News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hook the breather hose back up?

Started by Sixt8Chrgr, June 05, 2010, 04:00:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sixt8Chrgr

I just put Mopar Polished Al. valve covers on my 68 383, and have the PCV hooked up to the carb but dont have the hose from the air filter on top of the carb connected to the other valve cover. I have the twist on cap that came with the valve covers in place of the push on cap/oil fill location. Can I run the car this way or do I need to get a twist on breather with a hose fitting and plumb back to the air cleaner on top of the carb?

Thanks,

maxwellwedge

As long it is properly vented and on the opposite side of the PCV you should be fine.

firefighter3931

Quote from: maxwellwedge on June 06, 2010, 08:40:18 AM
As long it is properly vented and on the opposite side of the PCV you should be fine.

I agree...a breather on the opposite VC as the PCV valve is all you need.  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

b5blue

I think he is saying he does not, it is just a non vented cap. You can pick up a nice chrome breather cap (twist on) from Mr. Gasket that will fit and use as an oil fill too.

Sixt8Chrgr

B5 Blue...you are right. I don't have a breather on the other side just a twist on non vented cap. The question is do I need a breather? Or is the PCV enough?

Thanks!

68coronetGLwannabe

If I read this correctly you need the PCV on one valve cover and you must have a vented cap on the other valve cover. Sounds like all you need is a twist on breather. No need to get one with a hose fitting and plumb it together unless there is a open fitting on the bottom of breather.
I pointed to two old drunks sitting across the bar from us and told my friend
"That's us in 10 years".
He said "That's a mirror, dip-shit!

Sixt8Chrgr

So I do need a breather on the VC that does not have the PCV? Either a breather with or without a hose fitting my preference?

histoy

The answer is Yes to both questions.

Sixt8Chrgr

c00nhunterjoe

in order for the pcv system to work you must have a breather in the opposite cover. this allows atmospheric air to enter the crankcase as the engine vaccum draws the blowby gases out of the crankcase at idle/off throttle applications and then allows blowby gases to exit the crankcase through the breather under acceleration/non engine vaccum conditions

Sixt8Chrgr

Hooked it back up just like from the factory. One side the PCV the other side a push in oil cap connected to a hose which is connected to the air cleaner breather.

b5blue