News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

More six pack carb issues

Started by 70charginglizard, June 05, 2010, 04:49:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70charginglizard

I'll give you guys this one to ponder over this weekend.

My new six pack set up I purchased from Atlantic Speed at the end of last year and installed on the liz started having another issue today. It's starting surging again like it was when I first installed it but this time not only at highway speeds but at an idol. Almost died a couple of times at the intersections on the way back home.

When I got it home and pulled off the air filter housing I noticed a fizzing and gugglin sound comin from the fwd carb. Looked down it's throat to notice fuel leaking in from the discharge nozzel. Pretty bad too. and then collecting at the base of the carb and leaking out of the side where the linkage rod connects into the side of the carb and leaking down onto my hot exhaust. (now that cant be good)

Anyone here have any ideas what may be causing this issue?

The aft carb isnt doin this. only the fwd one.

Mid main carb seems to be fine as well. No problems.

Help...

70charginglizard

70charginglizard

oh and here is a pic for you all for clarrification purposes-

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
70charginglizard

b5blue

When cooled off, remove bowl float height screw on pass. side of front bowl and check float height. The float may be stuck open. Fuel should just "dribble" out of there when running. Put a rag under there first as if it is overflowed a good bit of gas will run out. Peak inside with a flash light to see if float is up.  :scratchchin: Above all do not panic my old re-done six-pack ran for 6-7 years with no adjustments or issues until the center bowl seeped a tiny bit of fuel! Are you running a stock six-pack fuel pump and vapor separator set-up? They only want 5lbs of pressure but require more volume. Tapping on the float height adjuster screw is an age old remedy for a stuck float but I've never done it or liked the idea of "every now and then having to do it".  :eek2:

70charginglizard

Quote from: b5blue on June 05, 2010, 05:50:36 PM
When cooled off, remove bowl float height screw on pass. side of front bowl and check float height. The float may be stuck open. Fuel should just "dribble" out of there when running. Put a rag under there first as if it is overflowed a good bit of gas will run out. Peak inside with a flash light to see if float is up.  :scratchchin: Above all do not panic my old re-done six-pack ran for 6-7 years with no adjustments or issues until the center bowl seeped a tiny bit of fuel! Are you running a stock six-pack fuel pump and vapor separator set-up? They only want 5lbs of pressure but require more volume. Tapping on the float height adjuster screw is an age old remedy for a stuck float but I've never done it or liked the idea of "every now and then having to do it".  :eek2:

Yep. That seems to be what my other mopar buds on the phone are saying. I think the float just got stuck open. I bowl float hight screw out to find the float was all the way up. Think the adjustment is out of wack.

I'm gonna try messin with that and see how things go. If all else fails I guess I'll just have to pull the whole front cover off and adjust wit off the carb.

70charginglizard

b5blue

I've been wondering if the fuel mix with alcohol in it is going to effect these rubber tips.  :scratchchin:

70charginglizard

Quote from: b5blue on June 05, 2010, 06:34:35 PM
I've been wondering if the fuel mix with alcohol in it is going to effect these rubber tips.  :scratchchin:

Alcohol?  

Dont know. But the adjustments I made of the float screw seem to have stopped the problem. Only time will tell though. Well see for sure after I drive it around some more. I'm not seeing the leak out the side anymore though so I may have the problem solved.  ;)

oh and answer to your question above-

"Are you running a stock six-pack fuel pump and vapor separator set-up? They only want 5lbs of pressure but require more volume"

Stock six pack fuel pump yes.....vapor seperator. not so much. Do I really need to run with one of those?  Didnt have one on the 4BBL set up and never ran into any problems there. and I dont see any talk of it anywhere in my mopar six pack engine handbook.
70charginglizard

maxwellwedge

Is your car an R/T? It would have come with a vap. sep and a return line to the tank. Did you crank the float bowl screw too much? You should do a reading with the side screws on the bowls. b5blue was talking about the crap ethanol they mix in the gas now that could eat up rubber and possibly the tip of your float needle and seat.

70charginglizard

Quote from: maxwellwedge on June 05, 2010, 10:13:37 PM
Is your car an R/T? It would have come with a vap. sep and a return line to the tank. Did you crank the float bowl screw too much? You should do a reading with the side screws on the bowls. b5blue was talking about the crap ethanol they mix in the gas now that could eat up rubber and possibly the tip of your float needle and seat.

Nope. Replicar.
Originally came with a 383 2bbl. Never had the fuel return line. just the line from the tank to the fuel pump.
If I installed a vapor seperator I would have to track down all the return line stuff to run the seperator because my car doesnt have any of it.

I'm not sure how that float bowl adjustment screw got out of wack. It wasnt doing this just a couple of days ago when I did the colby cruise. Maybe someone at the show messed with it when I wasnt watching. That wouldnt suprise me.

Yeah I've heard about the crappy gas being a possible culprit as well. I've only been running premium in it since I went to the six pack set up last December. but I'm sure they dump that stupid alcohol in that premium stuff as well. Don't know how to get around that issue if that is whats causing issues with the bowl.

Although the others (mid and aft one) dont seem to be havin this problem just that fwd one which makes me even more suspcious of that last car show thing I did last Monday.

Regarless...I seem to have fixed the issue for now. Not leakin anymore after my latest adjustments.
70charginglizard

b5blue

I added the large fuel line (custom style) and used the old smaller line (318 car originally) as the return, it's a little goofy but functional. I was chasing a perceived vapor lock on a hard to re-start when hot issue. (not real bad but some extra cranking) Turned out later I found out it was heat soak, changed to a heat blocked off valley pan (I drilled a 1/8" hole in each side of the block off to let "some" heat warm choke bowl on intake) PRESTO! No more problem. I do not think you need to add it as I ran fine for years before hooking it up.