News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Valve Cover Breathers

Started by bobs66440, June 09, 2010, 06:34:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobs66440

My engine is using what I think is an excessive amount of oil. It doesn't leak or smoke and the head gaskets are good. It does have a lot of blow-by...it comes out around the grommet and PCV breather on the passenger's side. Seems it's more than the PCV can handle so it's leaking past. I've tried almost everything to seal it with no luck. The PCV and breathers are all new (see pics) and there's 20in of vacuum at the hose.

My question is: Is there any reason why I can't eliminate the PCV, run a oil separator/breather on the passenger's side (hoping that it will drain back into the engine) with a hose to one of the air cleaners and keep the open breather on the drivers side? I know it's unconventional but I don't know what else to do.

http://www.amazon.com/Moroso-68781-Oil-Separator-Breather/dp/B000COU3NS

Bob   :cheers:

charger Downunder

I dont think you have a pcv valve looks like you have two breathers.
[/quote]

bobs66440

Quote from: charger Downunder on June 10, 2010, 04:12:30 AM
I dont think you have a pcv valve looks like you have two breathers.
That is the PCV on the passenger's side. It's called a combination PCV/breather...looks like a breather but has a PCV mechanism inside and doesn't have external breather holes. The one on the driver's side is just an open breather/oil fill. Both valve covers also have baffle plates inside.

Bob

maxwellwedge

Doesn't sound likes it's working properly...

bobs66440

Quote from: maxwellwedge on June 10, 2010, 08:20:13 AM
Doesn't sound likes it's working properly...

It's brand new, which is no guarantee, but it's pulling 20 in. of vacuum through it at idle and it rattles when I shake it. Also, when I blip the throttle I can hear it opening and closing with a "click". I think it's ok.  :shruggy:

bordin34

Maybe try some different valve covers if your current ones don't have baffles.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

bobs66440

Quote from: bordin34 on June 10, 2010, 08:22:54 PM
Maybe try some different valve covers if your current ones don't have baffles.

They both have baffles.

oldcarnut

This may be totally off base but I'm going to throw it out there.  Is there another port you can connect the hose to that has less vacuum or put in a restrictor?  I had a engine with a high volume oil pump in it that between all the extra oil pumped into the heads and a high vacuum, it was pulling the oil into hose and then would drain back causing a leak.  Granted the baffles were less than desired but after running the PVC hose to the breather instead, it helped a lot.  :shruggy:

bobs66440

Quote from: oldcarnut on June 10, 2010, 10:15:48 PM
This may be totally off base but I'm going to throw it out there.  Is there another port you can connect the hose to that has less vacuum or put in a restrictor?  I had a engine with a high volume oil pump in it that between all the extra oil pumped into the heads and a high vacuum, it was pulling the oil into hose and then would drain back causing a leak.  Granted the baffles were less than desired but after running the PVC hose to the breather instead, it helped a lot.  :shruggy:
So, you ran the hose from the carb to a breather instead of the PCV?

firefighter3931

It might be time for compression & leakdown tests to see what's going on. If it's pushing oil out of the grommets there is a lot of crankcase pressure. Have you tried using two breathers and eliminating the PCV valve ?

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

oldcarnut

Quote from: bobs66440 on June 11, 2010, 06:36:27 AM
So, you ran the hose from the carb to a breather instead of the PCV?

No, I had a combo like yours but I ran the hose to a fitting on the bottom of the carb breather base plate.  It helped vent the crankcase fumes but didn't suck it out along with oil mist under vacuum pressure.  I would check as Ron said your compression to make sure things are ok there.

bobs66440

Thanks for the replys guys.  I went today and got another breather for the passenger's side and eliminated the PCV. I'll give it a little time and see how that works.
I can smell the fumes inside the car a little more than before but it's not too bad.

I would like to do a leakdown test on it but I don't have a kit. Not that it would make much difference because I can't really afford to rebuild the motor anyway, but it would be nice to see what's going on. I'll have to try to find someone to do it or borrow a kit.

If this works, I will try to run a hose to the air cleaner base as oldcarnut mentioned to try to help eliminate the fumes.

I'll keep you posted.   :2thumbs: