News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Pinion angle nose up, what the?

Started by LeadfootBob, July 18, 2010, 09:20:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeadfootBob

Here's an interesting one for you guys to ponder:
8 3/4 axle, stock length, oval track #451 springs, #079 hangers, QA1 shocks, standard rear shackles, standard shock plates/U-bolts et cetera. No sway bar installed yet.
Bolted everything together and immediately noticed two things.
A: the pinion is about 10 degrees nose up with both spring pads flat on the springs and bolted down snug.
B: the rear shackles are pointed almost straight down with the car sitting on the ground, slightly off center forward.

Tried both height settings on the hangers, no effect from what I can see.
Now what?  Space out the front hangers from the body? 12-15 degree shims? :shruggy:
Proud member of the jack stand racing team since 1999.
'70 Charger 500: "Bronson", some kind of hillbilly hot rod in progress.
'89 Chevy Caprice 9C1: "it's got a cop motor..."

elacruze

Weld new perches inboard and move the springs... :cheers:
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

HPP

Did you use longer front hangers? Oval track spring front segments are only 21" unlike the stock 22" segment or SS 20" segments. So that defiently is an impact to your shackle angle. Also not uncommon to need to adjust pinion angle with such a change in spring camber that accompanies the oval track springs sets. Angle shim set can change that up in short order.

LeadfootBob

Yup, longer hangers (#079 is the Moperf SS hanger for a 117" wheelbase B-body).
Lifting the car up by the pumpkin the shackles point straight forward, but compressing the suspension while on the ground they move in the normal fashion albeit not too far back.
I'll try the shims, hopefully that will cure it... If not, I'm in a bit of a pickle  :yesnod:

If problem persists, further consultation will be necessary. If not, thanks in advance  :cheers:
Proud member of the jack stand racing team since 1999.
'70 Charger 500: "Bronson", some kind of hillbilly hot rod in progress.
'89 Chevy Caprice 9C1: "it's got a cop motor..."