News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

don't you sometimes hate your car? (8/13:inspected, licenced and ready to roll)

Started by CB, June 14, 2010, 11:00:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CB

Well, I do :flame: :flame: :flame:

As smooth this ride was when cruising in the States the more headache it gives me now :icon_smile_angry:

The battery won't charge. Replaced several bad wires and cleaned up the connections. Replaced the volt regulator, replaced the old ALT with a working ALT.

Nothing :shruggy:

The Charger had to be ready by now, appointment made to get it inspected tomorrow, getting plates on Wednesday and alignment on Saturday, took time off from work for this ... DAMN!!!

End rant, sorry I had to vent :icon_smile_angry:
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

bakerhillpins

Just send it to me. That will solve all your problems.  :yesnod:  ;D
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

moparstuart

are you sure you put a single field alternator on it ??

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

CB

Quote from: moparstuart on June 14, 2010, 11:03:53 AM
are you sure you put a single field alternator on it ??

Everything is stock except MSD 6AL ignition / elec.volt regulator ....
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

Cooter

I was thinking the DUAL field Alt. was used with the Electronic Voltage regulator.....And the Single Field alt. was used with the old style Mechanical regulator...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

moparstuart

Quote from: Cooter on June 14, 2010, 11:33:09 AM
I was thinking the DUAL field Alt. was used with the Electronic Voltage regulator.....And the Single Field alt. was used with the old style Mechanical regulator...
so with this MSD set up does he need to move up to a 70 style dual field  :shruggy:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Ghoste

I have a single field with an electronic regulator and MSD6-AL.

bull

Yes I sometimes hate my car but I also rarely feel sorry for anyone whose Charger is in one piece and frequently moves around on public highways under its own power.

Charger´69

Quote from: CB on June 14, 2010, 11:00:38 AM

As smooth this ride was when cruising in the States the more headache it gives me now :icon_smile_angry:

The battery won't charge. Replaced several bad wires and cleaned up the connections. Replaced the volt regulator, replaced the old ALT with a working ALT.

The Charger had to be ready by now, appointment made to get it inspected tomorrow, getting plates on Wednesday and alignment on Saturday, took time off from work for this ... DAMN!!!

I´m with you with that  :hah:

I have same problems, it won´t charge always  :flame: I have cleaned up connections, checked alternator and cleaned it and so on but it won´t start to charge always. Sometimes it starts to charge but now I think my VR is dead because it didn´t start to charge at all last week and it let battery go empty. Tomorrow I´ll get new voltage regulator, I hope that solve this problem. If not, I´ll have to buy new alternator and and and.......  :shruggy:
Plymouth Fury "Christine's Sister" 4x4 6-71 1959
Dodge Charger R/T 440cid 1969
Pontiac Trans Am T-top SuperBandit 400cid 1978
Jeep Cherokee Renegade 4x4 3.7 2006

Charger´69

Quote from: Ghoste on June 14, 2010, 11:50:03 AM
I have a single field with an electronic regulator and MSD6-AL.

How you know is it single field or dual field alternator..?  :scratchchin: Because I have electronic VR but I don´t know what my alternator is  :scratchchin:
Plymouth Fury "Christine's Sister" 4x4 6-71 1959
Dodge Charger R/T 440cid 1969
Pontiac Trans Am T-top SuperBandit 400cid 1978
Jeep Cherokee Renegade 4x4 3.7 2006

bakerhillpins

Replaced several bad wires and cleaned up the connections. Replaced the volt regulator, replaced the old ALT with a working ALT.

When you replaced the wires and cleaned up connections are you sure you tightened the nuts on the connections and/or pushed the pins all the way back into their connectors? I've done both and its frustrating because you can't see the forest for the trees.
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Ghoste

If there is one field terminal or two on the alternator.  Technically I have a dual field one but I have grounded one field out since I only have wiring to connect to a single field alternator.  I have a single one in the shop that I was running but I got a great deal on the rebuilt dual field one I am using now.  My regulator is one of those aftermarket ones that is for use with the single field setup so there were no wiring changes for that either.

68blue

Never hate the car itself, just the bills for the parts. ;)

Dans 68

Ah, Christian. My young apprentice. Don't hate, but rather think of Lola as an extremely beautiful, but needy, girlfriend. You will need to buy her baubles to keep her happy, and you will need to preen her all the time to keep her feeling good about herself. But don't forget those glorious minutes (moments?  :rofl:) when she gives you immense satisfaction. And when you are with her on the road all those unfortunate others without such a woman will be envious of your sugar-daddy status with the most beautiful girlfriend in the world.

That is what Charger ownership is all about.  :2thumbs:

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

resq302

I think we all get to that point at sometime.  I had that feeling lately when the alternator pivot bolt snapped off inside the head on me.  That was the second time in two years.  It gets frustrating for sure but in the end, you just have to take a step back and just give yourself time to relax and think about what the problem might be.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Troy

Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

1970Moparmann

Couple things for you, more of my experience with this issue.

My Coronet had the same issue, and it also ran like crap.  I fooled around with it for years, and the system just would not charge.  I wound up driving off the battery just because I was sick and tired of dealing with it.  Well, I wound up putting new wire harnesses in the car, since the original wires were in the car, and whammmoooo it charges!  Could have been back connectors, wires, but I bit the bullet and put new wiring throughout and the first thing I checked was the charging, and it's good to go!

Second, on my 68 Charger, I had an issue with it not charging.  I called Power Master up and since my alternator had a second terminal, they said to ground the second terminal and I'll be good.  Sure enough, it worked! 

I know it can be frustrating, BELIEVE ME!  I just went through 4 weeks of solid crap to get ready for the Hot Rod Power Tour.

Hope this helps! :2thumbs:
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

Belgium R/T -68

Tell me about it CB, I've done that alot. :yesnod: Like I said saturday, let me know when you have time and I will come over. :2thumbs:

Per
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

alcusswhen

Replace the battery.

Bone 7

73 Charger SE/ 318/391 stroker, 2500 Boss Hogg converter/ 391 sure grip.
07 Charger R/T

68blue

Quote from: Dans 68 on June 14, 2010, 12:21:59 PM

Ah, Christian. My young apprentice. Don't hate, but rather think of Lola as an extremely beautiful, but needy, girlfriend. You will need to buy her baubles to keep her happy, and you will need to preen her all the time to keep her feeling good about herself. But don't forget those glorious minutes (moments?  :rofl:) when she gives you immense satisfaction. And when you are with her on the road all those unfortunate others without such a woman will be envious of your sugar-daddy status with the most beautiful girlfriend in the world.

That is what Charger ownership is all about.  :2thumbs:

Dan

Gotta be careful about letting the wife read stuff like this. :smilielol:

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

CB

Quote from: alcusswhen on June 14, 2010, 03:37:14 PM

Replace the battery.

Forgot to mention, got a brand new battery...
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

Hemidog

Hell yes!

Used up all my aggression on removing the windshield moldings to try and seal the windshield up with butyl (AGAIN!). Rain seeps through between the gasket and body.
Did it work?

Hell no!

1969chargerrtse

I used to hate my car, but now that I replaced most parts and it runs good, I'm in love with it.  :icon_smile_big:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

1970Moparmann

Quote from: Hemidog on June 14, 2010, 04:27:22 PM
Hell yes!

Used up all my aggression on removing the windshield moldings to try and seal the windshield up with butyl (AGAIN!). Rain seeps through between the gasket and body.
Did it work?

Hell no!

Just found this issue on Wednesday!!! Boy does that suck!
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!