News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

4 speed clutch linkage upgarde?

Started by c00nhunterjoe, June 06, 2010, 10:58:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

c00nhunterjoe

i am so tired of loosing my clutch pedal. after installing a solid driver's motor mount the problem became ALOT better but i will still occasionally have the z-bar pop off the ball mount. its emabarassing and very much a pain in the butt to reassemble with nice hot headers in the way. i dont want to install a hydraulic system so is anyone aware of an upgraded mechanical linkage setup? if not i am thinking about building my own z-bar and linkage with heim joints

John_Kunkel

Does your Z-bar have the wire retainer for the ball half-bushings?
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

c00nhunterjoe

Yes, i have the retainer but under wide open speed shifts it will still come apart at times..

John_Kunkel

Sounds like the Z-bar tube is too short. It should take a whole lot of movement to allow the half-bushings to pop out of the tube.

Chatt69chgr

Anybody have the correct length for the Z bar?  I am converting my 69 to 4-speed and bought a Z bar from, I think, Brewers----would like to see if it's the right length.  For that matter, is the Z bar supposed to be painted or natural or what?  I think the one I bought was chrome plated although I didn't know that when I ordered it.

62 Max

John_Kunkel

There is no one correct B body length, depends on year and clutch size.

maxwellwedge

Quote from: Chatt69chgr on June 08, 2010, 10:23:31 PM
Anybody have the correct length for the Z bar?  I am converting my 69 to 4-speed and bought a Z bar from, I think, Brewers----would like to see if it's the right length.  For that matter, is the Z bar supposed to be painted or natural or what?  I think the one I bought was chrome plated although I didn't know that when I ordered it.

Silver Cad mostly - have seen some Gold now and then.

Chatt69chgr

John,
My car is a 69 Charger.  Clutch is 11 inch with 143 tooth flywheel (440/A833).  What would be the correct length Z-bar for this application?  9-1/8 inch?

John_Kunkel

I'd call Brewer's for that info, part numbers is all I have.