News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Have you ever seen day and night?

Started by 472 R/T SE, December 15, 2005, 10:11:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

472 R/T SE

I got this in an email today, pretty cool!

The photograph attached was taken by the crew on board the Columbia
during its last mission, on a cloudless day.
The picture is of Europe and Africa when the sun is setting.
Half of the picture is in night. The bright dots you see are the cities' lights.

The top part of Africa is the Sahara Desert .

Note that the lights are already on in Holland , Paris , and Barcelona,
and that's it's still daylight in Dublin , London , Lisbon , and Madrid .

The sun is still shining on the Strait of Gibraltar . The Mediterranean Sea is
already in darkness.

In the middle of the Atlantic Ocean you can see the Azores Islands;
below them to the right are the Madeira Islands ; a bit below are the
Canary Islands; and further South, close to the farthest western point
of Africa , are the Cape Verde Islands.

Note that the Sahara is huge and can be seen clearly both during
day time and night time.

To the left, on top, is Greenland, totally frozen.

golden73

Lowprofile

This rock we live on is truly amazing. Great Photo :2thumbs:
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

Charger_Fan

I don't ever want to visit greenland...brrr!

That is a pretty cool pic, though! :thumbs:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

TruckDriver

PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

bull

I've seen it but never that close up. Very cool.

Charger_Croatia

'73 Charger with 400 (under restore)
2018 Infiniti Q50 Hybrid AWD Blue Sport

Rocky

Sorry to burst your bubble, but that photo cannot be real.  If it were the Sahara would be the blackest part of the photo, and you would not see any visible lights during daylight, especially in Africa.  the bodies of water are too clear, and would most likely be visible only if there were bioluminescent lifeforms in the water active at the same time.

It is still a cool picture.

Rocky

4402tuff4u

Very cool picture! I also think there would be a more gradual darkening from daylight to night. That looks as if there was something creating the shade - possibly an eclipse?
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

Charger4404spd

Well you have to consider the altitude at which the pic was taken. Drop down a few thousand feet and the "gradual darkening" line would become wider and wider. The ocean water does look a bit funny though.
Either way, cool pic!

inhrmswy

Also look at the shape of the shadow if it were natural it would be symetrical.

Shakey

Recharger

Definitely looks like some photochop trickery to me.

Silver R/T

ya pretty cool stuff. I dont get how some morons think this all could 'evolve' from out of nowhere lol
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Orange_Crush

Quote from: Silver R/T on December 16, 2005, 10:40:31 PM
ya pretty cool stuff. I dont get how some morons think this all could 'evolve' from out of nowhere lol

Hawking
Darwin
Sagan

MORONS!  ALL OF THEM!
I ain't got time for pain, the only pain I got time for is the pain i put on fools how don't know what time it is.

bull

Quote from: Orange_Crush on December 16, 2005, 11:07:10 PM

Hawking
Darwin
Sagan

MORONS!   ALL OF THEM!

Educated morons. Let's get it right.

Actually, let me rephrase that. They are not morons, they are actually quite genius, I just think they're basing their conclusions on flawed assumptions.

last426

Quote from: bull on December 16, 2005, 11:21:02 PM

Hawking
Darwin
Sagan

MORONS!   ALL OF THEM!

Actually, let me rephrase that. They are not morons, they are actually quite genius, I just think they're basing their conclusions on flawed assumptions.

It's simple.  Go get a Phd from a decent university in a hard science, maybe biology.  Be astute enough to get on to a peer review journal.  Then review the articles that come your way, debunk them, and convince your peers that they are incorrect.  Oh, just a second, I guess that starts with high school, then college, then graduate school, hmmm, might take a few years.  But then do get back to me, 'k?  Kim

89MOPAR

No wonder the Paris to Dakar rally is so grueling , seen this way the Sahara is HUGE.
PS- Paris to Dakar runs in January   :icon_smile:
77 Ram-Charger SE factory 440 'Macho' package
03 Ram Hemi 4x4 Pickup
Noble M400
72 Satellite Sebring Plus +

bull

Quote from: last426 on December 17, 2005, 01:58:47 AM

Hawking
Darwin
Sagan

MORONS!   ALL OF THEM!

It's simple.   Go get a Phd from a decent university in a hard science, maybe biology.   Be astute enough to get on to a peer review journal.   Then review the articles that come your way, debunk them, and convince your peers that they are incorrect.   Oh, just a second, I guess that starts with high school, then college, then graduate school, hmmm, might take a few years.   But then do get back to me, 'k?   Kim

Are you talking to me or all the people who have Doctorate degrees in Earth sciences and don't believe in evolution?

"Before God we are all equally wise - and equally foolish." --Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Telvis

Charger_Fan

You guys do realize that you're getting your blood pressure up over Silver...right? :nana:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

last426

Quote from: bull on December 17, 2005, 03:31:22 AM

Hawking
Darwin
Sagan

MORONS!   ALL OF THEM!

It's simple.   Go get a Phd from a decent university in a hard science, maybe biology.   Be astute enough to get on to a peer review journal.   Then review the articles that come your way, debunk them, and convince your peers that they are incorrect.   Oh, just a second, I guess that starts with high school, then college, then graduate school, hmmm, might take a few years.   But then do get back to me, 'k?   Kim

Are you talking to me or all the people who have Doctorate degrees in Earth sciences and don't believe in evolution?

"Before God we are all equally wise - and equally foolish." --Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Cool, then it should be no problem for you to cite a few peer reviewed journals that debunk that evolution stuff and be done with it all.  That's science, anything else is faith based and beyond proof.  Kim

bull

Quote from: last426 on December 17, 2005, 02:16:45 PM
Quote from: bull on December 17, 2005, 03:31:22 AM

Hawking
Darwin
Sagan

MORONS!   ALL OF THEM!

Cool, then it should be no problem for you to cite a few peer reviewed journals that debunk that evolution stuff and be done with it all.   That's science, anything else is faith based and beyond proof.   Kim

I knew you were going to say that and I had already decided not to bother. What's the point? Should I spend an hour researching the names and then put some creation scientists on parade for you do scoff at? What's going to change? Is either one of us going to adopt the opinions of the other due to the "facts" we put on display here? Are you suddenly going to admit there is a God who created everything you see and repent, or am I going to shred my NRA card and start protesting at rodeos? Why waste my time arguing with you? If you're really that interested just go and do the research yourself. Trust me, it's out there.

last426

It appears that the Court (conservative Judge as I understand) agrees with my position.   Teach your children well, in public school teach them science while in church or private school teach them "alternative" theories.  What is really sad is that the Christians (according to the Judge) outright lied and lied.  And this was under oath?  So much for the concept that an oath means anything.  Merry Xmas.  Kim

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/20/science/sciencespecial2/20cnd-evolution.html?incamp=article_popular_5

Old Moparz

Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry