to or from Carlisle next month, I wouldn't mind to test it out.
Brian

Bob T

Quote from: HeavyFuel on June 17, 2010, 05:01:45 PM

Ah, Christian.

That is what Charger ownership is all about.  :2thumbs:

Dan

:lol: nice one Dan .....just took my neighbour and his daughter and my daughter out for a 40 mile countryside drive and lunch, we take driving our cars pretty much for granted but to others it can really make their whole weekend and its fun to do .

and yeah, fair enough bull, hope your 68 is making progress  :cheers:

so I dont hate it much at all, just annoying little niggles now and then to keep it running and reliable, this week replaced lower ball joint and alignment after total $230.79 - small price to pay for owning, maintaining and driving a classic not lost in a sea of mustangs and camaros
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

chargergirl

I hate being patient about my car while the race car gets finished...I hate that I have to sell a kidney to pay for the paint...well maybe not a kidney.
Trust your Woobie!

elanmars

Quote from: CB on June 18, 2010, 04:33:31 PM
So I guess you guys really hate the fact Chargers leak  :icon_smile_blackeye:

i do now! my '73 and previous '69 didn't have this issue but having a car that leaks in southern US where it can rain a lot and it's my daily driver...not so good. i don't care for wet floors and further rust and i think the leak has started to affect the car's speakers cables too.

i've managed to kind of keep it at bay by putting towels by where the leaks are, so that it doesn't wet the floor or cause too much damage. i also have to see about cleaning up the floor a bit too, as there's minor rust spots. me no like. :(

resq302

Elan,

What I did with mine was I found something called Herculiner that is a brushable / rollable type bedliner that you can put on stuff yourself.  They made it in red so I was able to match the color of my car and now have rust and water proofing on the floor boards of my charger.  When the carpet is installed, you dont see it.  Figured it would offer a little extra bit of protection.
Brian

69 rt

Christian, hope your now charging and the car is running properly, sure is a nice looking car. Also anyone who has done it, tell me about these GM alternators, they are supposed to work from what I hear. When I am at idle my headlights really go dim, even the radio starts losing power. Any thoughts?

69RT